German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I switched from high quality leather leashes to biothane and will never look back. It's supple, can "pop" a correction as good as leather and doesn't get funky like leather when wet or muddy. I haven't experienced any slipperiness.I have a 6ft with a frog connector, a 30ft and a 2ft lead; all from mydogequipment.com. They are high quality, custom made in the USA, NOT CHINA!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I use my 30 foot line daily. It feels great, but I have added 3 knots along the length, as it's slippery when wet. The drawback of knots is, after a while, (4 years with my first long line), it broke in 2 where a knot was. I move my knots every week to prevent a breakage. Also, you want the leash stitched, not riveted. Riveting compromises the integrity of the leash. There is a non-slip biothane version available, the biothane is textured. I prefer the feel of the smooth version.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Slippery or not will usually depend on the type of Biothane webbing. Keep in mind they make many different coatings, some are super slippery and some are not. You want to use Biothane Beta 520 lead (it has a leather like texture). You dont want leads riveted, you want them stitched, rivets compromise integrity of the material. Similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/Viper-Biothane-Working-Tracking-Colors/dp/B01A7HN0O8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=viper+biothane&qid=1590426573&sr=8-3
you probably want 5/8" lead at most for GSD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts