German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 week old puppy playing with my 5 year old Westie. This is about normal play for them. Sometimes a bit more rough sometimes less.

I don't remember if I captured it here but sometimes he will walk up and turn around and back his butt into her and push her around with it. What's going on there?

Does this seem like appropriate play to allow between the two? I've had dogs my whole life but this is my first time with two dogs in the same household. I want to make sure they do well together as he continues to grow and mature.

https://youtu.be/uD_AQHB31IM

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
Looks like they're playing nicely together.If they ever get overly stimulated and rough,just separate them for a while for some down time.Backing into another dog or even a person, is a herding behavior.An instinct to protect their important body parts(eyes,ears,mouth).Almost like when someone jokingly throws something at your face,your turn away and cover your head automatically:)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Great video and great looking GSD pup.

Overall, it looks within reason and your Westie besides being tolerant is showing all kinds of signals to keep the "mood" from escalating....the turning of the back looking out the window and of course assuming a submissive posture on the ground on its back exposing the soft of its belly. There was a quick moment when your Westie did send a signal of sorts to your GSD pup to lighten up and your pup did back off....not for long...but did take the hint. The other thing I found of interest was a couple times your Westie looked directly at you while filming and almost was trying to "say" something to you....not sure what but it seemed rather obvious. I'm a believer in there is only one "sheriff" in any pack and it best be a human. I suppose if your GSD pup pushes it...a significant amount more than what was filmed...your Westie will let the pup know....and if that should happen, it might be wise of you as the "sheriff" to use your position of authority and maintain the peace. Pups are afforded a fair amount of leeway by adult dogs usually...but if the pup takes too much advantage of this free pass....a lesson is soon to come there way.

Anyway, this is my lame opinion of what I saw, I'm no expert.

SuperG

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I can't watch videos on the computer that I'm on (slow connection), but the hip butting is normal dog type play. When I used to walk Keeta and Gryffon together, they sometime walked nicely side by side (I'm a stickler on good leash manners), and gently bump hips rhytmically as they walked - it was very sweet. :)

Rougher hip bumping during play is normal, and a good sign that this is indeed appropriate play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts