1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Haven't clicked on the link, but define "smart."

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I don't think so, dogs are just more trainable. Willing to please. I remember reading an article a while back that ratio of brain to body size cats are much more intelligent. Our calico learns just by watching... I taught Gandalf to ring potty bells to go outside well to my surprise shortly after kitty walked up to the bells and tapped them and then sat at the door waiting to go outside. I can also pretend my hand is a gun and "shoot" her and she does a very dramatic play dead. She picks up on a ton of every day speech, comes when whistled, etc. Her recall is way better than any dog and I didn't even have to train it! Plus they come potty trained lol! She is very instinctual though, and can be very mean if in a bad mood... for example if I'm busy on my laptop and tell her no I can't pet you she will get pissed off, walk by the dog and smack him for no reason or smack my husband. She likes to take her revenge out on others. She used to taunt my old sable shepherd into chasing her, she would then climb up on the fireplace mantel and knock ceramic pots on his head. She can be a vicious little thing which is why I prefer the sweetness and straightforwardness of dogs.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The article mentioned a study done in which they counted neurons in a cat brain and two dog brains (one small, one large). This was based on a previously established potential relationship between intelligence and the number of neurons. The small dog had twice as many neurons as the cat, and the large dog had even more.

Frankly, while I do think cats are fairly intelligent and also may choose to use that for evil rather than good, I'm not surprised. My dog is way smarter than my two cats put together (although the one is pretty much at zero, so maybe she's a bad example).

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Having been trained by a number of cats to wait on them hand and foot for the dubious privilege of being allowed to pet them once in a while - I'd say definitely!!! MUCH smarter than dogs!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree with Nigel!
I shared a room with a friend and her cat for a while. He was an interesting cat. He would fetch hair ties and get us to fling them across the room. We never taught him how to fetch. He just started doing it when he was bored. I would also play catch with him, and hide and he would stalk me, wiggle his hindend and try to "catch me" but he would always stop right in front of me, as to not hurt me.
I also taught him to sit & wait for his food. And every time he was hungry he would run and sit in front of his food bowl. He was starting to figure out how to open doors as well and would leap at the door handle to try to get it to go down. Luckily he couldn't quite figure out how to get a decent hold of it yet.

I would say dogs and cats are on average equally smart in different ways. :)

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a tiger striped cat that loved to ride in the car, so of course I ended up taking him everywhere with me. Fishing, camping, hiking, visiting friends, etc. And just like a dog his recall was awesome, never put a leash on him! I'm thinking he had more neurons than the average feline...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts