German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I strapped on Smokey and Zeeva's e collars, took them to a 3 way fenced off area and let them run amuck. It felt good.

Because yesterday Zeeva drove me up a wall. Our neighbors had a party and there were quite a few people with the smell of alcohol and loud chit chatter in the air. I think Zeeva has anxiety. I wonder if I take her to the vet and get her anti anxiety meds if she'll stop her pacing, crying and jumping against the wall...? I know it's unfair to zap her on her e collar. But sometimes I have to to keep her safe. She got her back leg caught in the stupid hammock yesterday and she could've broken it because she was so anxious and jumping like a kangaroo against the wall. I've a feeling she pulled a muscle. I took down the hammock. And I leave her e collar on in case I need her to calm down :c

I think, I think, I think I don't want my dogs any more. I mean Smokey is fine. But Zeeva is a bit crazy. I do wonder if my life would be better without them because right now they're the reason I get out of bed and am not sedentary all day. Most of the time I feel they're the source of my anxiety, frustration, depression and worry. I dunno...I don't even think I could find Zeeva a good home. I've no energy, motivation, desire or drive (maybe I'm lazy) to do it. Not that I'd dump her in a shelter or something. Just that I'd rather wait it out (or suffer it out) than do almost anything...because maybe it's just the stress from the heat and living at home right now. I know a couple people have mentioned that dogs are meant to enrich our lives and that I should rehome them if it's a burden for me to take care of them. And it is almost daily that I struggle. The question is, is it because of them that I struggle or is it just how my life would be even without them...

Do you EVER struggle because of your dogs. Or are your dogs a constant source of happiness?

·
Registered
359 Posts
My dogs are always a constant source of happiness. Even while Reba was dying of cancer and it was just tearing me up inside, the times that we had together even during the last week, the last day of her life never made me sad or regretful.

There are times where I have had struggles. Mostly just struggles within my own life which would happen to impact my dogs. There were times where I had to sell my belongings on Craigslist just so I could buy them food. Times were great when I got my dogs, then just gradually got worse over time, and constantly cycling good, bad, good, bad, great...and now we're in a rough patch again. There were nights that I went to bed crying, thinking that I would just rehome Reba, send Discoe back to her breeder, and that everyone would just be better off. The dogs themselves weren't a source of my negative feelings, but their existence, compounded with everything else I had to deal with, caused me anxiety that I figured I wouldn't have to deal with if they weren't around.

But even through those terrible times, I couldn't deny that the dogs themselves made me happy. Like you said: they were the reason that I got up, didn't become sedentary. They were the reason that I even tried. I fought tooth and nail for a job not because I wanted a better life for myself or because I wanted a new video game system or a new piece of computer equipment or a new camera lens, but because I wanted to renew Reba's Therapy Dog certification. Because I wanted Discoe to have new toys instead of Reba's ratty hand-me-downs and I wanted her to have a better food than she had been eating. Those are things that make me happy (along with new video games and computer equipment and new camera lenses...lol)

The struggles were major at the times, and there are times where I thought it would never get better, but when things DO eventually get better, it all seems so far away and I almost felt ridiculous for feeling the things that I felt and thinking the things that I thought. All my experiences with my dogs, positive and negative have enriched my life...these are things you sometimes don't realize until much, much later.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I think that most people that love and have animals are pretty happy because they have those animals in their lives. Sure, life would be easier if you didn't have the extra chores they make, but I guess you could look at it the same way with the humans in our lives! My dogs are constant in my life, a constant source of a special kind of love and devotion not found with our human companions and family. Just as with our families, there are different things we like or dislike, but we still like having them around.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Constant source of happiness always. Even with the new one, he's a handful and I might get frustrated, but I can always look at him and smile. I look at it as a challenge, yes he is a challenge, and yes I will beat the challenge. It motivates me to come up with different things. I know that when I'm done he will be fine. If Zeeva is a handful, she is the one that you should take to obedience classes. Make that your first thing to do on your to do list. You will learn how to work with her and you guys will bond. You might get frustrated in the beginning, but when you see what you end up with(with some work on both of your parts), you will be so much happier.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Well I would not say all the time I mean more so the dog makes life more better than worse but there are times where dogs can bring you down or upset you. I mean they are not perfect they are animals.

More happy then stress for sure. But there still once in a while wlll be stress or issues that pop up that you work on. But if you find yourself struggling more often and stressed more often with your dogs its good to take a closer look at your situation.

·
Super Moderator
32,343 Posts
Do you EVER struggle because of your dogs.
Yes, of course.

Or are your dogs a constant source of happiness?
YES. :laugh: I don't think these two positions are mutually exclusive! I adore my dogs, I delight in them, they bring me joy and make me laugh daily. I am endlessly proud of them, but sometimes they annoy the snot out of me! They bark at the squirrels in the backyard, and the black cat in the neighborhood who hangs out in front of our house, Halo eats poop if I'm not right there to pick it up. I struggled with leash reactivity with Keefer when he was younger, and while he walks very nicely on leash now it was a ton of work to get there. He sometimes still gets excited by other dogs, and he also has huge prey drive and a bully streak that can be activated by fearful or overly submissive dogs. Halo mostly ignores other dogs but she can be a snarky little bitch, she has trouble capping her drive - in other words, they're not perfect. They bark at the door, they'll jump on guests if we don't keep them leashed until they calm down, they chase the cats (although they won't hurt them). They're DOGS. And we love them dearly. :wub:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
the biggest struggle or worry is health id say, there are dogs though many dogs out there that If i took in I would be miserable, just some dogs do not match some people. Mine is a perfect match for me which is why I want another 1 day not to far away. I think I would first like to move around with mine though.

I find my big fat old special needs rescue cat (that I found like 7 years ago?) the most stressful by far lol 10x more so than my sweet gsd. If you try to clip her nails or do anything she will attack you (like a real attack). But then come back and force you to give her attention. She will also go after the dog sometimes out of the blue. Also is extremly needy like a child.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Not a constant source of happyness, but a lot of the time yes. There are times where the extra patience is really needed, but I also see those times as opportunities to improve.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Or are your dogs a constant source of happiness?
A- Yes
B- Yes
C- Yes
D- Yes
E- All of the above....

Any part of Yes you don't understand???

The only time there is Unhappiness is when you have to put one down or they pass away.... Especially my Kaos. But if I lived to be a 1000 I could never pay back the GSD's I have had since I was young (Kaos, Genesis, Baron I, II & III) for all the joy & happiness they brought me......I have a 5 month old puppy Havoc now. The only thing he can't do is take away the sting of losing his big brother Kaos. But my life will sure as **** be better off with him (and any other GSD I might get) in it then not....

·
Registered
120 Posts
My puppy brings me happiness every day.
However, its definitely not without stress. Its not that he stresses me out by his behavior (although his nipping does get frustrating), I stress because I want to make sure he is happy&healthy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I would say yes for the most part but if we're going to be honest at times they are a source of stress as well just like anything else. So for the most part I would say yes they are...

·
Registered
720 Posts
"A constant source of happiness"? Well, not when Ilka acted like a maniac in the obedience or rally ring. Or when Leo decided that I could live without my right knee this past Thursday. Or on days when I don't feel good, and just want to be left alone, but the dogs need to go out, and both they and the cats need to be fed. Or Lucky or Ilka has raided a litter box again. Shall I go on? The good does outweigh the bad, though.

However, it seems from what I've read in your posts that you are overwhelmed, and struggling on a daily basis. Maybe you should consider rehoming Zeeva, since she seems to be the main source of your problems. You could start looking into finding a good rescue organization to work with. It think it's unfair to both of you for you to keep struggling with a dog that it sounds like you are beginning to resent.

I rescued a little mixed breed dog once, but found after a few months that I just couldn't stand him. I felt guilty about not liking him, and that if I only tried harder, I could make it work. Eventually, though, I did rehome him. It was a huge weight off of my shoulders, one that I didn't even realized that I had been carrying, until it was gone.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I feel like a dog can be a constant source of happiness as well as a constant source of minor stress or worries. :)
Mine always makes me happy but some days she makes me frustrated or stressed out, which I know is my own fault, but I would not say she makes me unhappy during those periods at all.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
You are clearly stuck in a place of feeling miserable. Nothing in your life feels right to you so it is understandable that right now your dogs don't feel right to you either. And your dogs can feel, very acutely, the way that you are feeling.

Have you ever tried yoga and meditation? I really think looking inward, as opposed to outward, is what is going to help you find peace with yourself and with the world around you. You are looking for solutions outside yourself but really you've got everything you need inside yourself. I truly hope you will allow yourself to feel and fully realize that.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Sometimes after a long particularly exhausting day at work I dread the idea of coming home to my daily routine...cleaning the litter boxes, feeding the cats, letting the dogs out, feeding them, letting them rest then taking them outside again. But when I open the front door and they come bursting out showering me with kisses I get a second wind. And I cannot imagine it any other way.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think you need some training, socializing and exercise for
redirection. there's professional trainers for dogs and people.
stop laying around in the murky creek water and start running
through the field of happiness. socialize with the positives in
life. listen to your trainer because he or she is reputable and they
completely understand your temperament. when you open your eyes
in the morning that is the begining of happiness. appreciation is the
harness for happiness.

And it is almost daily that I struggle. The question is, is it because of them that I struggle or is it just how my life would be even without them...

Do you EVER struggle because of your dogs. Or are your dogs a constant source of happiness?

·
Registered
10,375 Posts
How about this one; if you don't enjoy the dogs or think that your unhappiness comes from having them, it is time to find a good counselor for yourself.
You do sound depressed in other posts as well so why don't you give yourself that gift?

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Zeeva I think right now you are in a place where nothing is easy. You have a lot going on and are struggling. Are my dogs a constant joy? No. Am I content w/ my decision to have three dogs yes 98% of the time ;2% not so much. That's being human. I think your struggling w/ a lot of decisions and questioning where your going w/ everything. There are no perfect solutions. Just hopefully contentment with the decisions we make. I think maybe you question yourself a lot which can lead to enlightment but also can make you miserable Its all about balance. Zeeva I think your a great dog owner. You always ask thought provoking questions and your threads make me think and smile. I wish for you to believe in yourself and what a great person you are. You are struggling not just w/ daily life questions but spiritual ones. That's a lot of pressure. You love your dogs they love you as animals can only love. Smoky and Zeeva are very lucky to have you. I find that unconditional love with no judgment is a pretty rare thing to receive and only animals can give it perfectly and continuously!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
YES to both questions!!!

YES ... I sometimes struggle because of the Hooligans!!! I struggle financially when one of them runs up a large vet bill which is difficult to pay off on my limited income. I struggle emotionally when one of them has an incurable health problem which gets progressively worse over time. And I struggle the most when I have to decide when one of them no longer has a quality life and I must make that most painful of all decisions to have them put down.

On the other hand the Hooligans are a constant source of happiness to me. As boring as it sounds I enjoy their company more than I do with any person. I miss them when I'm gone, even for a few hours when I have to run errands or have lunch with a friend. I don't know what I'd do without them.

Zeeva ... Dogs are masters at reading the emotions of their owners and IMHO your dogs sound like they may be reacting to the emotional turmoil you've been experiencing recently. Hopefully it will get better once you get away from Vegas and settled in California. I agree with a lot of the suggestions you're getting as far as how to better help yourself and your dogs ... I hope you can follow some of them.

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dogs are a passion of mine and a great source of happiness!! :)....There are peaks and valleys of course but the feeling when you are standing atop that cliff lasts so much longer than that of being at the bottom of the cliff. If I have a stressful day at work or school my dogs always brighten my day no matter what negative things they may have done, they always keep me smiling. Working with my dogs is also a big way for me to relax and let any stress on my shoulders roll off. Maybe you should get even closer to your dogs and go to classes and or training sessions together to further cement the bond you share together. They may become much more of a sense of happiness and escape for from the real world for you than they currently are. Just a thought :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts