German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a dog is left overnight at the vet's, and it's not a 24 hour hospital, are the dogs left alone all night or does someone stay there with them?

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Depends on the vet and the circumstance. Here, if they need watching overnight you are often asked to take the dog to the evet overnight. Then you shuffle them back in the morning because the evet closes during the day.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Stoli had X-rays done once and they didn't call me before I went to work which of course seriously irritated me since I did NOT want my boy gone overnight...luckily my vet came in at 1030 to open up and let me get my boy and there wasn't anyone there when we got there which I was not a fan of....so as for vets I don't think there is anyone there unless it's a 24 hour facility but it could depend on the Vet as well....
how about Camp Bow Wow Stoli goes there a few days a week and when I am out of town he stays there...does anyone know if they stay overnight???

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
With most vets (including the one I worked for) usually there is no one there overnight unless it's an emergency/24-hour clinic, or on Sundays unless there is a boarder or hospitalized animal there. If a patient needs overnight care/monitoring the owner usually has to bring them to the e-vet for the night, and then back in the morning when the e-vet closes unless it's a 24-hour e-vet (one here is, another isn't). I had to do that with my Golden when she bloated at night, she had surgery at the e-vet but then I had to transport her to my regular vet in the morning. My vet ended up having me just bring her home that night instead of taking her back to the e-vet because the dog was really upset about being left and my vet knew I would take good care of her at home and knew how to care for her properly. She's done that a few other times too when I had a sick pet, she had me take them home with me because she knew they'd get good care overnight and close monitoring, and that I know how to do things like sub-q fluids and injections myself if needed...

I've also worked at two dog daycare/boarding kennels. One IIRC had an overnight shift, the other had someone (I think it was one of the facility owners?) who slept there overnight.

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
Depends on the vet and the circumstance.
^ This. You should ask your own vet what their practices are. My vet's office is not staffed 24 hours a day. If animals need to stay overnight and be monitored, someone will spend the night. If it's not necessary, they don't.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Yes ask the vet, my vet will take the animals home with her.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I do not understand why some Vet clinics make spayed/neutered dogs stay the night when there is no one there?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Our vet only staffs a person overnight if an animal warrants it. I know because my one kitty was very ill when I adopted her and she had to stay overnight and the vet told me there would be somewhere there because of another animal that needed to be watched (for whatever reason).
I worried because her upper respiratory infection was so severe she had trouble breathing. If nobody was going to be there, she was coming home with me.

I've always worried what would happen if they ripped out an IV or something happens and nobody is there.
You figure that if your vet staff left at say 7 or 8pm, those animals are left unattended for about 12 hours (maybe less).

That's scary.

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
Mine sends them home the same day for spay/neuters.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The vet I worked at had a night time crew. They cleaned and prepared the equipment for the next day, meds for the night etc. They left at night and if there was an animal that had a serious concern the 3 doctors rotated night watch. Plus they had on call answering service

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies, I'm not sure why that question popped into my head at 2 in the morning. It does seem like 10-12 hours would be a long time to leave a dog alone if it's recovering from surgery.
In this day and age you'd have to hope that the ones who aren't staffed at night at least have webcams or monitors hooked up.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
My vet is open extended hours and 7 days a week. He handles his own emergencies, and requests that his patients do not use the E-vet, but to call him. He has a few staff members that work the overnight hours to monitor the hospitalized patients and the patients that are their for boarding.

I love my vet:)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I will never again leave a dog overnight at a vet's office.
My biggest regret is leaving my sick puppy overnight; she died
in a cage all alone in a strange place. I don't know if I had her
at home watching her if I could have saved her or not but at least
she would have died in my arms

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I love my vet, but the one downside is that she doesn't have anyone working overnight in the hospital. I've left sick Hooligans there several times, worried constantly about them, and when in her opinion they need 24/7 monitoring, she has me take them to the ER for the night then bring them back to her clinic the next morning.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts