German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm going to start looking for an apartment this month since I found a roommate. I've never lived in an apartment (I'm 18 so this is "my" first place lol) so I'm curious about how it works with dogs. I'm sure all places are different but I mean do they actually do research on dog breeds or is it pretty basic BSL "if it has these markings/colors/head shape/body type/moves a certain way/looks even SLIGHTLY like said breed it is that breed no doubt about it??? I mean if they say "No Pit Bulls" are they going to flip if you bring in a Cane Corso?

In my situation, I have a mixed breed dog. He is 22.5in, liver and tan colored and weights between 48-50lb depending on when he last ate/peed/pooped/drank water/whatever. I'm wondering if I could get in trouble if I tell them he is an Australian Working Kelpie. Could they turn me away and tell me he is a German Shepherd? I have vet papers that say he is a Kelpie mix. (And honestly, I'm switching vets soon anyways so the next place I could go I could simply put him down as a Kelpie) His adoption papers say he is a Labrador!!!! Could they still decide he is a German Shepherd in their eyes and say I can't live in the apartment because of it?

The place I REALLY want to move to I don't think has any limits/restrictions or at least they didn't say so (It says "Pets Allowed" and that's it) but IF I can move there is the question and IF they actually don't is another. All other places in my price range have breed restrictions which I haven't called to see what those are yet but just in case German Shepherd is on the list.

Honestly only God knows what Chance is but by looking at him, he pulls off a Kelpie quite well imo. Maybe not a show one but the ones who are actually bred to work! Maybe a tiny bit over sized but hey that happens in all breeds right?

I don't want to just say a "mix" because I've gotten questions about him being a German Shepherd AND if he has DOBERMAN in him which totally makes it even worse....

Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
if the building says no pit bulls, then more often than not - they also include other bully breeds. if i saw Chance, i'd think he was a GSD... but if you have documentation from a vet that he's a Kelpie Mix... then you should be fine. however - its to the individual landlords discretion. its generally an insurance issue... which is why a lot of landlords arent flexible.

i've been a renter for 10yrs [successfully renting 6 different places] and only once did i have an issue with breed. for me the bigger issue is size and number of dog restrictions... not breed.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do plan on checking the weight limit. I've only seen two who actually puts one out on their website and one was 30lb and one was a 50lb limit but the 50lb limit was too far. The others just say breed restrictions but don't give the breed(s). I'm just worried that I'm going to come across a lot of places that DON'T allow German Shepherds and that even if I had vet papers that say he is a Kelpie and tell them myself they'll say he is a German Shepherd because of his markings or something (Not that he is of any color/pattern that a Kelpie can't come in) and can't stay. (Which means I'll be right back looking for another place to live) And I'm wondering if they can do that? Am I being over paranoid?

...I feel like I need to get him something like this:

:p

I haven't had the chance to call around yet but plan to. I was just looking at places listed online and got curious about them being able to turn him away because of what THEY think he looks like.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
When asked just say he is a Kelpie mix. That's what your vet ID'd him as. Based on your adoption papers you could say kelpie/lab if you want.

Last time I rented, I brought a letter of reference from my vet, my certs from obedience classes, photos of Barker the Elder in the ring. (She was more focused as we walked up for our "passed" ribbon than she had been throughout the trial!) I was ready to present them but the agents didn't ask to see them.

In the past I've lived in some pretty marginal places to be able to have my dogs. It was worth it.

Be prepared that they might want to meet your dog. Yet, in 15 to 20 years of renting I only had one person meet my dog before I moved in.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See, on another forum I'm a member of (Where a LOT of people have German Shepherds and Malinois) they said they had issues finding places because of their dogs breeds which got me worried.

I've only got two dogs which I don't think will be an issue, I'm sure I can find places that allow two dogs. Zoey is only 15lb and she is a fluffy/adorable/looks like she would be fun to cuddle Pekingese/Pomeranian mix so she doesn't have the "bad dog" issue even though she really is a devil in disguise and takes the label of "bitch" to heart. xD Weight is also an issue but I'm really scared they'll say something about his breed.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
We rented in Charleston and didnt have a problem. Appartments are more difficult and they look more at weight more often than not. The house we rented asked for a picture of Ava for their records, we had to pay $350 non refundable pet deposit too. So keep that in mind as well. We currently are renting in MS and she wasnt an issue.........but there went another $350 non refundable deposit......

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they want to meet him then that would actually make me feel a lot better. LOL! At least they'd see he isn't a bad dog. And while I don't have fancy ribbons I've got plenty of pictures of us doing obedience in the yard? xD Perfect heel with a focus on me, sit/stay from a long distance, sitting at my side, getting into heel position, perfect down/stay/focus with distractions, ect....I've even got videos. :p He isn't a crazy dog who is going to go maul people, he's incredibly obedient and a really good boy and loves people. Worst thing that could happen is he knocks someone over getting too excited about a new "friend".

I guess the worst they can do is turn me down.
I just really want out of here.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got hundreds of pictures on my iPod that I could show. I can print them plenty of his beautiful self too.
I'm prepared for a deposit since I knew pretty much anywhere I go would require one.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
they do, its on the side of the box...lol. Apparently you can make a GSD look like a golden. I would have a hard time believing it with the black coat and all, but ya never know.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The "box" says "Coming Soon: Golden Retriever disguise for German Shepherds".
I guess that's the one that Chance needs. He acts enough like a Golden.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
make up a resume for Chance. If you haven't done any formal obedience classes with a trainer, list what he knows. If you have, get a reference from his trainer. Same from the vet - not just that he is current on his shots, but that he is friendly. If you have a groomer/dog walker/whatever, get a reference from them as well.

Some places go weight limit only and some do breed restrictions. some will let you slide in if you have paperwork from the vet saying it is an XYZ, not a GSD. One place we looked at in FL didn't allow any dogs that were black and tan because that meant it had Rottie in the bloodlines. They also didn't allow any dogs with pointy ears as that meant GSD. (I emailed her pictures of a coon hound and told her she was stupid)

Whatever you do, don't LIE and say "I have a XYZ" That could end you out on the street. Tell them "Chance is a Kelpie mix, but some people mistake him for a GSD" (assuming that they don't allow GSDs) and give them pictures to put in your lease file. That way, no one can come back later and say they didn't know.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
And see if you can find a CGC test and heve Chance tested. Having that paper that says your Kelpie mix is a Canine Good Citizen can go a long way too.

I have not rented in a long time but I always had a 3 ring binder with my dogs pictures, AKC papers, CGC certifactes, vet reference and obedience title certificates. Sold them every time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I was worried about that too when Iwas looking for a place over a year ago. I ended up renting a house and I told them the truth...the landlady said she was afraid of dogs...but don't think she's afraid of Anja and Rorie she met them both

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to get him CGC tested but the test are always held too far away. I want his TDI too but can't get that without the CGC.
No trainer, groomer or dog walker. (Those are all me lol) I've got to take him in for a heartworm test soon anyways so that he can get more prevention, I guess I'll also need to get shots to show he is "current" since his last ones were 1/31/08. (I don't do yearly vaccines) I'll see if the vet will write me up a reference then. I'll also see what it would cost to get him a bath at the groomer because the place I have in mind I'm sure would write me up a reference since they're really nice people.

I'll write up some stuff about him and make a folder with his pictures. (Including plenty with small children, other/small dogs and his training) I'll try to get the vet to write up that he is a Kelpie mix and that he is friendly. What else should I put besides what he knows? I don't have titles or references so it's kind of hard. I've never been able to afford classes or anything like that so I've always done my own training and socializing.

Quote:One place we looked at in FL didn't allow any dogs that were black and tan because that meant it had Rottie in the bloodlines. They also didn't allow any dogs with pointy ears as that meant GSD. (I emailed her pictures of a coon hound and told her she was stupid)
Wow.....

·
2,967 Posts
We have always rented with our dogs. What I have found is that large apartment complexes don't really care what you do with your dog or how well behaved it is. Their dog policies are built around their insurance and their regulations. Chances are that the building manager has no real power in these situations anyway because these complexes are owned by management groups. Or if they do. it's more along the lines of that dog looks like 50lbs to me...

Large complexes that allow your dog will make you pay for it. an expect good sized security deposits, pet fees, or even additional pet rent. But you're by the book and they pretty much leave you in peace.

My best luck for renting has always been through private rentals. People who are renting their condos, townhouses, or homes get to make all their own decisions about their property. So they are more likely to make decisions based on their feelings about you as a renter.

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
maybe california is just really laid back, but although all these things are nice to have... i really havent found them necessary. if a place allows dogs [of your size & breed] - they allow dogs. if they don't, then there is 'good' reason [insurance, etc]. situations where you have to prove & convince - are pretty rare.

i've noticed recently that a couple places said that they'd consider pets, and that the CGC was a plus. these were private parties, not rental companies... as mentioned above - large rental companies are generally going by the books and don't have much leeway themselves.

my current place did not ask breed/size/number or anything... nor did i have to put down a deposit. my place prior had a section on the lease to describe my pets [name, age, color, breed] and they never personally asked anything more... they also waived the deposit. no license info or vaccination records or anything were requested.

when people complain about not being able to find a place... what they often leave out of the equation, are compromises that they arent willing to make. there will be things that you have to give up in most cases... expand your price range, area range, square footage, amenities, etc. if your needs are simple - the more simple the process.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts