German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read online that GSD are prone to get them. Are puppies more prone? Obliviously females will be but just wondering if alot of people have delt with one!?

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. None of my dogs ever experienced one(knock on wood). They are raw fed and don't drink as much water as a kibble fed dog.
Though, *I* have had a couple in the past few years and take extra doses of vitamin C to get over it...drinking more water to flush out the system.
If you have a dog that is prone to them, I'd give C daily as it keeps up the acidity in the bladder so bacteria can't survive as easily.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Same with Jane, I've never seen one. My dogs eat mostly kibble but I "float" it (they get water) and I don't restrict water for puppies either, just get up at night if I have to.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona had something like that. She had a lot of salt in her bladder, because we were back east when it snowed. She was being every 10 minutes trying to flush the rock salt out. I gave her vitamin c, because I read here on the board to do so. I take her to the vet the next day and they take a urine sample. Why does she have all this salt and vitamin c in her urine? Not sure the vitamin c works in dogs. She also said to stop giving baby aspirin and children's Benadryl for allergies. Guess they need the doggie stuff and not baby stuff.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Your dog was eating rock salt?

I give my dogs natural vitamin C(esterC) daily...it isn't stored in the body, flushes out, and is a great supplement~antihistimine, supports the immune system.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
No, she walked on it when we were out and about. I wiped her paws after being in the snow, but didn't do a good job. So she licked all the rock salt off she got walking around for 4 days. My first time back east in the snow. I didn't know how much rock salt the city puts down. Every sidewalk was clear of snow. Now I know for next time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts