German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
They look pure. I doubt for $350 they come from a decent breeder so my answer would be No, I would not pay it. That second one looks sickly.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
They don't look purebred to me, something about them... Cute, but paying $350 for a puppy worries me as reputable breeders often charge around the $1000 range.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They look pure. I doubt for $350 they come from a decent breeder so my answer would be No, I would not pay it. That second one looks sickly.
I completely agree! The second does look ill. I would not do it. I paid $1800 for mine (not saying that you have to pay THAT much or more for a good pup) and am not sorry. Find a breeder who cares about the integrity of the breed, that shows or titles their own dogs and has hip,elbow and temperament testing done. Based solely on the pics you have here and the asking price, don't do it. Think about it....a reputable breeder who puts time, energy and resources into furthering the GSD breed in a responsible way will have WAY more than that invested in the pups. I realize that many breeders do not make a true monetary profit, but they would sell,their pups for way more than $350. Another point is that they would want to ask high enough of a price that the owner obviously has the means to care for them properly, feed them responsibly and get them proper veterinary care. Just my opinion....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
If you have to ask if they are pure then I wouldn't buy one.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
yes the pup looks pure. if you like the pup and its in your price range then get it. just do your research and make sure to meet the parents. charging 1000 does NOT make someone a reputable breeder. i had to laugh out loud at that statement. if you dont get your dog from a good breeder than it really is a crap shoot on how your pup will turn out. it doesnt automatically make your dog a bad nervy aggressive dog with bad hips. i'd absolutely get a dog from a really good breeder if possible but not everyone wants to spend 1000+ on a dog. this forum is really the wrong place to ask this question. most people on here will judge just based on the price of the pup as you can see from the examples above.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
If you have to ask if they are pure then I wouldn't buy one.
Yep.

If I'm buying a dog (vs. adopting one from a shelter or rescue), then I want to see the pedigree and a whole lot more besides. Without that, I might as well roll the dice on a shelter dog. The pup will be just as much of a genetic question mark, but at least I'll be saving a life and not supporting a breeder whose values I don't much care for.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I got two that I didn't pay more then $200.00 each for. I'm still learning about the male(rescue from shelter), but he's a good sound dog. He has one issue we are working on with the leash reactivity, but that is even getting better every day. My female has the best temperament in the world and if I could find 10 more of her I would grab them in a minute. She came from someone on craigslist that couldn't handle her at 12 weeks, what an idiot he was. It all depends on what you want to do. You will get a million different answers. I personally would opt to get the one that looks sickly to some, because I would feel bad and want to give it a good home. God willing they don't have any health issues. No one can predict which dog will or won't, even the ones that come from reputable breeders. It might stack the deck, but its not 100%. No one wants to deal with health issues, but it isn't the dogs fault. So whether they are from a breeder or from the shelter, they still need us.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You get what you pay for. There is NO good breeder I know of that sells well bred dogs for that low of a price. I do know people that sell to friends and family for a deal but that's a whole different story.

Poor breeding practices should never be supported. Save up the money for a well bred dog or adopt through a shelter or rescue.

Brings up a good point though, if 350 $ is all you can afford to spend how are you going to afford treatment for the genetic problems that are almost guaranteed to be found in a poorly bred Shepherd? Zeke is poorly bred and I consider myself lucky with what health problems he's had. Hes only had pano (800 $ to diagnose and treat at 9 months), submucosal pyoderma that was 900 $ to sedate and biopsy with histopathology at 3 years old, lifelong on and off antibiotics to treat it at around 30 $ a refill. And now at 6 he's been diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia. Thats pretty good compared to most BYB GSDs I see

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Its not about having a high dollar dog to brag about, its about supporting ethical breeding! If all people do is throw 2 gsds together because they're purebred, then turn around and sell them, theyre not concerned about health testing or temparament. Heck, half the time they like that giant fear aggressive dog because "its a big bad tough german shepherd, look how protective it is".

These people almost ALWAYS produce unhealthy pups because the breed is so prone to genetic health issues. They also are very prone to nerve issues when poorly bred. If you think that is not true you're poorly mistaken. Work a day in a vet clinic shelter or rescue that handles a lot of german shepherds. Sadly enough there are very few I work with that I would even consider taking home. Most of them should probably be euthanized because they have such bad arthritis and HD and skin allergies and shotty nerves. And thats REALLY sad that I see very few healthy german shepherds.

Someone producing sick unhealthy dogs should NEVER be given money to support their greedy practice! That dog has a life of suffering and the owner has a life of financial loss. The only thing those "breeders" deserve is a good stoning.

Im all for adopting one of these dogs from a shelter or rescue. It's not their fault and they deserve the best care possible. But no one should make money off their creation

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
White on chest/paws is common. If I wasn't sure, I'd pass. Can be really hard to tell at this age (and not because of white paws). I wouldn't pay anything for a gamble if what I wanted was a purebred.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
White on chest/paws is common. If I wasn't sure, I'd pass. Can be really hard to tell at this age (and not because of white paws). I wouldn't pay anything for a gamble if what I wanted was a purebred.
can you educate me on the white "spots" and why it is not a red flag? tks

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
White spotting is fairly common. Why would it be a red flag?
put white spotting gene into the search box, there are a few threads on the subject.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
charging 1000 does NOT make someone a reputable breeder.
No it doesn't, but I don't think there's a reputable GSD breeder out there, who's buying/selling healthy dogs, doing health and temperament checks, putting titles on dogs, and deworming/vaccinating their puppies appropriately, who's selling them for under $1000. They know the value in what they are producing and the costs associated with raising a healthy puppy.

Selling pups for $350, I can almost guarantee it's not a well bred, registered animal, who's had a health check at the vet, and who's parents have had all the health checks done.

They look PB, but the white toes is throwing me. I've never seen that on a GSD, I'm not an expert, but it makes me think there's something else in there.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Reputable and Responsible are two very different things.

There are 'reputable' breeders selling puppies for over 2 grand, but I can't really say they are 'responsible'. They do have a reputation and it isn't always stellar.

·
Registered
359 Posts
When my dog was born (the one in my avatar and albums), she had a bit of white on her chin, a little dusting on the toes on one foot and a minute spot on her chest. Now at 4 years old, the white on the chest and toes has completely disappeared, and the white chin has become a distinguished-looking gray. A friend of mine has an American-line black dog with white toes and a considerable white patch on her chest.

The white spotting does happen, and while these puppies may indeed not be purebred (which they do look purebred, though not particularly great), the white spotting would not necessarily be what I would look to in determining purity. You may not be able to tell until they were a bit older.

I would likely not pay $350 for one of these guys.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
That's true Disco, my pup had a bit of white on her chest that disappeared, I've just personally never seen it on the toes, but I hadn't heard of the white spotting on toes before either.

Anyway, I don't think you will find a good breeder selling pups for $350. If they are doing things right, I don't think you can raise a good puppy the right way for $350.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts