German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for ideas here! I have a 14 month old female GSD that has no appetite. She has always been a picky eater and now does not seem to want to eat ANYTHING. I have tried everything, I feed raw, she won't eat raw, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt. I tried Honest kitchen, no. She was eating Dr. Harvey's mix with beef, chicken, pork, lamb now she won't eat that. She would eat Orijin, now she won't touch it. No on canned salmon, sardines etc. She would stinky raw tripe now won't touch it. I could go on and on with all the things I have tried. I put her bowl down and she slowly gets up sniffs it and looks at me like I am trying to poison her and walks away!

No vomiting or diarrhea and she is acting fine. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, the past couple of days have been really bad, she has to be hungry! She will take treats when we train and will eat cookies.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
Is she underweight? How long will she go between eating if you don't give in to her and try to entice her? How often do you train and how many treats does she get? Have you tried using her food as training treats?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No she is not really underweight, but she does look a little thinner to me in the last few days. It's hard to use her food as training treats because I don't feed kibble. She would eat the Orijin but now she won't. I have not tried to not entice her because I felt that she is a growing dog and needs her nutrition, But that being said all she has eaten in the past 3 days is a handful of the Orijin and a few bites of raw tripe and today she would not touch the raw tripe or kibble soaked with some pork hearts and liver that I cooked in the crock pot.

We do train quite often and she will take those treats, I use chicken, pork roast or beef roast that I have cut into little pieces or cheese, sometimes kibble for lower value treats. She would rather have her ball as a reward and will spit out the food for her ball as a reward.

Frustrating! I have never had a dog that would not eat unless they were sick!

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
Have you tried home cooked? She obviously eats cooked meat from your treats. I feed raw so don't know how much work home cooked would be on a daily basis.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really would not know what to cook, the Dr. Harvey's is pretty much like home cooked. I cook the meat and mix it with the grains and veggies. Like I said she would eat that and in the last few days she won't touch it, even if I pick a piece of the meat out and had it to her she will spit it out.

Any suggestions on what to cook? I could just cook some meat and try that with some added ground egg shell for calcium I guess.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Provided your dog has no medical condition this is what I would do.

Giver her a rest (do not offer any food) for 48 hours.
After 48 hours offer her the usual food that you would like to feed her on a daily basis. Leave the dish in front of her for max 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove the dish/food from her regardless of if and how much she has eaten.

If anything is left, offer her the leftovers 10-12 hours later.
Don't worry your dog will not starve to death.
Changing your feeding schedule on a daily basis also helps.
Some dogs need to receive this "kick" in order to stop being picky eaters.
Do not spoil your picky dog by offering many types of food in a short period of time. Let them learn that food does not come for free and is not always granted.

Good luck.

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
You could add ground egg shells. I do that for our CRF dog and her calcium levels are good in a Chem17. But if she won't eat the meat you are cooking now, will it make a difference? And what other foods do you need to add with home cooking to make sure all the enzymes, etc are there? I know there are books out there on home cooking, as well as many websites but I've never read them.

When I home cook for a sick dog, it's usually hamburger (drained) and sweet potatoes. You only need 1/2 tsp of ground egg shells per 1 lb of food. And you'll need to bake them before grinding them.

Here's a couple links for you
Cooked Dog Food Recipes - Homemade Dog Food
(the links aren't loading. I just did a google search for "home cooked dog food recipes" and came up with many)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions. Michelle as you said I really don't think she will eat it even if I cook it for her. She won't touch ground meat and rice, does not like any vegetables including sweet potatoes. We will see what the vet comes up with tomorrow, hopefully she is healthy which I am pretty sure she is and we will go from there. Most likely do what Vukc suggested.

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
I agree. It sounds like she's healthy and active, just picky. As long as she isn't losing weight, I would not get to concerned. We have one dog like that. She wouldn't eat raw, wouldn't eat cooked. I finally gave up and threw a bowl of Canidae down. She loves it! Lays on the floor and wraps her legs around the bowl while she eats.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I have fed raw for over ten years, I have a real problem with feeding kibble! When Lyric ate the Orijin I was happy she ate but dismayed that it was kibble! Then she ate the stinky raw tripe that makes me gag and I was shocked. She would not eat the food I cooked for her or anything else raw and she would eat that! Now she won't eat either one, frustrating. She will be loosing weight if she doesn't start eating, she looks a little thinner to me.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Crazy that she is so picky, it sure doesn't come from her grand dam Ira's genes!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know, I have never had a dog like this! Hope they don't find any issues tomorrow at the vet. I am worried.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Make sure they check her mouth/throat if possible. She may have some pain or something making her not want to eat. Bone fragment imbedded as an example.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Jane, I will.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, we went to the vet yesterday. She could not find anything on the physical exam so they took a lot of blood and we did a fecal. She thinks there is the possibility of valley fever which is very prevalent in Arizona. She said that sometimes the only symptom they have is loss of appetite. I am hoping that is not it but it is a good possibility. It is treatable but it can be a very nasty disease. The vet said to keep trying to get her to eat anything I can. Last night I got a chicken breast and a half of can of some prescription dog crap into her.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update. All the tests are normal. Normal, labs, fecal and x-rays. So we are just chalking it up to hormones and the heat here for now. It's over 100 everyday and she never liked the hot weather. I am taking the hard line now and if she doesn't want to eat I pick up the food until the next meal. For the past two days she didn't wan't to eat during the day but ate all her food in the evening, not with much enthusiasm but she ate it! Vet wants to recheck the Valley Fever titres again in a couple of weeks just to make sure it's not early VF. So that's the scoop!

·
Registered
124 Posts

After 48 hours offer her the usual food that you would like to feed her on a daily basis. Leave the dish in front of her for max 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove the dish/food from her regardless of if and how much she has eaten.

Do not spoil your picky dog by offering many types of food in a short period of time. Let them learn that food does not come for free and is not always granted.

Good luck.
This is what I would do, good answer.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Good luck.
Yeah this is the best way to fix the situation.

In my house dogs dont get to be picky, if they dont eat all their food in 10 mins or less then its gone until the next day. They will eventually understand that they only get to eat what i let them and if they dont then to bad for them.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
All 3 of my dogs are really not eating. Kiya's on 50% homecooked and Apache & Lakota get Earthborne Holistic I add a little kirkland to stretch it. They seem to have no problem with cookies or liver brownies to I will have to attribute it to the heat. It's really driving me crazy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts