German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the health of our gorgeous pets is so important ,which is why we have always made sure that all boosters were kept up to date,...Zolas reminder came the other day and i mentioned it to a work mate of mine,who in turn told me alittle story........According to a close friend of his,who happens to work in the vets trade,the booster is nothing more then a money making racket....According to this friend,the booster lasts for up to ten years and therefore never needs to be given every year.......My work mate has a pack of lab working dogs and over the years has never had trouble with his dogs,,,I`m starting to wonder if we are wasting our money and getting Zola treated every year,,What are your views please ..One more thought that has crossed my mind though...If the booster lasts ten years and dogs are treated yearly,,,,how come they dont get overdosed ???

·
Registered
31,796 Posts
Is this her one year booster?

The new studies coming out are saying the shots last 5-7 and up, possibly lifetime. Looks up Dr. Dodds protocol on vaccinations.

Jax will be 6 this year. She had her puppy shots, her one year booster and I titered at 4 years. Her titers were so high she should never need another vaccination again.

I don't think it's a money making scam. I think vets are taught the shots need to be given at a certain interval and they aren't reading, or not agreeing with, the new research. I think the money making scam is coming from the pharmaceutical companies pushing their drugs as a required yearly thing. Imagine how much money the companies would lose if every dog went from yearly to every 5 years?

So, in my experience with titers and what I've read, titer Zola this year to see what her immunity levels are and decide from there what shots she needs.

·
Registered
31,796 Posts
AAHA 2011 vaccine guidelines
http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/CanineVaccineGuidelines.pdf
WSAVA vaccine guidelines (many docs here to read)
http://www.wsava.org/guidelines/vaccination-guidelines
Dr. Dodds minimal vaccine protocol (puppy series + 1 yr booster or titer and then titer at xx yearly intervals to monitor immunity)
Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Dr. Dodds' 2012 Canine Vaccination Protocol

This is enough from reputable sources to get your started. Do your research, decided whether you want to give the booster or titer and print what you need to show your vet. And stick to your choice...if your vet pushes yearly vaccines...push back. The studies are out there to back you up.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for that,will do some research...:)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
In many areas a booster shot for rabies is required by law ... thankfully in most places it's been increased from a yearly shot to every three years ... hopefully this will change to a longer period some day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Be careful because it can invalidate your insurance if you miss a booster . Mine actually asks for the date of last booster on the claim form that you give to the vet to fill in, so no way around it .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts