German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been one of those days :roll eyes:

We had to take my DH car to the mechanic for a service so I decided it was a great opportunity to take Hex along as we were walking back to our shop. I don't usually get a chance to walk him in "public" with traffic etc.

He did really well, he was heeling quite nicely on his fursaver, sat at every street crossing and did really well. (He was maybe a little anxious bout that was the whole point of taking him - to put him in that situation)

As we got closer to the shops with more people he got quite interested and started pulling on the lead a bit more and even moved to sniff someone walking past so I decided to put his Halti on - I don't like using it but it subdues him instantly and he will not pull or sniff at people.

When we got to the mall my DH went inside to get some lunch for us.
Hex got a bit worried when he couldn't see him anymore and started to sook.
I walked him around the corner and asked him to sit - he calmed right down and we sat near one of the car parks waiting quietly.
It was really warm today so hex was panting hugely mouth wide open tongue lolling out.

An older man parked in that spot and walked over to us - Hex looked at him alertly and made to move toward him to sniff so I told him "leave it" and he did.
The guy started talking to me and said "Oh don't worry it's good your dog is friendly thats a good thing" then he looks at him and asks why I have that strap across his nose.
I explained that it was a halti and how they work and stop the dog from pulling on lead.
He looks at me like I'm and idiot and says "I know what it's for but you should never use one, do you know what people think they look bad"??

Now I was brought up to be polite so I answered that I was aware that some people seemed to think they look like a muzzle and pointed out that mine was black so it blends in with my dogs colour and is not obvious.

The man then starts telling me off how yes they do look like a muzzle and how me having one on my dog gave dogs everywhere a bad image and that I should not ever use it because of that and that my dog should not have one on in public and that I was doing a bad thing .......
Then he says "I'm into dogs too so I know all about this"
At this stage I was feeling pretty taken aback as Hex was just politely sitting panting but I decided to stay with polite and asked "oh what kind of dogs do you have" He says Shi Tzu's
I tried hard not to laugh and just said "well they are a bit smaller than a Shepherd hey" and walked off :)

Geez so it would have been better for dogs everywhere to have a GSD swinging off a choker barking and lunging at people I guess :confused:
I don't understand why people always need to stick their nose into stuff that just doesn't involve them :(

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Many people are natural busybodies and think the world revolves around their opinions.

Next time tell him to pound sand and mind his own business.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ha. He knows '' all '' about it and he has a Shih Tzu.

Mooch, I think you did excellent, and don't let one old man tell you different.
Sadly, people are use to dogs lunging and barking like crazy so seeing a well behaved dog is just wrong in their eyes.

Keep doing what your doing. :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It amazes me when people insist they know everything and then you find out they really don't know anything about German Shepherds. I went to an anniversary party at one of my favorite pet food stores. I didn't take my dog due to the fact that she thinks small dogs are prey but I did go with a friend and we took one of her rescues who is well behaved. She uses an EZ Walk harness because my friend has two bad shoulders. A lady, who called herself a trainer, took it upon herself to come over and tell us that we should never use a harness, only a head collar. She is a mixed breed something that was thrown out of a car door in a truck stop parking lot. My friend's husband just happened to be there with his truck so he picked her up and hung around for a few days waiting for a load before he decided to bring her home. During this time he got to know her well and found that she had obviously been tied up with some type of head collar as there were scars where the hair had been worn off around her neck and nose. To this day the dog shys from head collars. People should just mind their own business instead of showing off their stupidity. I watched later as that same lady took part in an obedience demonstration. I wasn't impressed. Her dog refused to stay in a down when she asked and then left the position before she released it to come to her.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Many people are natural busybodies and think the world revolves around their opinions.

Next time tell him to pound sand and mind his own business.
:thumbup: Couldn't agree more :)

Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
You run into people like this everywhere! Can't take two steps without someone telling you how to walk, feed and train your dog. I just smile and say, "thank you, my dog is fine the way he is", in a friendly tone, but one that is clear that I will not be discussing the subject any further.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I see that being rude is not just limited to the USA, Poor you just sitting quietly waiting for lunch and then you get verbally assaulted.

One of the benefits of having a GSD for me is that it has helped me get over being timid. I was raised to be polite too, but I'm over it. My dog recently had TPLO surgery, we were instructed to walk slow on her walks to make her bear weight on the surgical side. While walking in this manner, the few days two men shouted, " who's walking who" and "your dog looks fat" by a man who's 100lbs overweight.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Sounds like you handled it very well. I too sometimes just wnat to tell the idiots out there to mind their own business, but that does little to improve the breed image. When I get ridiculous but well meaning "advice" I just thank them and move on.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I am thinking that different breeds respond to different kinds of training in different ways. I may know a lot about my dogs, but that doesn't make me an expert in all dogs. Just like kids are all human, they all have different ways of learning. One size does not fit all!

·
Registered
594 Posts
You are so right, Jaders, about people seeing a well behaved dog (esp a well behaved GSD!!) and thinking something must be wrong. I get comments all the time about Echo and her black & tan partner Tori (lab//rottie)....something as simple as having them in a sit-stay while the yapper ankle biters are dragged past by their owners earns them comments. I hear things like: "You must have given them both tranquilizers, ha ha" or something equally silly. I think it's mostly just embarrassment over the way THEIR dog is behaving more than anything else. I'm just glad my dogs are setting a positive impression.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The problem is

People that think they know everything are an irritation to those of us that do.

Can't remember who sid this, but I thought it was funny.:D

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I don't think I could have been as nice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would have just told him that I thought he was wrong and that he should mind his own business. It's almost better to laugh it off though because it is so absurd. People like this must have a huge chip on their shoulder all the time, if they feel so compelled to lecture random strangers on the street.

...and he owned Shih Tzu's? Hey don't knock it. Shih Tzu's were used to pull sleds in Alaska before huskies were. You can wiki it. On second thought don't ... Just take my word for it. :cry:

Our dog used to wear a Halti at times and we would often get asked if it was a muzzle as well. We used to explain it, but eventually, our standard response would be, "Nope, she can bite as easily as ever!" In any case, its use is in its utility. Who cares how it looks...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Idiots the halti collar is used widely by service dogs everywhere does that make their trainers bad people and them bad dogs lol makes me laugh I am glad you were able to keep your cool.

·
Banned
377 Posts
How likely is it that a Shih Tzu's owner would know anything about a Halti.
You can restrain a Shih Tzu with dental floss.
When I see someone with a small dog like a Shih Tzu I am tempted to say:
"Cute dog, when you get the rest of it?" But, of course, I don't.
'To each his own' said the old maid when she kissed the cat. <<< one of my
grandmother's favorite expressions.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
You deserve major kudos for your polite treatment of the the nosy guy. sounds like he is yet another person to add to the list of peole who hear only their own voice. BTW thanks to Hex and you for being great breed ambassadors! Im thinking bones and chocolate for everyone according to their species.

·
Registered
31,889 Posts
I used to use a Halti about a decade or so ago. Once a guy hurried his kids away saying the dog is not nice it has a muzzle. I though, oh well. No matter what you do, someone is going to have an opinion or misconception about it. Just smile and agree with the guy. That usually shuts them up, and defeats their purpose at the same time.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm amazed that people are so thin skinned that they
let a comment from a stranger bother them.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
i'm amazed that people are so thin skinned that they
let a comment from a stranger bother them.
Why? Society wouldn't exist if people were unaffected by stranger's opinions. We're raised to care. Otherwise we'd all be completely intolerable to each other :p.

That guy is a weirdo for making the connection that your dog is giving other dog's a bad name because people have an irrational fear of things that look like muzzles. The problem is with other people, not your dog.

Guess horses must be super duper scary and aggressive to him since they are all wearing 'muzzles':rolleyes:.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts