German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jaeger is pretty sick at the moment, I'm worried he has a blockage (there is another thread). If he does and they need to do surgery, I want to wipe out a few things I've been wanting to have done but have delayed due to his temperament.

Jaeger is four.

Jaeger has genetic fear aggression.

I experienced bloat with my last GSD and caught it hours after it happened, she died in a lot of pain and I never want to go through that or have a dog go through that again. I'd like ot have his stomach tacked if they have to go in an remove something.. I planned on doing it already, but if they have to open him up ANYWAY, I'd like to kill two birds with one stone so he doesn't have to go under more than needed, or go through more pain than necessary.. Any input? Would it be bad to do this along with surgery of that kind? Are there ANY cons to tacking a stomach on a full-grown dog?

I've heard very conflicting opinions of genetic fear aggression, and neutering a male. Well, I'd like to hear of personal experiences.. He's not FA because of life experiences or upbringing, he is because of his mother and that line of dogs having genetic fear. Neutering isn't something I can take back if it goes south, it's a decision I don't want to make if it could potentially make him worse, right now he is manageable. And for the sake of argument, would that be too much to do to him at once?

He may not even need surgery (lets hope! :( ) but I am preparing for the worst.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Jaeger is pretty sick at the moment, I'm worried he has a blockage (there is another thread). If he does and they need to do surgery, I want to wipe out a few things I've been wanting to have done but have delayed due to his temperament.

Jaeger is four.

Jaeger has genetic fear aggression.

I experienced bloat with my last GSD and caught it hours after it happened, she died in a lot of pain and I never want to go through that or have a dog go through that again. I'd like ot have his stomach tacked if they have to go in an remove something.. I planned on doing it already, but if they have to open him up ANYWAY, I'd like to kill two birds with one stone so he doesn't have to go under more than needed, or go through more pain than necessary.. Any input? Would it be bad to do this along with surgery of that kind? Are there ANY cons to tacking a stomach on a full-grown dog?

I've heard very conflicting opinions of genetic fear aggression, and neutering a male. Well, I'd like to hear of personal experiences.. He's not FA because of life experiences or upbringing, he is because of his mother and that line of dogs having genetic fear. Neutering isn't something I can take back if it goes south, it's a decision I don't want to make if it could potentially make him worse, right now he is manageable. And for the sake of argument, would that be too much to do to him at once?

He may not even need surgery (lets hope! :( ) but I am preparing for the worst.
Why did they breed the dogs if they knew the lines produced reactive defensive behaviours? What exactly does he do?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could find threads about his behavior most likely on here- more or less fearful and aggressive reaction to most new living things. He was out of control with it as a puppy and over the years we've worked very hard to overcome his issues and he's about as good today as anyone could hope.

His breeder was a POS. An absolute POS.I have a thread updated in May about them, since they dropped off of the face of the earth.

He is what he is, it was confirmed without a doubt this year when some people who owned a half sibling of his contacted me and relieved us both with the knowledge that her dog has genetic fear as well and the breeder admitted to her the mother was as well, though she lied and told me she wasn't and nobody else ever had an issue.

I know what his problem is, I just don't know how neutering will possibly affect it, I've discussed that a while ago with other GSD folk, but I'd like to find some people with real experience about this and my other questions.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
You could find threads about his behavior most likely on here- more or less fearful and aggressive reaction to most new living things. He was out of control with it as a puppy and over the years we've worked very hard to overcome his issues and he's about as good today as anyone could hope.

His breeder was a POS. An absolute POS.I have a thread updated in May about them, since they dropped off of the face of the earth.

He is what he is, it was confirmed without a doubt this year when some people who owned a half sibling of his contacted me and relieved us both with the knowledge that her dog has genetic fear as well and the breeder admitted to her the mother was as well, though she lied and told me she wasn't and nobody else ever had an issue.

I know what his problem is, I just don't know how neutering will possibly affect it, I've discussed that a while ago with other GSD folk, but I'd like to find some people with real experience about this and my other questions.
If it were dominant-based social aggression neutering would help most likely... fear based... not so sure. Could even make it worse? Testosterone does, after all, instill confidence in males (often over-confidence lol).

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I've heard. It's definitely fear that triggers his reactions. I have no problem keeping him intact, but I wish there were definitive answers for these things. Fortunately, though, dogs like him are not very common, or common enough to do any conclusive studies with. And I don't want to do something we could live to regret.

The tacking is something I'd definitely like done, he's a very deep-chested beastie and I never thought I'd experience bloat. Having gone through that horror with my old girl, I'm always afraid it'll happen to him. The problem is I really don't know much more about tacking than I can find on google and I'm hoped to hear it from someone right now, most things I can find are from a few years ago at least.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not an expert AT ALL, but have you thought about a vasectomy? It is an option that my vet gives so that they can maintain their testosterone while keeping them from impregnating a female. Just a thought.

I can't help on the rest, but I hope you get some good answers. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I did think of that.. but I have no worries over him getting with a female, I was mostly thinking of how the testosterone drop would affect his fear issues. Whether it would be positive of negative.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Zelda got a gastropexy, it went well, with a decent revocery period.
My Vet's strongly recommended it to me, and when i had her spayed i also had the gastropexy done.
You should ask your Vet what he advices, the good and the bad of getting a gastropexy.
All i know, is im glad i did it! I can put my mind at ease a tiny bit with all the other worries i have to worry about with Zelda's health issues! :)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Depending on how sick he is if he DOES need surgery they just might want to get in and out as fast as possible.

My fear aggressive dog was neutered at 4 months old. I euthanized him at 3.5 yrs due to agression. Cant tell you how the neutering did or did not affect that.

Im having berlin pexied. I saw 2 gdvs the other night.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you mind if I ask what made you make the decision for him? You can PM me if you'd like. I don't get to speak with people who have handled (genetic..?) actual fear aggressive dogs. I assume since you had him from a puppy it wasn't caused by upbringing.

I know that will factor in. I'm more worried about the current issues, but if they thought it was fine to do I'd want to go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have no experience with stomach tacking. Although I'm curious about this now as bloat is something that's very scary to me as well.

My boy Dakota was neutered too early, at 8 weeks. He was also genetically predispositioned to have fear aggression. From day one he had a hard time with social interactions and became reactive and aggressive at times around 7 months. It didn't help that I was clueless and tried to "Fix" his issues with unsavory methods and just made it worse.

However, he is currently 4 years old and his fear issues have disappeared since I switched up my approach on the issue. Just a over year ago, I'd tell you that would be insane to suggest he could ever be a service dog. Yet I took him to my high school graduation and he fell asleep on the stage and has happy tolerated the odd petting and body language of special needs individuals as well as heeling through rooms filled to the brim with people.

So, I cannot say if neutering helped or didn't. You can build confidence in a dog without balls.

I would be curious about testosterone increasing aggression, or at least intensifying aggression during a reaction. I'd do some Googling
Testosterone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have experience with genetic shyness, more avoidance behaviors than anything. The entire litter had it to some degree. I have had litters that were outgoing and sound from the get go, and then my last litter we had varying degrees of avoidance with strangers. We heavily socialize from a very young age, and it wasn't to be avoided.
That genetic combination was not good, at all.
They are all Wonderful pets, but I've never before seen an entire litter affected to some degree. Mom has anxiety in the show ring setting (mostly indoor Loud arenas), but does fine elsewhere, other than that is an amazing dog.

Anyway, not quite the same as what you describe in your dog, just sharing my experiences with genetic temperament issues.
Not sure if neutering would help, but I neuter all with temperament issues anyway, so it's not hormone driven. Just personal preference.

If your dog needs surgery I would have them tack him while they are in there.
They may or may not be able to neuter him (or be willing to) at the same time.
You don't necessarily want to open another area of the body if you are having to cut for a blockage, depending on how sick he is. That may have to wait until he recovers.

I am having all my dogs tacked, just lost my boy Mickey to bloat on Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you both for the input.

I'm so sorry about your loss. It's so traumatizing to see them hurting and know the kindest thing to do is let them go. It's been a few years since I lost my girl, but it was so vivid and terrible I remember it like it was yesterday.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I don't think neutering will make his fear any worse, and it might even help his behavior improve.

I know that testosterone is supposed to be a "confidence" drug, but it does not seem to affect whether a dog will be afraid of something or not. I think the difference is in how the dog reacts to that fear. Intact males will have more of a tendency to react with aggression, as opposed to avoidance--the "fight or flight" response is tipped over to "fight" when testosterone is plentiful.

I have seen many dogs pre and post neutering, and if anything, it seems that neutering helped them calm down and become less nervous overall. It just takes the edge off. They get a little less pushy, a little less anxious, a little less likely to react with aggression. I think that, in your case, neutering would help your boy if it did anything at all. But it depends on how old he is, too. If he's older, his behavioral traits may have become habituated.

Still, I'd neuter him if he were my dog. Past the physical growth stage, I don't think there's any reason for a reactive, fear-aggressive dog to be intact--if anything, I'd hazard a guess that the testosterone is making him more of a danger. Statistically, intact dogs are more likely to bite.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had my 2 year old aggressive male neutered about 2 months ago. I think it has taken a bit of the edge off, maybe. I know it's only been 2 months and these things take a while...I agree with what Freestep is saying, it may just take that aggressive edge off. In my situation it was worth a try. It certainly hasn't taken the edge off to where he doesn't want to fight/dominate other dogs or eat people who try to examine him though. Personally I would rather try instead of always wondering if it would help.

(My dog isn't fearful, but again I think regardless of where the aggression is coming from neutering could help a bit...maybe lol)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
When Djenga needed surgery for her blockage, I told the vet to go ahead and spay her if they felt it wasn't too much for her.
They didn't spay her - it took them some time to find the blockage and they didn't want to leave her under any longer than necessary.

So...it might be too much to do 3 things at once...definitely something I would talk to your vet about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts