German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. Are GSD puppies really different from other puppies? It has been an interesting 20 months with Stella but I thought perhaps I just don't remember puppy stuff. It had been a while since having one.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My golden is 3.5, so its not that long ago that I had a puppy before I got the GSD. The golden piddled everywhere and I walked around with a bottle of cleaner ready to clean at any moment. The GSD puppy peed a river when she went, I did much more cleaning with her. I thought the GSD puppy was about the same as the golden as a puppy as far as puppies go. Neither of mine went through a biting stage and they both got used to the crate. The golden did stop chasing the cats at about a year, I'm still waiting for the GSD to stop at 18 months, I'm thinking that I shouldn't hold my breath. At the time I thought she was worse, my patience were not the same as 2 years prior. In the end they are worth it and I'm going to be doing it all over again, hopefully it won't be that bad:)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My puppy was very independent, but wanted to be by me 24/7 if that makes any sense. He didn't require any physical contact (per his choice!) and was very serious. I don't think he was a typical GSD puppy per say, though. He never went through that annoying puppy phase where all they do is jump, bite, jump, bite, he just went straight from serious puppy to the big dog- barreling over anything in his path-wanting to play-test the boundaries type of dog!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Yes, they are different. Not just as puppies, either. Every breed has its own 'normal'.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm just learning the joys of owning a GSD puppy, but she is already so different from my other dogs when they where puppies.

She picks up anything I train (or don't train) her to do very quickly. My other dogs know basic obedience, but it didn't seem like it came so naturally to them.

With the GSD puppy I feel like I'm actually communicating with her and she understands me on a different level, for the most part. I can tell she is thinking things through when we interact. My other puppies where wonderful, and smart, but they didn't seem to analyze my every move.

Most puppies are balls of energy, but my GSD puppy definitely requires much more of me. She isn't content with me watching her roll around with a stuffed animal. She get's super hyper if we don't train a little each day and play with her balls. I'v only skipped one training day with her, but I could tell immediately that she was screaming, "I'm bored, we didn't do anything today," as she ran circles around my tables and preceded to try and bite the air.

Also, I'm not sure if this is just her individual personality, but my GSD puppy has a hard time eating all of her food in one setting without getting distracted by a speck of dust floating in the air. While my previous two puppies scarfed down any, and all food, regardless of the time of day. She is very food motivated when training, but she doesn't like eating from her bowl. It's interesting, I can take her exact same food and offer it to her as a treat while practicing her obedience training and she eats it all up, but put it in a bowl and she quickly looses interest.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So for those who think GSD pups are different....how so?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
There is no off switch on a GSD puppy vrs. other puppies. They are little balls of endless energy and need. Their landshark/chew/teething stages seem to last longer and are more intense and they are too smart for their own good sometimes. So much smarter than most other puppies.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Cody and Clipper are the first full blood dogs I've had,gsds. Hooch is full blood pitbull, but have only had him as an adult. My gsds, over other dogs in the past, potty trained and learned not to chew things not their's quicker. We had more of a connection between us, and they are more focused on me or what we're doing, with or without them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts