German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are German Shepherd puppies protective too? or is it just adult dogs? I want my dog to protect me and be a nice guard dog. Can you train a gsd to protect you or is it just something that happens on its own? And when in there lives do they start to show protectiness towards there owner? (Me) :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
some GSD's are protective some aren't. what is it you need your
dog to protect you from? if i wanted PP dog i would find a trainer
and train with the dog. i always say "what ever it is i need protection
from my dog needs protection from it also".

·
Registered
100 Posts
It depends on the dog. My girl already has a protective side. I see her as a fight vs flight flight but not over eager or aggressive. We're actually excited to see her grow and are thinking of getting her into some type of working training vs our family dog because she really seems to be something special not to be wasted. She has a wonderful reaction to kids, but adults she can be selective. We've watched her not pull, but put tension on her leash if someone walks by she's not sure of (we leash her for potties out front,) and will sometimes give a slight bark and stare. Almost like "I'm watching, I'm ready, not sure if I trust you so please don't push it." Our old gal was not properly socialized and was over protective, especially of our oldest as a baby. She would've out if anyone got between her and "her" baby. My grandmother's we got for her was a giant, black blanket and gold eyes. He smiled at you, wagged his tail, but still froze the air and made your hairs on your back stand. He was very friendly but you knew he would not hesitate to protect his people and home from any danger. both had these personalities as puppies.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I cant speak for all pups but my 4 1/2 month old GSD hides behind me if there is anything he deems as a threat. (ex: the neighborhood wild cats that spit and raise their hackles when he comes by) If I act normal he will come back out and get curious. if were at the dog beach and the larger dogs start to play too rough he runs to me and stays by my side. hes had a few big dogs growl at him and he immediatley turns the other way and comes and sits next to me. We havent had any human interactions were hes afraid of people or needs to feel protective so we havent observed that yet. I have college aged kids so we always have a house packed full of people. I definately dont count on him to protect me, at least right now. Hes still a big baby and may always be the way he is now which is okay with me as I wanted him as a pet not a guard dog. But for people that want a guard dog there are many trainers available to train your dog as a guard dog. Even at 4 1/2 months they look pretty scary when they growl LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts