German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into Pets Mart with my little Dober-Dude, Ace. We were there for awhile and I decided to give him a break from training in the store, so I walked over by the fish section to just look at them. Well, as I was looking and Ace just following me, and sniffing around...This guy walks up to us to pet Ace and such, and he said" Ace is so cute, how old is he (He saw his ID tag)?" I said" He is 19 weeks old." He said" Awesome!" So he is just petting him and then. The guy asks me something so dumb, that I about died...His question was "If I buy you a tank full of fish, just for you, can we trade? I'll take Ace and you take the fish?" I was in so much shock...I of course said" Absolutely not, no." He asked" Are you positive?" I said" Absolutely, I am never getting rid of him." He said" Oh okay, well thanks for letting me pet him." I said" No problem."

He left and I just kind of stood there, starring at Ace, trying process what had just happened. I can't believe he asked me that!! I was like was he freaking for real!?!?! I am sure I have heard it all now, but you never know...Because when you think you have heard it all, somebody else says something!! XD

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh some people. That is so crazy, like a tank full of fish could even repay you for the bond you've created with your dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
338 Posts
????????

In order to maintain my sanity, I am going to assure myself that you misunderstood the man. I will tell myself he was kidding.

Would post more but I have to feed my fish.:D

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
As sad as it sounds, that isn't all that surprising. With as many people on places like craigslist who do trades, it seems to be a common things now.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
What robk said.

I guess when you start staring at the half century mark stuff like that (harmless really, the guy was polite and left when told no)...well I just laugh, not worth getting upset about it.

:shrug:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
If that's how guys flirt these days then I'm really glad I'm married, lol.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Sure it is! Compliment someone (man or woman) on their dog that's a great ice breaker. The 'trade for fish tank' line might have been meant in an attempt at humor...either way I would have just laughed at the guy. No biggie

I've even seen little vests people put on their dogs that say something to the effect of 'My Owner is Single'. A sort of 4 legged dating billboard! LOL!

If that's how guys flirt these days then I'm really glad I'm married, lol.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Umm... he might have been serious. I was walking Ilka and Leo a few weeks ago, when some woman (a total stranger to me), hollered "Hey! You want to sell your German Shepherd?" I just said "No, thank you." and kept right on walking. That was the first time I'd been solicited about selling one of my dogs, but I've had people ask about future puppies, or if I'm interested in breeding to their "stud dog". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Hard to tell without having been there but I would have laughed at him with the whole 'fish tank' line. :D

I remember back in my single days a guy tried to impress me (knowing I had horses) by telling me he had at one time ridden Secretariat. LOL!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Who knows what his intentions were by saying that. I would have just taken my dog and gotten out of there fast. lol

Hard to tell without having been there but I would have laughed at him with the whole 'fish tank' line. :D

I remember back in my single days a guy tried to impress me (knowing I had horses) by telling me he had at one time ridden Secretariat. LOL!
:spittingcoffee: HAHAHAHAH! Thanks for a great laugh.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
He was flirting with you.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. If he really wanted to buy the pup, he'd offer money for the pup and not buy a tank full of fish.

Some guys just have really bad pick up lines.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe he was serious and he was NOT flirting. I was allowed to pick out my own fish and everything, and he had his girlfriend with him.

I wasn't upset at all, but I was dumb-founded for sure. I have been asked the difference between a regular bowl and fish bowl for a fish, but to buy me a tank full of fish and then he take my dog, no, just no. XD

·
Registered
190 Posts
Your first mistake is going to a PetsMart. Your dog can get sick there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
PetSmart can really bring out the nutjobs. I once had a guy seriously offer to trade Beckett for his dog on the spot (a poor black lab who just stood there like, "yeah, my owner is an a-hole").

Another time, someone asked if I wanted to breed my male to his bitch. In heat. In his truck. In the parking lot. Right then and there.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've even seen little vests people put on their dogs that say something to the effect of 'My Owner is Single'. A sort of 4 legged dating billboard! LOL!
SERIOUSLY??? They should add "and this is why!!"

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I get people saying to my dog "Ill take you home with me!!!" I tell them she 50 dollars. Nobodys been dumb enough to believe me though.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your first mistake is going to a PetsMart. Your dog can get sick there.
I take my dogs' there for socialization purposes, as well as training and proofing behaviors there too. My dogs' are vaccinated as well...

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Oh man! I'm so going to try that with my cute little Mali boy! Surely he's a chick magnet!

SERIOUSLY??? They should add "and this is why!!"
Oh come on... Where's your sense of humor? That's hilarious!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
hehehe you can get a Julius K9 power harness with velcro on it. Then buy various patches to put on it like the below AND you can swap it out with others for your agility stars that say..."Agility" or "Malinator". When I have a few extra scheckles to rub together I plan on getting one of these harnesses and having fun the different logo patches ... :D

Link to browse different logo patches: CanisCallidus Online Shop

Oh man! I'm so going to try that with my cute little Mali boy! Surely he's a chick magnet!

Oh come on... Where's your sense of humor? That's hilarious!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts