German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently share a house with a roommate but it's not working out...so now I'm looking into an apartment by myself. I had no idea it would be this hard to find a complex that is ok with GSDs. There's no way I'm giving up Roxy for a new home. So if anyone knows about place in Orange County, CA let me know :) thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
624 Posts
Try finding a landlord to deal with rather than a property management company. Introduce the dog to the landlord and provide proof you'll be a responsible owner. The landlord may have more flexibility in renting you a place with a GSD than a property management company, especially if its insurance policies ban "dangerous dogs."

Good luck!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
agree with Norman. We've always had to go through a private landlord/owner because property management never allows for a GSD.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Our last house we rented was through a property management company. The manger asked the owner and he liked that we crate trained and were bringing our pup to classes so he allowed us. Our current home is a townhouse in a gate-community-type-thing that does restrict pitties however, no weight limit.

Both places we had to put down a partially non-refundable pet deposit so expect that. Good luck! It's tough but not impossible

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Our last house we rented was through a property management company. The manger asked the owner and he liked that we crate trained and were bringing our pup to classes so he allowed us. Our current home is a townhouse in a gate-community-type-thing that does restrict pitties however, no weight limit.

Both places we had to put down a partially non-refundable pet deposit so expect that. Good luck! It's tough but not impossible

lucky!!!! the last time we went through a property management company that the owner had to approve or deny pets, the company refused to even ask the owner if we were allowed to have the dogs.... needless to say, we found a loophole but I don't want to set a bad example... lol. We were allowed dogs, just not the breed we have. The owner, i'm sure would have allowed them but the management company was unpleasant about everything.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yikes! We must have really lucked out both were perfect locations as well first was a few blocks from the hospital I was working at, got transferred and we moved, and bam this place is down street from the lab I'm at now! -oh the joys of the military life ;)

Another tip I would give the OP is when you are calling places the first thing you should tell them is that you have a one year old gsd and looking for a two bedroom ect. So you get right to the point and not waste any of your time or theirs.

Also and if they do not allow German shepherds ask if they could give you names of places nearby that may allow them -which is how we found this place. Called one place they did not allow but I asked her and she sent me an email list -wicked helpful!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts