German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old shepherd I adopted several months ago, just wanted to ask if anyone has any tips on diets that can help prevent hip problems as they get older? As I am hoping if I get her on a good diet now then as she gets older she may not have an many problems with her hips and arthritis, she is on good quality vet food now, but would love to hear if anyone has any tips I could add to her feed?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
As Hip dysplasia is both genetic and environmental he may be predisposed to HD due to his genes. I don't think there is any food that can prevent it, only by choosing puppies whose sire and dam have low hip and elbow scores and growing your puppy slowly and limiting excessive exercise may reduce his/her chance.

My advice is to choose a good quality dry kibble, preferably fish based and give him some sort of joint and cartilage supplement. My female GSD has HD and I am managing her with Canidae grain free pure sea, raw meats and supplement her with human glucosamine and chondrotin capsules. She is doing fine, she clearly has not difficulty in moving, changing position and does not seem to be in pain. I have also tried canine products.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There are some treats and supplements with glucosamine and chondroitin for dogs, your vet may have suggestions of brand. Our guy likes the heart shaped chicken flavored treats from the PETCO treat bar so far.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I have a 3 year old shepherd I adopted several months ago, just wanted to ask if anyone has any tips on diets that can help prevent hip problems as they get older? As I am hoping if I get her on a good diet now then as she gets older she may not have an many problems with her hips and arthritis, she is on good quality vet food now, but would love to hear if anyone has any tips I could add to her feed?

Which "Vet" food?
Moms:)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
One thing I would add is to not let your dog get overweight. That puts a strain on the joints as well and a dog at a good, or slightly lean weight can manage much better even if there is some dysplasia .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts