German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we are out walking our dog people sometimes really move away and cross the road when they see our gsd coming, and sometimes when I would be waiting outside shops on my girlfriend people would jump when they see her and run past or else say to whoever there with "watch that dog doesn't bite you". OR " watch that dog" ........:mad::mad::mad:

Now my dog walks very good by my side , and when she is waiting she sits and doesn't move. Plus she has good manners and is groomed and brushed all the time!!!

I hate when people stereotype dogs because of what breed they are. It's like pitbulls , they are a very loving dog they just don't get a chance!

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Some do act that way for sure, but I also get a lot of "What a beautiful dog" and then they tell me about the shepherd that they used to own!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Not really. Mostly they say "That's a beautiful dog, can I pet him?" When there were two of them people would cross the street to avoid us, but I think it was more because they were worried about the crazy 130lb lady walking 160 pounds of dog!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some do act that way for sure, but I also get a lot of "What a beautiful dog" and then they tell me about the shepherd that they used to own!

I get that maybe 4 times each day when I walk her , but some people are just so annoying the way they act when they see her

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have seen people cross the street, and I have been the person crossing the street.

When I am the one doing the crossing it is becasue of

A. I don't know if the dog is well trained and will get riled up if I am close to it.

or

B. I have my son in the stroller, and I don't know if the dog is friendly, and I don't know if the owner is going to try to contain it if it sticks it's face in my son's face.

or

C. If someone is walking their dog coming towards me, I cross becasue Jackson doesn't really care for other dogs invading his space. He gets very upset and I would rather avoid a hassle, that's for sure!

For instance on point B, at our old place, there was this idiot walking his black lab on a flexi lead, and all of a sudden, his dog was sticking it's head in my car, in our driveway, which was at least 15 feet from the sidewalk where the owner was!!!!!

I don't know if people cross for the same reasons, or if they are scared!

·
Registered
31,954 Posts
It seems nobody is happy with how people treat our breed.

People have barked at my dog.

People have stared at amy dogs.

One little kid snuck up from behind in the check out and full body hugged my parents' GSD.

Some come up and thrust their hand toward the top of the head, and then comments about the dog being shy.

Others will let their dog run right up and sniff your dog in the face.

Others pick up their little dogs.

One little kid jumped up and ran screaming away from my puppy while we were walking in the pet store.

And one humongous man yelled from across the parking lot, asking if the dog bites, and telling me to keep it away from him -- Rush was four months old.

The point is, half of us are perturbed when people are too freindly toward our dogs, and the other half are perturbed when people avoid our dogs.

People who move out of our way and avoid our dogs should cause us no consternation. THEY have a problem. If we react to it, we make their problem our problem, which is totally not necessary. Do not give them the time of day.

The people who think they are God's give to dogs, who ignore warnings and requests, and open kennel doors, shove hands in open windows, pet dogs without permission, and let their dogs run right up to ours -- these are the people we need to get all hot and bothered about.

If someone makes no comment, but walks across the street to get away from your dog Killer, enjoy it. People who dislike or are that afraid of dogs would not make for a good socialization experience anyway.

Lastly, while you may be an awesome owner and your dog very well behaved, there are many people who let their dogs jump up on people, and who have very little control over the dogs. Thank them for these people's response.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have had no issues. I am told he is pretty, cute, cool. He's only 5 months old, though. But I will be completely honest - I am a 24 year old petite woman. Turn on Nancy Grace to see how we fare in this world as of late. I have never walked any of my other dogs alone, they are all small toy breeds, and a corgi. The last time I walked my corgi alone, a very out of place pick up truck for this subdivision with nasty looking men in it drove past me very slowly and leered. 3 minutes later - they came back and passed me again, slower. I was so afraid I started going up a driveway in case something happened.

I have no fear whatsoever walking Remi without a friend or cousin. People compliment him, but they also keep their distance, and wearily so. That pleases me. I don't want anyone to be afraid, not at all, but I don't want anyone to think they'd be capable of snatchin' me in his presence, either. Let's face it, that truck would have only passed once if it had been a full grown Rem and not a calf-high corgi with a friendly smile.

Bottom line: I'm happy if you like my dog, and I'm not offended when you don't. That's the beauty of a GSD to someone like me.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I really could not care less ... I don't let my dogs go up to strangers and I don't let strangers come up to my dog.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I really could not care less ... I don't let my dogs go up to strangers and I don't let strangers come up to my dog.

Me too :)

Actually, I am the type that doesn't really like to have people I do not know in my personal space so the fact that most don't want to go there when I have Madix with me is just perfect for me. And when I'm training, I prefer to be left alone as well.

Even people that won't come up will frequently comment that he's pretty. I always say thank you and leave it at that.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I get way more 'what a beautiful/big dog' comments and people requesting to pet him than people making fearful remarks. It's probably because if you even look at my dog, he gets all excited and visibly friendly. Or maybe they are just too scared to even make a bad remark :p.

But I got a german shepherd because I wanted a deterrent. If I wanted a friendly dog people would flock to, I'd get a breed that wasn't used for PP or criminal apprehension. People crossing the street is a sign that his looks are a reasonably effective deterrent, because his personality certainly isn't. :p

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Ditto .... or the only dog that bit them was a shepherd.

·
Registered
522 Posts
some people are afraid, some say she's gorgeous, some say she has great manners, but most don't pay any attention. If i see someone looking at her, i'll move to the other side of the street. Also, if i see someone coming with a dog I move to the other side of the street (even if i don't have a dog) because i don't know how it acts, i don't know the owner. We don't use walks for socialization, skylar is learning to ignore everyone on walks, we use agility, rallyo, daycare, etc. for socialization, with dogs we can trust. So, i really don't care if people are afraid or love her, most of them I won't let pet her, and we certainly don't greet other dogs just walking along.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Ditto .... or the only dog that bit them was a shepherd.
I am generally a friendly outgoing person and I want a dog that is the same. I don't want her to be overly friendly, but tolerant of people and other dogs. I didn't get a shepherd for any sort of protection, I got one because they are smart, strong, athletic and beautiful. Luckily, mine is not fearful or aggressive, she's just a real nice dog.... and I like the compliments on her appearance, movement and behavior.

·
Registered
403 Posts
People are scared when they see my dog behind my fence haha. She's a monster. She's large for a GSD and has the most ferocious bark.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I hope so.

I dont live in a good neighborhood so when I walk my GSD I do not let anyone come near us. If they ask if they can pet him I say "No, he will bite". The last thing I need is the scum in my neighborhood knowing that my dog loves everyone.

If we are walking somewhere else then everyone is allowed to pet him.

My neighbors all think he is mean except the 3 neighbors that I actually talk to, they know he is a sweetheart but they do not tell the others that.

My next door neighbor got his house broken in twice within 2 months, they are an older couple that doesn't have any dogs. People know that there are 2 girls in their early 20's at my house but they also know that a GSD and a Rottweiler live there, so they dont bother us. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope so.

I dont live in a good neighborhood so when I walk my GSD I do not let anyone come near us. If they ask if they can pet him I say "No, he will bite". The last thing I need is the scum in my neighborhood knowing that my dog loves everyone.

If we are walking somewhere else then everyone is allowed to pet him.

My neighbors all think he is mean except the 3 neighbors that I actually talk to, they know he is a sweetheart but they do not tell the others that.

My next door neighbor got his house broken in twice within 2 months, they are an older couple that doesn't have any dogs. People know that there are 2 girls in their early 20's at my house but they also know that a GSD and a Rottweiler live there, so they dont bother us. :D

Brilliant lol people where I live know nothing about our gsd , in a way after hearing this I'm sort of happy now because if anyone pulls into our driveway or knocks our door , or comes into our house , shes first to know and she's first to meet them!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It has been both ways. Some people cross the street, probably because I weigh in at only 110 pounds and Pyrate weighs 108 and Raina weighs 90 and is very fluffy so it probably looks like they are as big as me. Both of my dogs are trained to walk at my side and will stand off the sidewalk and go to a sit on command when a bicycle or a person with a stroller is going by. Then there's the people that have to come and tell me how they had a GSD once and always loved them, etc, and want to pet my dogs - sometimes I let them (depending on the person) and sometimes I just tell them not to approach. The ones I really hate are the ones that try to tell me how to train my dogs. I usually say something like "That's interesting" and then just move on. I watch my dogs body language to gauge whether I want the person anywhere near me. If I'm in my home town where we have very little crime I walk late at night and never worry when I'm accompanied by one of my furry kids. If I go to Miami I carry a gun to protect me and my dog. I've met very few people that I like as much as my dogs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If we are out walking our dog people sometimes really move away and cross the road when they see our gsd coming, and sometimes when I would be waiting outside shops on my girlfriend people would jump when they see her and run past or else say to whoever there with "watch that dog doesn't bite you". OR " watch that dog" ........:mad::mad::mad:

Now my dog walks very good by my side , and when she is waiting she sits and doesn't move. Plus she has good manners and is groomed and brushed all the time!!!

I hate when people stereotype dogs because of what breed they are. It's like pitbulls , they are a very loving dog they just don't get a chance!
I agree. People don't normally see the good side of a GS though. When they see them on TV as police dogs, they are almost always in some type of attack or aggressive mode, as junkyard dogs, they are made aggressive, etc. They don't understand the intelligence of these dogs and how they are not like you see on TV.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Are any of you afraid of snakes? I'm not, I have one, and I could go on all day about how nice and wonderful and cool and not slimy she is until I'm blue, most people are still going to be afraid of them, and won't touch one. It's going to be the same with these dogs, and I think we're going to have to accept it. I can honestly see where someone who has only seen GSDs on TV taking down criminals and baring it's large teeth would make people nervous about them in real life, and I just don't see a reason to be aggravated by someone's natural fear. Would it be great if everyone knew what great dogs GSDs were? Of course. But nothing in this world works that way.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
This past summer, a woman in Muslim dress ran across the street crying when she saw Wolfie and I walking towards her. He was 7 months old at the time. Strangely, that struck me as amusing. I have had people cross the street or go way into the grass when they see us coming. I'd rather have that than the people who just stick their hands out, grab Wolfie, whistle at him, or let their dogs jump all over him uninvited.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts