German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, while out with Wolfie, a man with a very nice looking GSD, approached me. When he was close to me, I heard him say to himself, oh it's just a pup, in a disappointed tone. He asked about Wolfie, and told me he was a breeder of GSD's. Apparently, he was interested in Wolfie as a stud prospect, has seen me walking around the neighborhood, and was waiting to see me come by again to talk. He didn't know Wolfie was a puppy until we got closer. He was impressed by the way Wolfie walks so well with me, could tell by his body style and coloring that he was DDR, and thought Wolfie was gorgeous. I was a little leary about this guy and wouldn't give him my name or any info. I just spoke politely about Wolfie and his lineage, but that was it. I don't know if he really was a breeder, but I am not about to give my info to a perfect stranger. If he was a legit breeder, then it was quite a compliment that he was interested in Wolfie.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i agree its a compliment but i dont blame you for not wanting to give out your info. Wolfie is a good looking dog for sure!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i agree its a compliment but i dont blame you for not wanting to give out your info. Wolfie is a good looking dog for sure!
Thanks! This little voice in my head was saying" does a breeder actually approach people on the street?" He seemed to know his business, but it was still somewhat suspicious.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thanks! This little voice in my head was saying" does a breeder actually approach people on the street?" He seemed to know his business, but it was still somewhat suspicious.

I've actually been meaning to ask you where you got wolfie from because i LOVE the DDR lines. I'm leaning towards DDR/czech lines and i have a few breeders i absolutely love but are not set on.

I've had a couple people, BYBs, approach me about breeding Shelby but she's got a couple traits i wouldnt want to pass on to pups like the seperation anxiety and her desire to not listen/learn at all. She's a gorgeous dog but not breeding quality. I would say yay for the fact he seemed to have a clue, especially since he knew the lines and the fact he's still a pup.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got Wolfie at Ryanhaus kennel in Salisbury Massachusetts. HOME - Ryanhaus Kennel Mom is from Ryanhaus and is retired from breeding. she's now earning her rally titles. Dad is from Von Hena - C kennels. He is also retired and is working on getting his SCH3.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thanks! i'll go look at the site.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
682 Posts
I can't imagine a "true breeder" just approaching you like that? You would think he has his own dogs? Or dogs he has used in the past? What if you said yes, would he have just done it no questions aasked? I'm not liking it too much lol, you did a good thing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I agree about it being kind of iffy. I've had people comment on Zeb and how they should have babies (which I politely said thanks but no thanks lol), but not a professional breeder. I would think he'd have his own connections established.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
mmmm I would have asked him his "kennel" name, just cause I am nosey:)) But I wouldn't have given him any of my personal info, ya never know who's looking to steal a nice looking dog.

I think I also would have told him some 'wolfie' stories, especially the latest log one, and since wolfie is so dang smart, well his stud fee would be atleast 2000 bucks, when he hits adulthood of course:))

I'll never forget how when I had Kodi, who was a giant "mutant" of a gsd , 32" at the shoulders and 125lbs of lean bod, how many people and a couple of breeders wanted "him" just because of his size..I had people stop at my house for gosh sakes, if they saw him outside wanting to 'breed' their bitches to him..Loved him, but he was dumb as a rock, laziest dog I ever had, not to mention the size factor, and I neutered him asap:))

Took him to a rare breed show once, my gosh the shiloh people were gaga over him:)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
No reputable breeder is going to want to use a dog they found out walking about the neighborhood.

I get asked on a regular basis about breeding to my dog and if I have any puppies out of my dog. As there aren't any decent workingline bitches to breed to in my area and I won't breed to anything else and my boy hasn't been koer klassed yet, I'm not breeding him. Not to totally rain on these people's parade, I just tell them that just because my boy has his balls doesn't mean he has to use them. I'm perfectly happy with him going through life as a virgin.

·
Registered
32,029 Posts
I was at a parade with Jax and as we were leaving some guy yelled over to me. He used to breed and was just drooling over Jax. Sorry...not only is she spayed but she's a pound puppy that may or may not be purebred. Her conformation isn't so hot and she has so-so hips. :rofl: I always take it as a compliment when someone likes my dog, regardless of what they think is a great looking dog or not, since I think she's perfect. :wub:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Today, while out with Wolfie, a man with a very nice looking GSD, approached me. When he was close to me, I heard him say to himself, oh it's just a pup, in a disappointed tone. He asked about Wolfie, and told me he was a breeder of GSD's. Apparently, he was interested in Wolfie as a stud prospect, has seen me walking around the neighborhood, and was waiting to see me come by again to talk. He didn't know Wolfie was a puppy until we got closer. He was impressed by the way Wolfie walks so well with me, could tell by his body style and coloring that he was DDR, and thought Wolfie was gorgeous. I was a little leary about this guy and wouldn't give him my name or any info. I just spoke politely about Wolfie and his lineage, but that was it. I don't know if he really was a breeder, but I am not about to give my info to a perfect stranger. If he was a legit breeder, then it was quite a compliment that he was interested in Wolfie.
I just saw wolfies breeder.I am in love with her breeding practices!This is a great site to visit and was in heaven to see all the Cert's for OFA,EYES,OBEDIENCE,HERDING.Good going with your choice of breeder!Sigh,wolfie is beautiful too.:wub:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just saw wolfies breeder.I am in love with her breeding practices!This is a great site to visit and was in heaven to see all the Cert's for OFA,EYES,OBEDIENCE,HERDING.Good going with your choice of breeder!Sigh,wolfie is beautiful too.:wub:
Thank you! It took a lot of research to find another breeder that I liked. Chiefy's breeder was excellent, but passed away a couple years ago, or I would have gone with him again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You were wise, I think, to be leery of the man claiming to be a breeder. He doesn't sound like the reputable breeders here who seem to invest a lot of time researching pedigrees, plus all the other aspects involved. That said, Wolfie is such a really nice dog, as well as good looking, that it is not at all surprising that he attracts so much attention! Guess you're going to have to be careful no one tries to steal him. There were a few people who wanted to buy Wilhoit from me. I told them he wasn't for sale, not for millions of dollars. I doubt you'd ever want to be parted from Wolfie, either.

Cecilia

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Wow! I love the breeder's sable (Olivia)!!! Must... steal... lol jk! Wolfie is a gorgeous boy, but I have to agree with how ya didn't give your info out :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the same problem when taking my first 2 german shepherd from the vet. I was walking in while this gentleman was walking out. He ask how old was my dog, and would I be interested to let her mate with his male shepherd. I just say yeah, so he would leave me alone. He left his card. Today while I was walking my german shepherd. Some guy stop in a car with 2 of his kids in the back. I was worried, but I saw that he had 2 kids in the back so I talk to him. He asked if my dog was a male. I told him it was a female, and he said that he just got a new female shepherd. Pretty nice guy though.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
My bitches have been propositioned many a time.

I disagree that a breeder would not be interested in a dog they see in the neighborhood. And I would think that since he was able to recognize the DDR lines, he probably has some knowledge about those working lines.

If you breed Germans Showline dogs, and up pop an excellent looking dog in the neighborhood, why wouldn't you introduce yourself, and compliment their dog. If, after a conversation, they are not vehemently opposed to breeding their dog to one of yours, then you can get together and look at pedigrees, and discuss health screenings, and registrations.

While it may seem more appropriate to find a dog in a dog class or in a dog show, if you find one somewhere else will you completely ignore it because it was NOT found in a dog class or at a dog show?

Yes, breeders do have contacts. But if they find a dog that seems to complement their bitch, I see nothing wrong with checking them out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Once I was walking Dax (he was probably 8 months old at the time) and a woman approached me and asked "what kind of dog is she?" When I said that HE is a German Shepherd she said I should breed "her" to the woman's dog.

I restated the my dog was a boy and was only a puppy. She told me how big her dog was (like 100 lbs- because that is the measure of a good dog?) and then said "Listen- you can hear him barking from here! Everyone knows him!"

It was hard not to laugh. She didn't listen to me at all and I have no intention of ever breeding Dax. Not to mention that she wasn't even sure what breed he was??

Yeah there are a lot of redneck types trying to find any dog to breed their dogs to around here... lots of dogs tied to trees and free pitbulls in the paper :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts