German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month into stay at home orders in socal they shut down all parks and dog parks..

I’ve been walking the dogs almost daily now. For at least 35-40 minutes and up to about an hour and half. I usually switch off from long walks to short with a break day in between (for my own sake)

overall they enjoy it and get some exercise from it. I live at the bottom of the hill and by the time I’m back in my apartment after a 2 mile walk they’re tired. Not dog park tired but still stimulated enough from sniffing scents and the walk uphill.

I feel so bad because I know they miss running off leash. And every time we go out for a walk they head to the car thinking we are going to the park. But there isn’t anywhere I’m able to take them off leash.

Anyone else not able to take their dogs to the park or have to think of other ways to entertain their dogs?

I do play hide and seek with them inside by Making them wait and then releasing them after hiding the ball. We will play with the ball inside too and I’ll roll it and play some waiting games but they get pretty bored of it.

I usually do 2 miles round trip one day- up and back down hill. Followed by a nice 35-40 minute unstructured walk inside our apartments the next day. And a break the 3rd day with lots of play inside. It’s a lot of walking for me so I have to take a break after a couple days. I have lupus and it affects my joints so I’m not able to walk for long periods of time back to back to back.

Layla isn’t to affected, she’s a pretty lazy dog anyways so she enjoys her days on the patio. Odin I’m the other hand starts to get a little stir crazy and leashes walks no matter how long just aren’t cutting it for him. And layals getting annoyed but his constant trying to wrestle and rough play

I’m so used to going to the dog park 5-6 days a week and running him tired that I’m not sure what else to do inside the apartment to help fix Odin’s boredom.

We were supposed to be moved into a house by now with a nice yard for them but that’s been put on hold due to COVID.. so this is my currently situation.

even though they are apartment dogs they usually are throughly exercised but we all getting a little cabin fever in this house..

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
My dog went into heat when this quarantine started, so no walks for us for a month! That was not fun.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Are you near a school with a fenced tennis court? Fenced baseball or soccer fields? Our parks are closed to cars driving in, but you can walk in and walk around. If you go early, most people/kids aren't there. Bring your tennis 🎾 or baseball bat and get some practice with them chasing tennis balls 😉.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Have you tried walking on a 20-25 foot lead? That helped a lot for us. I am able to meander at my old guy pace. Pup trots from one interesting spot to the next interesting spot at his own pace. It does take a bit of practice to manage a long lead. After a few weeks, it becomes second nature.

Sadly, I have hit up ALL to the fenced-in areas within several miles of my house. They are all marked no-dogs. Others must have abused the area by not cleaning up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly our walks We take up hill are on the side of a Main Street so I’m a little hesitant to use one, plus there is only one way up and back down and my pups aren’t too keen on strange dogs when leashed so I wouldn’t want to put myself in any situation where they aren’t close enough to me to be able to handle if something were to happen.
Have you tried walking on a 20-25 foot lead? That helped a lot for us. I am able to meander at my old guy pace. Pup trots from one interesting spot to the next interesting spot at his own pace. It does take a bit of practice to manage a long lead. After a few weeks, it becomes second nature.

Sadly, I have hit up ALL to the fenced-in areas within several miles of my house. They are all marked no-dogs. Others must have abused the area by not cleaning up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it seems some dog parks have opened up!

but my husband has just gone on Military orders Where he will be gone for 8 days and then only home for 4 days. So they will get dog park action those day and back to long walks the next.

Although I am finding playing in doors a bit before their walks and having consistent “outside” time on the patio has been helping them a bit more.

and we just invested in some new elk antlers.

any puzzles or games anyone recommends?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts