German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I posted another thread about a dog being purebred or not. Sadly, that dog I will not be able to get. My dad told me that we could pay $50 dollars for a dog, because we are tight with money now, (sister going to africa for school, other sister going to college, and my brother and I school) and the the other dog (white GSD) is 350. So, I found some pups but can not tell if they are purebred, the pictures are bad so bare with me. I will just give you the link:german shepherd

Thanks for any help! :)

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look pure, but I wouldnt pay a nickel for a dog advertised for $25-30 it cost more then that to get vetted.
I know, but it is all I can spend:( Trust me if I had the money I would get the white GSD in my other thread, I promised her that if she is still not adopted by the time I can get a dog that I would adopt her. Of course she didn't know I said that because I said it to her picture, but still... Thanks for your input:)

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Hi Noah,

they look purebred, but poorly bred - in that they are not good representatives of the German Shepherd dog. Their physical structure is poor, and this can already be seen from their puppy picture.

I would pass on these pups. Already, in some of the pics, you can tell that some pups are shy, and trying to look away and avoid the photographer, throwing out every stress signal in the book. Whenever you inquire about a pup, make sure that you ask a lot of questions about the temperament of the parents, and never, ever, ever settle for a shy pup - that is asking for a lot of trouble and heartbreak.

You will also have to consider if this is a good time for your family to get a dog. If your parents can only afford 50$, how will you be able to cover the costs of food, worming vaccinations, neuter, equipment, training classes, and the many un-planned emergencies that always seem to pop up when one has a dog?

What if your puppy eats a sock and gets a blockage, and now he needs emergency surgery at the cost of 2000$ to save his life? Will your parents agree to pay this money for the treatment? What will happen if they don't?

Pups often get sick because their immune system is still immature, and they get into EVERYTHING and may get sick and at worse, need surgery. I have a friend whose Labrador puppy had to have surgery because he was always eating rocks - very common puppy behaviour, could happen to any puppy!

So you need to discuss this further and see just how commited your parents are to getting a pup and contributing financially to his upkeep and well being.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I know, but it is all I can spend:( Trust me if I had the money I would get the white GSD in my other thread, I promised her that if she is still not adopted by the time I can get a dog that I would adopt her. Of course she didn't know I said that because I said it to her picture, but still... Thanks for your input:)
Not sure if they are PB or not, pics aren't great. But, I just wanted to add, as I'm sure you already know, that the purchase price of a dog is just the beginning of expenses. The first year, especially, is very expensive. You'll need to get all of his shots, dewormed, neutered, monthly heartworm prevention, flea prevention, etc. Along with a crate, food, and other supplies. Have you considered rescuing a dog? A shelter fee (usually around $50) would include all of the shots, neuter, microchip, and sometimes depending on the shelter they may throw in free or discounted training, a month of heartworm prevention, or other goodies.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hate to be the party pooper, but if you can only pay 50 dollars to get a dog DO NOT get a dog.
The first year alone is typically hundreds of dollars in vet bills just for basic shots. A good food can be 50 bucks a month. What if an emergency comes up?
The dog's collar and leash and toys are going to run more than 50 bucks.Also a 50 dollar dog is more likely to have health issues ($$$) because vet appointments are more than 50 dollars, testing parents can be hundreds of dollars, and why someone who has done all that would sell pups for 50 dollars?They wouldn't.

It sounds like (your family all busy, spread out, tight on money) that this is not the right time in your life for a dog

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm not saying this to be mean but if that is all you can afford you probably can't afford a puppy right now. I spent $900 in just the last three days in unexpected vet bills and well over $10,000 on vet bills over the life of one of my dogs. My GSD pup has insurance but even that costs more than those pups each month and that isn't full coverage.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I don't know what vet costs are in your area, but for general figures, count on 100$ for the initial vet check and vaccinations and worming, if not more.

Here where I live, a vet visit (just having the vet look at my dog) is 56$. Then there are the extras on top of that, like the costs of the vaccines, the worming meds, or any other procedures that need to be done. If your pup eats something and gets sick due to a possible blockage - eating something big that gets stuck in the intestines and can't pass through - the x-rays to see where the blockage is can be around 100 to 200 dollars, and the surgery would be around 1000$.

So you see, the initial cost of a dog is nothing. The real cost in on-going care and the possible emergency situation. If your family does not have the money to cover these costs, what will you do? Sit there and watch your puppy die?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Once you figure in food, vet care (routine, not emergency care) and supplies you will be looking at a minimum of $100 for a german shepherd. You also need to factor in training classes and that is at least another couple $100 per year.

Since the breed is full of health problems you really need to have about $500 in reserve, per year, to own a german shepherd.

I would save up your money and wait until you can afford a dog on your own.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Even a well bred dog is going to cost a lot to keep.
I have already spent thousands on veterinary care, and Hans isn't even two yet.

You have a small breed 8 month old puppy at home, too.

I would not get a GSD at this time.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys. I have been saving up for this for years... I have calculated just about everything. I have a few thousand maybe more in my savings, but it is for everything but the adoption fee. My parents can only spend 50 dollars. I have money for EVERYTHING else but no extra for the fee, so I asked my parents, and my dad said they can only contribute 50 dollars. And the TEN month old puppy I have is more my mom's and brother's than mine. I have plenty of money for vet bills, already have the "supplies" such as food/water bowls. toys, collar etc. It is just the adoption fee. I am perfectly ready you guys, and that isn't even what I asked. I asked if they were purebred, not if I was ready or had enough money. So, thanks but all I needed to know was are they purebred or not.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have well over 6 thousand, that is from birthdays, allowance, odd jobs, and selling things over the last 3 years. I know I am ready for a dog. All the money is for vet bills and food, I have everything else I will need. Am I still not ready?

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
GSDLover2000,

I know this is really hard, but make it an incentive. Your dad is not on board with you having a GSD. Any GSD you can get for 50$ is probably going to be a poor representative of the breed. And this can taint your love for the breed and your family's. Until you move out on your own, and pay for your own place where you can have a dog, and can make your own rules, I think you should forego getting a GSD.

Instead make yourself a GSD-Fund. When you work and make any money, put half of whatever is leftover when you pay for necessities in your GSD-Fund. Then when you are finished with school, and you move out on your own, and after a few months of figuring out all the expenses, etc, and what time you have for a dog, then make yourself out a budget, to figure in all the likely costs of owning a pup.

Determine how much money per month you are able to put into your GSD Fund, and see if there is enough to cover the costs of owning a pup. And if there is, then see where you are, how much you have saved.

At that point, you can determine where you want to get a puppy, whether you want to go with a breeder or a rescue. And how long it will take to save enough for six months over the cost of the puppy. This will be your emergency fund or cushion. Pet-insurance might be a good idea as well.

I know it is hard to wait until you are on your own. And that will be no picnic starting out either. But at that point, you will not have Dad making the decision on whether your dog is worth an ER visit, or an operation, or a change in dog food. Your dad does not want you to have a GSD, and it is just a recipe for disaster.

I had to wait until I moved out to get my first GSD. Not everyone has to, but for people whose parents are totally not on board, it is probably best for everyone involved, including the puppy.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
To answer your question: I would not get one of those dogs.

Have you gone to a club?

Handled some dogs, talked to some owners?
I would do that before jumping in and getting one of my own, especially when you will soon be away at school and will not have time for a puppy.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I have well over 6 thousand, that is from birthdays, allowance, odd jobs, and selling things over the last 3 years. I know I am ready for a dog. All the money is for vet bills and food, I have everything else I will need. Am I still not ready?
If you have that much money then please spend it on a dog from a reputable breeder. Why in the world would you be looking at BYB dogs for $50 or $350? Spend the money now to stack the odds of a healthy dog in your favor.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GSDLover2000,

I know this is really hard, but make it an incentive. Your dad is not on board with you having a GSD. Any GSD you can get for 50$ is probably going to be a poor representative of the breed. And this can taint your love for the breed and your family's. Until you move out on your own, and pay for your own place where you can have a dog, and can make your own rules, I think you should forego getting a GSD.

Instead make yourself a GSD-Fund. When you work and make any money, put half of whatever is leftover when you pay for necessities in your GSD-Fund. Then when you are finished with school, and you move out on your own, and after a few months of figuring out all the expenses, etc, and what time you have for a dog, then make yourself out a budget, to figure in all the likely costs of owning a pup.

Determine how much money per month you are able to put into your GSD Fund, and see if there is enough to cover the costs of owning a pup. And if there is, then see where you are, how much you have saved.

At that point, you can determine where you want to get a puppy, whether you want to go with a breeder or a rescue. And how long it will take to save enough for six months over the cost of the puppy. This will be your emergency fund or cushion. Pet-insurance might be a good idea as well.

I know it is hard to wait until you are on your own. And that will be no picnic starting out either. But at that point, you will not have Dad making the decision on whether your dog is worth an ER visit, or an operation, or a change in dog food. Your dad does not want you to have a GSD, and it is just a recipe for disaster.

I had to wait until I moved out to get my first GSD. Not everyone has to, but for people whose parents are totally not on board, it is probably best for everyone involved, including the puppy.
I thought it was obvious that my parents are now okay with it? Considering they gave me a budget... My family is on board with the following: australian shepherd, german shepherd, and golden retriever. I have the money, the supplies, the love and desire, and the "on board-ness of my family, I know I am ready. I really didn't need any of you telling me I am not. I didn't ask.

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
Just read your last two posts.

Ok, so money is not the issue. I think that the advice is well-meaning. Take the $50 as a note that Dad and Mom are not on board with this, and plan to use your own money to buy your dog.

I still think that it will be better for you to be out from under their thumbs, then they will not have any part in the care of your dog. The dog will not live under their roof, and they will not have any say over its training, vetting, feeding, etc.

Pups could be pure-bred. I wouldn't buy one though.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have that much money then please spend it on a dog from a reputable breeder. Why in the world would you be looking at BYB dogs for $50 or $350? Spend the money now to stack the odds of a healthy dog in your favor.
The money is for the important things for the dog. As long as the dog will be healthy, I don't need it to be AKC registered, or from a special breeder with a 5 year health guarantee. I saved that money for one reason, and I intend to use it for that reason.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, then, go get one of those dogs.
That is what you wanted to hear.
Good luck.
Uhm it isn't. I wanted your guys opinion on if they are purebred, and instead you guys argued that I wasn't ready and was unfit to get a dog. So, I told you that I didn't ask for that. Which I didn't.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts