German Shepherds Forum banner

Applesauce and Puppies

867 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Quick question, is it safe to give my GS puppy unsweetened applesauce? He is currently 12 weeks old. Any guidance would be appreciated!!
Thanks,
Bacio's Mom

#4 ·
well there’s always the chance that it could. some dogs are more sensitive than others. without context i’d say... past tense, it’s fine... a lick off the finger or spoonfull. otherwise, it’s not really necessary.

#6 ·
Blueberries are great for all. A nice apple is good also. When they were pups and to soothe those gums and a healthy treat all at once I would take the core out of the apple and stuff with some peanut butter -the one without the erthyritol sugar -which I believe is toxic to dogs and has so much added stuff it’s not good for people - the peanut butter with ingredients of only peanuts is best for people and dogs. I would then freeze it. They loved / love this.

#11 ·
@Jenny720, post

You are thinking of xylitol which is extremely toxic and can be fatal to dogs in any amount. Erythritol is considered safe in small dosages but can cause gastrointestinal symptoms in large dosages.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Yes thank you xylitol that’s the one. My son made homemade cashew nuts butter and homemade peanut butter for the family It’s easy but can be pricey so delicious. I can’t not even touch skippy or any of those crappy brand peanut butters anymore. Not that I would use that in stuffing apples but there are a few natural peanut butters that are on the market but don’t taste so great the dogs seem to like them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.