German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 yr old GSD has been playing with my son's now 11 week old English Mastiff. She has been very gentle and patient with his sharp razor teeth! My son and I are wondering though, if perhaps the puppy should be discouraged from "biting" Stella, my GSD. He gets really excited and a bit carried away. So far she has tolerated this, and has been very gentle when mouthing him, but I don't know how much longer she will continue. I have been training "time out" command. Just curious what others think.

Also, the little guy has tried humping her....lol....Stella is not that kind of girl! Isn't it a bit early for this? I am guessing it is a dominance behavior, not sexual. I definitely stop this nonsense ASAP. But it was kind of funny.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Stella will stop him from being too bitey. Ginger let Jonas know when he was too rough. Just make sure you are there to stop it if it goes to far. Humping? You definitely want to stop this now. It sounds like your doing it right to me. IMHO

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do believe the puppy got his first real correction from Stella last night. He latched onto her tail and wouldn't let go. Stella was not too fond of this and let him know it! The pup yipped and just sort of looked like "huh?", and then decided he didn't want to play anymore. That lasted about 5 minutes....
He is just relentless! I just worry that she will hurt him unintentionally. I have had her on the leash for most interactions but maybe it should be the puppy on the leash.....?????

1 - 3 of 3 Posts