German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since white GSDs are breed for color is it possible for a breeder of a white GSD to be responsible in terms of temperament and nerve and drive and all the other good qualities that the breed should have?

Can you share some websites or breeders with me? I'm not looking to purchase (yikes!). This question is just on a want to know basis because people ask me about Zeeva and I would want to refer then properly.

·
Registered
766 Posts
my uncle has 2 white sheps (brother and sister) both amazing dogs and trained very well. a buddy of his who is a police officer in the vineland area of new jersey (where they are from) backyard breeds and is very responsible and focuses on white gsds. i dont know how he does it but he produces a good number of white ones and from my experience with them seem to be pretty quality dogs

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
You may want to reach out to Whiteshepherds on the board:)
Was gonna say the same thing. (S)he seems to be a wealth of knowledge on this subject! :thumbup:

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
You'll kind of have to adjust your idea of "responsible" as it is usually spewed on this forum. The majority of the people on here will tell you that the sire and dam should be Schutzhund trained and titled and then get their rating. Well...if you consider how small of a percentage white shepherds are, then multiply that by how small of a percentage of GSD owners that do Schutzhund are, the chances of you finding that kind of a pair gets to be very very small.

I'm guessing most are bred by "American standards," and it would be nice to see the dogs getting worked in some venue. AKC, UKC, and possibly UKC conformation would be a good things to see a breeder doing.

You also have to consider how much smaller the gene pool and the "breed" is. The responsible ones won't be breeding to colored ones, which will lead them to close their lines up unless you do find one that shows and tries to bring in dogs from a distance to stud/breed to. I think the point of view when looking for one is much different than that of looking for a regular GSD...its more like looking for a less popular or almost exotic breed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts