German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ellie is approaching the 12 week mark and she still has some tendancies that she had at 8 weeks. She whines alot, not in her crate type whining that we have conquered, but whenever you touch her wrong she whines, when shes trying to get comfortable she whines, when she wants your attention she whines, I know it's normal to an extent but I also don't want it to be because she is in pain somehwere, although I have touched her just about everywhere and watched her reactions and nothing looks out of the ordinary at those times. Next is she is very clumsy and topples over alot and then will limp, usually she stops as soon as I massage her legs and/or shoulders and hips depending on what seems to bother her and then she is right back up to running around again. I know she is growing and her feet are huge compared to her body so I expected some of this but again I don't know if it's totally normal. And last she sleeps a heck of alot for a puppy, she sleeps mostly all day at work unless another dog comes in, she plays a little at home and her and my other shepherd play hard, they growl and bite and run and bark and do it all then she goes to sleep for the night and is so tired she has been sleeping the whole night through in her crate without a peep unless she has to potty. The breeder said it was normal for pups to sleep 15 to 17 hours a day but everything I am reading says they are very active and she is very calm. There is no evidence of worms, she eats plenty and if enticed will be active. Is this all normal and just new to me or do I have reason for concern?

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
She should have seen her Vet what does he or she say. That is not normal puppy behavior..

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I second taking her to the vet.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I third taking her to a vet

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She has been to the vet twice, she went to the breeders vet for her initial check up and was given a clean bill of health then she went to my vet and again was given the all clear which is why i am asking here now

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
She has been to the vet twice, she went to the breeders vet for her initial check up and was given a clean bill of health then she went to my vet and again was given the all clear which is why i am asking here now
If the vet hasn't seen her and been told about these issues....then I would take her to the vet and list your concerns. Sometimes they do a "good enough" evaluation....but if you have a problem area they can do more in depth checking.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I wish my almost 12 week old puppy would sleep that much!

I'm not an expert but I do agree with another vet visit to address your concerns.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other dog is my shep mix who is 50lbs but she seems to be gentle with her as in she will let Ellie tackle her and she mouths her gently only really showing dominance if Ellie gets too rough with her biting. Ellies worst enemy is her own feet, she trips all the time when she tries to run and just tumbles. I did call my vet to discuss my concerns and she said that when she takes her own dogs to the office they sleep the whole time and a very well mannered and it sounds the same with Ellie. I have also been bringing her with me since the day I got her and since day 1 she just relaxed and slept until another dog came in and wanted to play. When we are at home she is way more active and gets alot of energy out which is why I think she sleeps all night, plus my older Shep sleeps next to her crate so I think she sort of started following her sleeping patterns. On my days off they just want to play all day and I have to seperate them for rest and a nap. I guess my concern was that customers would tell me she was too calm for a puppy. Now for the whining and occassional limping it seems, she has no evidende of an injury and my vet said that as long as the limping stops right away it may just be more shock that pain, where she falls and its a new feeling and since she is a puppy her reaction is to just whine so it did make sense to me and I just have to keep an eye on it as she gets older. I guess I posted because I didn't want to feel so alone with her actions, but it seems as though my girl here is unique. Then again I have a pretty calm household and all of my dogs are relaxed my shep mix was calm as a pup too and she was a rescue and she would just relax if I relaxed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts