German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i been asked before during walks if my dog was for sale. didn't think much of it, the answer was always no. i just got stopped by a stranger while walking my 2 dogs a few minutes ago, a year and half old red sable and a 4 1/2 month old tan sable. this is the second time i have been stopped on the street and asked if my doges were for sale in the past 3 days. i said "no, these are my kids, nobody sells their kids".

has anyone else been asked if their dogs were for sale?

·
Registered
112 Posts
No, but we get stopped every time we walk the dogs with people complimenting them. We have had people stop their cars in the middle of the street! We have been asked if we were going to breed them.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
That is crazy!
No, that's never happened to me, but a guy did pull his truck over to the side of the road while I was walking Varick. He told me that his bitch just went into heat, and asked if I wanted to breed the two...just because they are both dark sables.

·
Registered
65 Posts
All the time people in my apartment complex ask if they can have my dog.... Not even offering money I would NEVER!!! It is annoying to me. But I guess it is a compliment. I have also had someone tell me they were going to steal my dog. that one worries me a bit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
LOL!!! A man in a toll booth by the bay bridge here in MD asked if my dog was for sell I laughed because I thought he was just making conversation, but he went on to say I could come back through if I changed my mind and that I knew where he worked ...I was like wow ... NO

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Nope, but if they did, it wouldn't bother me. I'd take it as a compliment.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Lol, take it as a compliment! We get lots of compliments while out for walks, but have never had anyone outright ask to buy my dog. However, I HAVE had many people say to me, "If you ever decide to get rid of her, I'll be happy to take her off your hands." Hahaha, yeah, right!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Lol, take it as a compliment! We get lots of compliments while out for walks, but have never had anyone outright ask to buy my dog. However, I HAVE had many people say to me, "If you ever decide to get rid of her, I'll be happy to take her off your hands." Hahaha, yeah, right!
Just because they ask you doesnt mean you have to hand your dog over to them. Probably if the dog owner said yes I'm selling the other person wouldn't even be interested. Sometimes people just ask that question. Why? Who knows, maybe they even meant it as a compliment. Most sane people would ask where you got the dog, breeder ie. so yeah, I wouldn't be upset the person asked me, unless they were rude about it , or give it another thought.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
alot over the years..its flattering but not interested in selling my dogs:)

·
Registered
208 Posts
No, but we get stopped every time we walk the dogs with people complimenting them. We have had people stop their cars in the middle of the street! We have been asked if we were going to breed them.
I had two people last week if I would stud out my dog to their female. A landscaper pulled up to me in the parking lot and said "I have the perfect girlfriend for him" and then another man in REI came up to me in the middle of fitting Samson for boots (not easy) and insisted I see pictures of his female that was going into heat and they would make beautiful babies.

Obviously I would never! Not to mention my boy is only 5 months. It's like marrying off my 11 year old human to a stranger.

We recently bought a camper off of Craig's List though and the man said we could have the camper if he could have our dog. Our 7 year old said "Mom....nooooooo". I agreed! :) He just couldn't get enough of our boy! I did, however leave our breeder's info with him.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I've had people ask if my dobe was for adoption when I would have him at rescue booths hanging out with me. Maaaaaany people ask about breeding him all the time. Silly average pet owners...sorry I'm not breeding a vWd affected and neutered dog..;D

·
Registered
556 Posts
i been asked before during walks if my dog was for sale. didn't think much of it, the answer was always no. i just got stopped by a stranger while walking my 2 dogs a few minutes ago, a year and half old red sable and a 4 1/2 month old tan sable. this is the second time i have been stopped on the street and asked if my doges were for sale in the past 3 days. i said "no, these are my kids, nobody sells their kids".

has anyone else been asked if their dogs were for sale?
dogs are your kids?! really?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have had TONS of offers for "free girlfriend" -- then they show me their pit, lab, or chihuahua (seriously!). Riiigggghhhhttt.

alexg -- your dogs aren't your kids? Seriously?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I can't have children. I did teach for 12 years and parented somewhat that way. Cats are the pets. Dogs are the kids. Doesn't mean I baby them though -- more like older kids than babies, intelligent thinking older kids.

Whether you think of them as kids or not, what's most important is the feeling of responsibility and stewardship.

As to the thread, I know there are times we joke we would sell them for $1 -- but in reality, most of us would not.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I went to Hungary to do my Training Director Certification and brought my two Shepherds with me.

My male is absolutely exceptional - every trainer/judge we trained with or competed under offered to buy him if I didn't want him. Even a World Championship IPO helper said he could take this dog to the world championships. Needless to say, I declined all offers.

It did take me a while to truly appreciate this dog, but I am so glad I got my head out of my a$$ when he was 9 months old and saw the amazing dog he truly is!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I've had several ask to buy mine and a couple ask if he was an available stud (6 months at the time and neutered sooo... no!) I normally don't have a problem with it, but I did have one guy that got really pushy and rude, actually taking money out of his wallet and trying to shove it in my face. Called me some unsavory things when I refused and walked away. And another one that stopped me at the park I was running him in, and started by complimenting him, then ended by saying that I could just get another dog if he happened to open the gate to my backyard one night and take Kaiju. I don't keep him in the yard at night, but I triple checked my locks for a couple weeks after that anyways. :(

1 - 20 of 52 Posts