German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, my 7 month old GSD has been experiencing violent rear leg shakes along with an arched spine after getting up from lying down. Our vet said he doesn't think it is from his legs "falling asleep" so we are bringing him in on Monday. In the meantime we would like to know if anyone has seen this or may know what it is? Hank, our dog, does not appear to be in pain but it is very frightening to us.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
Could it be a bad urinary tract infection?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I would have a full blood panel with urinalysis run (checking kidney and liver and pancreas function). I would also consider running a SNAP test for tick diseases.

Keep us posted, hope it's something easy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mmm :thinking: My puppy does that everytime he gets out of the crate and sometimes after getting up from lying down though his rear legs don't really "shake" it seems like he's stretching..

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
is your dog roached???

Lately, my 7 month old GSD has been experiencing violent rear leg shakes along with an arched spine after getting up from lying down. Our vet said he doesn't think it is from his legs "falling asleep" so we are bringing him in on Monday. In the meantime we would like to know if anyone has seen this or may know what it is? Hank, our dog, does not appear to be in pain but it is very frightening to us.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
He sounds like he is in pain. I have heard of urinary tract infections or kidney infections causing pain that arches the back. Could be otherthings too.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Not to scare you but that was one of the symptoms of kidney problems. I would be sure to do full blood as suggested and urine. Does he seem to pee allot, drink allot and what color is his urine?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Is it just when he gets up and stretches? Then goes away completely?

Or do you see this behavior all day long?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's only when he get's up and then for the rest of the day he is fine. He is very active and doesn't seem to have any other problems. He hasn't been peeing any more than usual. His pee vary's in colour from light yellow to a darker yellow. He has been having more accidents the past few weeks.

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I'm sure they will help prepare me when I visit the vet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts