German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a fairly new owner of a beautiful GSD, who we named Zeus but his registered name is Irk von Osaka Toriu. I’m in the US military stationed in southern Japan, where I found Zeus, and I’m unsure what exactly I've got here. When my wife and I saw him, we were looking for a pet, and that's what we got him for. However, even though I'm almost completely ignorant of the details of pedigree and qualifications, it's apparent even to me that I may have a GSD with some potential it might be worth exploring. He is currently registered under the Japanischer Verein für Deutsche Schäferhunde (JSV) and the Nippon Police Dog Association (PD), and I have his papers for each, which I've attached. I've input him into the Pedigree Database (here ) and, looking at the resultant pedigree back 6 generations, the majority of his progenitors had various "SCHH" notations, which I believe shows the level of schutzhund each accomplished. I also remember the owner of the business we purchased Zeus from going on and on about the pink JSV registration / pedigree papers for Zeus. Not sure what that's all about, but I figure it can't hurt to mention it.

The reason I'm starting this thread is to ask the more experienced folks here to take a look at Zeus' pedigree and tell me if there's anything important I should look into further or take note of, or if there are any conclusions or predictions that can be made from the info there. Assuming no health problems, would it be appropriate to look at breeding him at the right time? Should I consider pursuing some level of schutzhund (or other kind of) training (assuming he has the drive for it)? If it comes to training, what type of authority is recognized worldwide or in the US? My fear with the latter is that we'll expend the time and resources to get him trained for something here in Japan only to find on our departure that no one else recognizes the authority it was granted under.

Our main goal has not changed: to have a good pet. That in itself may preclude serious training. But if Zeus has the potential he seems to my uneducated eye to have, I want to consider exploring it to some degree if it makes sense to do so. The problem is I just don't know what I'm looking at with his papers and pedigree. Thanks for any and all responses!

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi! Sorry, I'm clueless as to pedigree's, but wanted to welcome you to the forum! I'm sure some experienced members will be around to help. There are some really great folks here, with some exceptional knowledge.

Good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Hope you get some help, I posted my pedigree and only got one response so I am still confused.
Your dogs papers look completely different from my AKC papers but they do look very "important".

Are you going to post a picture of your dog? I would love to see the pup!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
He is West German Showlines. Typically capable of sport work for fun and use as a family pet, not as typically working police dogs.

ENJOY THE DOG - don't worry so much about his pedigree......I would not consider breeding him even if you title him (but at least through being involved with Schutzhund, people more in the know can evaluate him and give you advice and you may wind up a GSD addict.

I know if I am looking at a PUPPY I want to see a solid working pedigree with no gaps in titles and hip clearances. If I am looking for a young adult..and just a dog to work, not to breed....all I care about is the actual dog.....though I may be interested in the pedigree to see if there may be some genetic time-bombs.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Hi Mark,

Your dog is of pure German show lines going back several generations. I know little of show lines, others may have some informations about the individual dogs in the pedigree.

GSD's bred in Germany, regardless of their line, must be titled to a minimum of SchH I, among other requirements, in order to be allowed to be bred, and their progeny registered. So having a long-line of Schutzhund titled dogs in the pedigree is normal - your dog may be well suited for the training, if you are interested in Schutzhund, go ahead and join a club and have him evaluated.

Schutzhund is very demaning in time and commitment, but it is also very rewarding and fun!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Assuming no health problems, would it be appropriate to look at breeding him at the right time? Should I consider pursuing some level of schutzhund (or other kind of) training (assuming he has the drive for it)? If it comes to training, what type of authority is recognized worldwide or in the US?
Until you know more about the breed, pedigrees, standard, etc.. I say no do not plan on breeding him. Not all dogs with impressive pedigrees or titles are breedworthy. Doesn't mean they aren't great dogs. Dogs sold as "pet quality" are not meant to be bred.

As far as training or some type of activity I say YES! Anything and everything you can do with your dog that you both enjoy is worth doing. Even if he will not be bred it will still be something fun for you both and if you plan on breeding in the future it will give you some needed experience.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last question. I can't think of any title that wouldn't be recognized because it was earned in another country. However, if you were showing under AKC events those points earned towards titles would not count towards UKC titles since they are two different organizations.

From what little I know about reading pedigrees your dog looks like german showlines. In germany for a dog to be bred it must have a SchH title so that is why you see that going back for generations. I do not know anything about the dogs in his pedigree but I'm sure someone will be able to tell you about them.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
HELLO AND WELCOME, MARK AND ZEUS!:greet:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
train and socialize your dog. get invloved in a class.
figure out what you want to do with your dog. figure out what sport you might want to get invloved in. leave the breeding to the breeders.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
2,967 Posts
This link for his pedigree will be easier for most to read and will also enable you to look at his relatives and do some more research. Like others have said. Your pup is German Showlines.

Irk von Osaka Toriu - German shepherd dog

And like others have said...training of any kind is great. As a showline he may or may not have what it takes for SchH...You won't really know unless he's evaluated. Understand that to be bred and his progeny registrable under the SV, he has to have health clearances for his joints, he has to be have a SchH or Herding title, he has have a conformation rating, and he has to have a breed survey- No small amount of work there.

Also as a male...you really won't have any luck breeding him to a quality female unless he does well at shows. And breeding him to the neighbor's shepherd down the street will not likely produce anything of note. Stud dogs are a dime a dozen, people truly interested in breeding generally need to start with a female, because after they are titled, the bitch can be taken to a very high quality male.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate your advice and perspective on this, and for your warm welcome to the forum! I'm no stranger to forums, but I must say you are the nicest folks I've ever seen on a forum.

While we didn't buy Zeus at a "pet" store, still, that's what we got him for, so we'll stick with that. Our focus will be on enjoying him and keeping him mentally and physically active (partly through training), and not on worrying about titles or breeding.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures of our little 85 lbs (and growing) puppy so you can see him. Hard for me to believe he'll only be a year old in a couple of weeks.
------------------------------------------------
Mark

Zeus, 2-28-2010

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Sure ....... but if you are interested in dog sport (of any kind) it is good to get involved and learn because you will already be thinking ahead to the next dog :)

Besides, GSDs (not all lines) tend to be very active and having some stimulating activity with them is a very good thing.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
1st - Thank you so much for serving your Country! :p

2nd - Your boy is a beauty! :wub:

3rd - Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts