German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I doubt that at 5 months she is being protective/territorial at all. What is she doing that makes you think this?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
i am not sure if i fully agree, i think some dogs really do start to show themselves at that age, just talking from my own experience. my 5mo pups like to go nuts at that age just like their moms did. most likely fear based but whatever, a watchdog is to alert, doesn't really matter what the motivation is, it all comes out the same.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I bet it is derived from fear. I wouldn't reinforce a fearful behavior. I protect my pup he doesn't protect me.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Most likely it has to do with fear / temperament or no adequate socialization. A five month old is not protective. To me it is a sign to up her good experiences in the real world and get her out as often as you can.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
is fear not just protectig ones self or immeadiatte pack? that is still protective.
Not when, generally, the "fear response" when something truly does put pressure on the dog, is flight. I would bet a lot of money I could make the dog run, and I am a smaller female. Of course if I backed him into a corner, he'd bite, but it'd probably be a run up, nip, and retreat.

Of course this is just an internet assumption. I have never met the dog, nor do I know his genetic nerve base. But, strong, stable, balanced nerved dogs, are few and far between these days in the States.

Regardless, a five month old puppy should be playfully happy about the world, building confidence, and put in situations it can ONLY win in. Lots of ***proper socialization, with older neutral dogs, and shown that it's owner is leader and protector, that it does not have to worry about anything because it's owner has it's back. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
A true protection dog is never fearful. Fear is not a good foundation for protection as they are unpredictable. The best protectors are the ones who are not afraid of anything. Then you can rely on them but only if needed.
Check with the Schutzhund people

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
a 5 month old puppy is not being protective or territorial. Its a fear response.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
OP, your and my definition of "protection" is probably different. To me, a dog that can "protect" is mature, calm, and hard. No situation can really "rock" the dog. He can work through pressure with his defensive drives, calmly. Any dog can bark and alert. A protective dog will calmly assess a situation, no hackles, no growling, no barking, no lunging. Just assess the situation and only when deemed dangerous, does he act, usually only to the needed extent (ie doesn't bite when a warning bark will do). Again, there is no frantic behavior, no shifty eyes/hackles/etc, and this can all happen in a matter of seconds.

Frantically barking, jumping around, hackles raised, whining, lunging, ESPECIALLY at a complete non-threat (told to the dog by my body language and/or command), is NOT protection, TO ME.

Others consider what I described in the last paragraph protection, all the more power to you. But, your dog will run if someone does break into your house and gives him a good kick to the face. Chances are he will run away yipping and hide. What IS very likely if this type of behavior is reinforced is a dog that will bite a non-threat.

I do not agree with people who say, "my dog goes nuts when I am at the gas station/fast food place/park and the gas attendent/employee approaches(or simply walks by) the car, he's protective of my car/house/property." To ME that is not PROPER protection, that is fear based, frantic, mis-placed, aggression....NOT something I would encourage or brag about. He is being aggressive to NON threats.

I guess what I am saying is, protection is a culmination of a lot of things, aggression, nerve, fear, biting, etc...the question isn't "is it protection," to me, the question is, "is it proper protection behavior, and what are your expectations of your dog?" If you just want a dog that alerts you, than, mis-placed, fear, aggression, is fine. Your dog will alert you. Your expectations of this dog should not be to attack someone in a "burglary/threatening" situation. The dog will, most likely use "flight" at the first given opportunity. He will possibly display forward flight, and may bite if cornered, but will not be defensive THROUGH pressure (kicking, yelling, hitting, shooting, etc).

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
A true protection dog is never fearful. Fear is not a good foundation for protection as they are unpredictable. The best protectors are the ones who are not afraid of anything. Then you can rely on them but only if needed.
Check with the Schutzhund people
the only living thing that is not fearful under a perceived or real threat is the psychotic who is of no use to its species.

i got that from a viet-vet who won a medal for bravery in combat.

"Check with the Schutzhund people" are you serious??

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Goodness - why in the world would anyone ever want a baby to pretend to protect one self!

What terrible habits of behavior is this creating?

My adult male will and had protected but a 5mo puppy?

Would anyone want their 3yo son (or daughter) to protect them as well?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Any dog can bark and alert. A protective dog will calmly assess a situation, no hackles, no growling, no barking, no lunging. Just assess the situation and only when deemed dangerous, does he act, usually only to the needed extent (ie doesn't bite when a warning bark will do). Again, there is no frantic behavior, no shifty eyes/hackles/etc, and this can all happen in a matter of seconds.

cant disagree with any of that in theory except that it sounds like the typical BS hype that executive protection dog peddlers run their mouth and their websites about - huge lack of these dogs and handlers around when it comes to proving time, there is just lots of excuses.

i might add the OP's dog is 5mo, so yr description of courage is talking about nothing to do with this thread.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
"Check with the Schutzhund people" are you serious??[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? Yes, steer clear of those that are training their dogs in THE test for PROPER protective instincts in the German Shepherd Dog. :rolleyes: I can't tell you how many breeders have brought their un-titled GSDs, to a sch club, bragging about solid nerve, balanced drives, etc..and then when the pressure was LIGHTLY put on their dogs (eye contact, puffing cheeks, forward pressure by the helper), the dogs showed total avoidance, hid behind the handler, or tried to run off the field....

I guarantee you, most Sch people would NOT expect their dog to get into a fight for them. And their dogs are trained to handle it, and their instincts, properly.

Again, I think your idea of protection and fear is just very different than mine. To each their own.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
the only living thing that is not fearful under a perceived or real threat is the psychotic who is of no use to its species.

i got that from a viet-vet who won a medal for bravery in combat.

"Check with the Schutzhund people" are you serious??

Speaking as a VV, one can define fear in terms of behavior not as a feeling!

True bravery involves acting bravely in the presence of true (or perceived) fear.

A dog facing off with a bear or wolf or bad guy to protect it's owner of course would prefer to be elsewhere; BUT will defend to the best of it'e ability in spite of that fear.

A dog we classify as "Fearful" is one who ACTS fearful!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Goodness - why in the world would anyone ever want a baby to pretend to protect one self!

Would anyone want their 3yo son (or daughter) to protect them as well?
And be set up to fail.

I have an army of three year old children to protect me lol. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
A dog we classify as "Fearful" is one who ACTS fearful!
this is where i have problems with the words, if the action comes out the same ie attacks the sugar out of the threat and neutralises it, what does it matter how WE percieve the motivation for that action, the threat has been eleiminated, if it was a clam full grip or a slashing staccato attack- really what does it matter you/it survived??

1 - 20 of 54 Posts