German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have always wondered this. If so, why?

There is a K9 officer that lives right down there street. His dog is a female - not a GSD though. I believe it's a maloise(? spelling).

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Yes, most, but certainly not all, are male. As far as why.. males are larger and stronger (and thus more intimidating), the temperament traits needed for patrol work are more commonly found in males, males don't go through heat cycles which can interfere with training and work, and frankly there is pretty commonly a certain degree of macho factor involved in police and military work which equates to a good number of departments, trainers and handlers being more drawn to males just because they are perceived as being more manly.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Might the females with the criteria desired be held back for breeding, and thus not hitting the streets?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I have always wondered this. If so, why?
I would guess for several reasons: not having to deal with heat cycles; males tend to be large, more masculine, and thus more menacing; I've heard some people say that in their experience males tend to show more power and courage in their work, and females can be more of a challenge because they tend to be less forgiving of handler mistakes. I'm not sure if these generalizations are true. I prefer males but couldn't really tell you why.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Might the females with the criteria desired be held back for breeding, and thus not hitting the streets?
Actually, that’s very possible. The K9 officer that lives near us has more than one dog. I just heard through the grapevine that the dog was a female, but who knows (I dont know the guy personally). When I take walks we’ll walk past his house. I know when he’s home w/the dogs because his K9 vehicle (a big Suburban) is parked out front of his house. He lives on a corner lot so I can peek into his backyard and see the kennels. There are sometimes 3 or 4 dogs back there. :wild:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
all the ones i've seen are males but i know one of the PD back home accepts only females into their K9 programs. But the females they accept are pretty well built like males too but more fierce. Its a preference thing but most prefer males for easier handling and no heat cycles lol.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
All the K9 dogs here in Colorado Springs are male. The Sheriff's office got their 3 males from the same breeder and the city 9 teams all of which consists of males.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
All the K9 dogs here in Colorado Springs are male. The Sheriff's office got their 3 males from the same breeder and the city 9 teams all of which consists of males.

OMG!!! How is Co Spgs? I miss home so much!!!! One of the PD in Denver i believe is the one with all females. Not for sure. Its been a couple years since i knew for sure. they may have gotten some males.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I am not sure abour LAPD, but I am pretty sure most are males after looking at their site. The guy around the block from is a Police Officer and has a male GSD(I heard he was a police officer) Someone near my college has a police dog, not sure the breed or the gender, I know they have one is because they have th police car in the drive way and it says "K9 Keep Away"

My friend has 2 police officers near who have trained police dogs, I believe they are GSDs also. I can see why Police Deparments prefer males over females. No heat cycles more macho looking.

·
Banned
411 Posts
I’ve heard that most police departments have dogs of the same sex so it will not be as much of a distraction if search and rescue dogs cross paths while looking for a subject.

One of the nights that police were allegedly searching for a purse snatcher that was heading toward my neighborhood. I got my trusty dog and cell phone and took my dog for a walk and was hoping to spot the suspect. However one of the police that was searching stopped and asked me to go indoors because the suspect was dangerous; I explained I could probably defend myself with my dog and cell phone; but she said their had search dogs coming and that my dog might throw off the search dogs; so I immediately though reluctantly complied with their request.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I’ve heard that most police departments have dogs of the same sex so it will not be as much of a distraction if search and rescue dogs cross paths while looking for a subject.

One of the nights that police were allegedly searching for a purse snatcher that was heading toward my neighborhood. I got my trusty dog and cell phone and took my dog for a walk and was hoping to spot the suspect. However one of the police that was searching stopped and asked me to go indoors because the suspect was dangerous; I explained I could probably defend myself with my dog and cell phone; but she said their had search dogs coming and that my dog might throw off the search dogs; so I immediately though reluctantly complied with their request.
Why would you as a citizen get involved in a police operation of such caliber? I know a lot of us want to be the hero on the 10 o clock news but leave that to the sworn officers to do. You would have opened yourself up to big time lawsuits/liability if your dog would have bitten the suspect. The city has the resources to defend the officers if a suspect tries that. Not so much with citizens.

-E

·
Banned
411 Posts
Why would you as a citizen get involved in a police operation of such caliber? I know a lot of us want to be the hero on the 10 o clock news but leave that to the sworn officers to do. You would have opened yourself up to big time lawsuits/liability if your dog would have bitten the suspect. The city has the resources to defend the officers if a suspect tries that. Not so much with citizens.
-E
I’m tired of there being so much crime and the police only making a token effort. My dog would not have bitten the suspect unless the suspect attacked me or the dog; so therefore it would be self-defense. I have already helped the police capture several suspects, though my participation involved no physical contact with the suspect. I merely bird-doged suspects at a distance and use my cell phone to inform the police where the suspects are. It has nothing to do with wanting to be on the news, on the contrary, the last time I helped apprehend a suspect I didn’t even give dispatch my name. I stayed and shadowed the police until it looked like they had things under control.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I stayed and shadowed the police until it looked like they had things under control.
If you had done such a thing around one of our depts you probably would have been arrested. Not only are you putting yourself in danger by such a thing but also any officer who was distracted by looking out for you safety. And please don't say you stayed hidden in your shadowing. If you can see them they can also see you.

During a chase it is hard enough on an officer keeing track of civllians and the bad guys without someone intentionally putting themself into the mix.

If you really want to help then join a volunteer group - most police dept have one where the people are trained for their jobs.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think what you have done (in the past) is commendable. But I also would agree with what the others have said. Playing pretend-a-cop is dangerous for both you and your dog.

Maybe you should train your pooch for SAR. That way you could be of assistance to your local law officials - legally.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I also think pretending to be a cop is s minor offense and you will get arrested.

·
Banned
411 Posts
If you had done such a thing around one of our depts you probably would have been arrested. Not only are you putting yourself in danger by such a thing but also any officer who was distracted by looking out for you safety. And please don't say you stayed hidden in your shadowing. If you can see them they can also see you.

During a chase it is hard enough on an officer keeing track of civllians and the bad guys without someone intentionally putting themself into the mix.

If you really want to help then join a volunteer group - most police dept have one where the people are trained for their jobs.
What would your deputies be so afraid of that you would arrest a guardian angel or a neighborhood watch member. ;) The last suspect I helped apprehend there were several other people between me and the suspect when the police came. I was helping the police; so wouldn’t it make more sense for your deputies to arrest them? Or better yet perhaps you could arrest the boyfriend that has a history of kicking in the door and assaulting the girlfriend. What kind of screwed up corrupt place do you live in that you trump up charges against people that help the police? Remind me never to come into your neck of the woods.

I had a hunch where the guy went because I better know the neighborhood and I know where people like to hide out; because the police are typically too fearful and lazy to get out of their car. So police typically just drive around a few circuits and shine their spotlight around. So they typically don’t have much chance unless they call in a dog or if it’s night and they call in a helicopter with infrared.

I also think pretending to be a cop is s minor offense and you will get arrested.
That’s the typical type of dishonest hateful assertion that I have become so accustomed to on this message board. So how is being a concerned citizen watching the neighborhood doing your civic duty; “pretending to be a cop”? In some cases you can be arrested for not helping the authorities..

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
What would your deputies be so afraid of that you would arrest a guardian angel or a neighborhood watch member. ;) The last suspect I helped apprehend there were several other people between me and the suspect when the police came. I was helping the police; so wouldn’t it make more sense for your deputies to arrest them? Or better yet perhaps you could arrest the boyfriend that has a history of kicking in the door and assaulting the girlfriend. What kind of screwed up corrupt place do you live in that you trump up charges against people that help the police? Remind me never to come into your neck of the woods.

I had a hunch where the guy went because I better know the neighborhood and I know where people like to hide out; because the police are typically too fearful and lazy to get out of their car. So police typically just drive around a few circuits and shine their spotlight around. So they typically don’t have much chance unless they call in a dog or if it’s night and they call in a helicopter with infrared.

That’s the typical type of dishonest hateful assertion that I have become so accustomed to on this message board. So how is being a concerned citizen watching the neighborhood doing your civic duty; “pretending to be a cop”? In some cases you can be arrested for not helping the authorities..
Whats the hateful assertion that I said? All I said was that I think pretending to be a cop is a minor offense. but that all depends on here you live. Getting involved in a prusuit is dangerous for both you and your dog, and Police deparments sometimes looked down on it. Get involved with your Neighborhood Watch community or something, don't go around playing doing your own one man show. There are times when its ok for the involvement of citizens and there are times where its not. In the cases where you can get arrested for not helping the authorities is usually for hiding or helping a suspect.

Also calling cops lazy and fearful is disrspectful and ageneralization. Those people put their lives on the line FOR YOU!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
We had a neighbor who was a K9 cop with a male dog officer- a malinois named Saroni. My first shepherd was a gift from some people who raised gsds for police and arson work, the smaller females were better suited for searching buildings and cars, climbing over debris because of their size and patience. Our female was one they had saved back for themselves, she was just 65 lbs.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts

Ha! Ha! Hilarious!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts