German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most of you have your own home so it really isn't an issue. But what about the renters out there; how do you deal with apartments having breed restrictions? -- I'm wondering if maybe it's negotiable :confused:
I think it should at least be a 'case-by-case' basis. I mean I have two dogs, one of which looks like a pit bull mix to everyone (even though we don't think he is) and then, of course, the german shepherd. Both are well-behaved, like kids, love other dogs, are not aggressive in any way....so why restrict every dog because of a "reputation"??

So on their list of "breed restrictions" is:
pit bulls
rottweilers
german shepherds
huskies
malamutes
dobermans
chowchows
st. bernard's
great danes
akitas
terriers (staffordshire)
american bull dog
any hybrid or mixed breed of one of the aforementioned breeds

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I live in a 20-floor highrise, the complex has two buildings like this - one dog friendly and the other not. Now in ON, Canada there is no such thing as "no pets allowed" according to the new tentant act, they can disregard your inquiry because of pets but they can not kick you out for having a pet - make sense? LOL

I am lucky and our building does not have any breed restrictions besides Pitts, but that's only because they are not allowed in ON (silly I know, but it's still the law).

I would see if you can obtain a CGC for your pets and see if that helps. Present those while looking at rentals. It may help them in their decision to lift the band?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, CGC is a good idea; I guess that is going to completely depend on when I'll be moving. I do plan on getting her CGC regardless -- at what age can a dog get their CGC?

Oh yeah, there website also says:
We hope you can understand that only breeds of a non-aggressive nature are allowed. Call the office for clarification if needed.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I rent a ~1,000 sq. ft. condo and every condo around here is owned by someone different. It all depends on the landlord, really. Mine doesn't mind pets at all as long as he gets his $100 deposit per animal. So, I have Frag, a foster pup, and a kitten right now. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
haha! been there done that!. last month I posted a post conveying pretty much what u are sayin. in short, we are trying to sell our home, new home still under construction, will be for another month, in the mean time any interim accom. means apptmnts who DO NOT ALLOW AGGRESSIVE BREEDS! gcc or not! so have had to fight tooth and nail to keep these prospective buyers and let them let us lease this house back from them for a month and half. ofcourse paying a ridiculous amt. per day till we are leasing. I couldn't have left her in a pet resort for a month. so i understand your frustration.
sorry have no advise , just feeling your pain!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha! been there done that!. last month I posted a post conveying pretty much what u are sayin. in short, we are trying to sell our home, new home still under construction, will be for another month, in the mean time any interim accom. means apptmnts who DO NOT ALLOW AGGRESSIVE BREEDS! gcc or not! so have had to fight tooth and nail to keep these prospective buyers and let them let us lease this house back from them for a month and half. ofcourse paying a ridiculous amt. per day till we are leasing. I couldn't have left her in a pet resort for a month. so i understand your frustration.
sorry have no advise , just feeling your pain!
And it seems like all of the newer, nicer apartment complexes -- the only ones I would consider living in are also the ones that have the breed restrictions. I feel like I'm being penalized because of the breed of dog I like :(
But the apartment complex I do like is fairly new; and they are definitely not full yet, so I'm hoping maybe they'll lift the restriction in order to rent another apartment. It just seems ridiculous to completely ban these breeds of dogs when there are a lot of responsible dog owners out there.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Your best luck is to try to rent from a smaller company, or an individual. Many times the larger companies will have rules like that and the people working in the office will have no say over things of that matter. Also, some places are limited by what breeds are listed on their insurance.

I was lucky in that when we signed our lease, we rent from a realtor and he let us know what breeds he couldn't allow based on insurance, and let us know that he would wave the normal 35 lb pet limit.

When you work with an individual they have more power to change certain things. Larger companies often don't have that freedom.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Your best luck is to try to rent from a smaller company, or an individual. Many times the larger companies will have rules like that and the people working in the office will have no say over things of that matter. Also, some places are limited by what breeds are listed on their insurance.
I second this. Most apartment complexes will not budge on the breed restrictions per their insurance. However the apartment complex right next to our house seems to allow all sorts of breeds. I regularly see Husky's Pit's and German Shepherds.

So they are out there, just harder to find.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
The reason that most apartment complexes and even many private rentals have breed restrictions is because of their insurance. Insurance companies are worried about the liabilities of certain dog breeds - such as Shepherds or Pit Bulls - that are either considered to be aggressive or that are strong, powerful dogs and therefore so much more likely to do serious damage if they were to bite someone. Since it's due to the insurance, most will not make any exceptions since their business won't allow it.

It is difficult to find an apartment complex that allows German Shepherds, but they are out there. When we lived in northern Virginia (Woodbridge), we lived in an apartment and they did allow German Shepherds. Most other apartments around there did not. The way we found ours was through a Realtor who recommended them.

It is easier to rent from a small company or from a private person. A lot of them will still be hesitant to rent to someone with a big dog, especially a big "aggressive" breed such as a German Shepherd, but can often be swayed in their opinion by bringing the well-behaved dog in for them to meet, or providing references on training and behavior of the dog, such as CGC or TDI certificates, obedience titles, veterinary reference, or even a reference from your previous landlord.

We've never had any trouble finding housing with our dogs, but it takes a little longer and requires a little more effort on your part. Try writing a "resume" for your dog that lists training (with POC for each place you've trained at, if you've taken classes), titles earned, etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello; and sorry your finding it hard to find somewhere to accept you and your furr kids. I live in a three building complex; this company owns about 20 buildings in my state, upon looking for housing, the less desirable the area around here, the better chance of getting my dog in. I moved here in august of 2009, and I was well aware of the breed restrictions, no pits, dobermans, rotts, german shepherds. I also was aware of the deposit of 100.00 refundable, and 25.00 pet rent a month. I contacted my office prior to getting Zaidy and expressed my interest in getting a GSD; they informed me the dog was restricted, but told me to wait until next week so we could sit down and talk it all out. The next week came and we had a meeting, and they not only let her come home, they waived the pet rent and deposit as well, and added her to the lease; they said they were surprised I was honest with them; and didn't try to sneak her in, she's the only GSD allowed in the building, and everyone always asks how... I just smile and walk away. AND this was the building I WANTED to move to... hang in there and be completely honest, some will budge, some won't...
and I forgot to add, I agreed to replace the flooring in the kitchen upon moving out, because the flooring was brand new and her nails and regular wear and tear can cause it to look a little worn, it's a tiny kitchen anyways :) totally worth it!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The apartment complex person wrote me back and said they have no control because of their insurance policy --- but she did let me know that the other brand new apartment complex down the road does allow german shepherds. This was the next place I planned to look. Hopefully their prices are not completely ridiculous.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i wish you luck. I always have trouble finding housing that will accept GSDs but then i also do loopholes and can be pretty sneaky about it too. Zena is a PB GSD but her vet paperwork says she's a smooth Shiloh shep. Riley is a border collie, GSD mix so his vet paperwork says border collie x. Its a matter of what you're comfortable doing to keep your dog. I know most people wont want to play sneak and such. Good luck and i hope everything works out for you!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It was nice of them to refer you somewhere.

Crossing my fingers for you that it is affordable and avaliable!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i wish you luck. I always have trouble finding housing that will accept GSDs but then i also do loopholes and can be pretty sneaky about it too. Zena is a PB GSD but her vet paperwork says she's a smooth Shiloh shep. Riley is a border collie, GSD mix so his vet paperwork says border collie x. Its a matter of what you're comfortable doing to keep your dog. I know most people wont want to play sneak and such. Good luck and i hope everything works out for you!
Well -- I think it'd be difficult to hide what she is, everyone automatically says "aww..I've never seen a German Shepherd puppy before, she looks exactly like a full-grown shepherd, just smaller" LOL
With Sobacca, he looks like a pit bull mix -- but even on our vet records I think it says Lab mix, so I just tell people that; and when I moved to an apartment complex a couple years ago that's what I told them. But that's easier since we honestly have no idea what is in him.

I'm not too worried about it -- I'll find a place that accepts them. But I am pretty picky about where I live, that's probably more the problem. Good thing I have plenty of time to figure that part of it out.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Well -- I think it'd be difficult to hide what she is, everyone automatically says "aww..I've never seen a German Shepherd puppy before, she looks exactly like a full-grown shepherd, just smaller" LOL
With Sobacca, he looks like a pit bull mix -- but even on our vet records I think it says Lab mix, so I just tell people that; and when I moved to an apartment complex a couple years ago that's what I told them. But that's easier since we honestly have no idea what is in him.

I'm not too worried about it -- I'll find a place that accepts them. But I am pretty picky about where I live, that's probably more the problem. Good thing I have plenty of time to figure that part of it out.

lol i understand. I did a lot of breed research before even considering putting a different breed on the paperwork. I'm picky about where i live too. Most everyone is. There is a breed in russia that originated from the GSD but its better suited for those harsh winters, little thicker, like working lines and looks exactly like a GSD. Its called the East European Shepherd. They're extremely rare in the states so most vets wont even have the breed as an option on their list and will look at you like a one eyed monster is in front of them. lol. But then i found out that shiloh shepherds come in the smooth coat as well and look like GSDs so we went with that. Worked for us. But living in base housing currenly, the only breed restrictions at this base are rotties and pitts.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol i understand. I did a lot of breed research before even considering putting a different breed on the paperwork. I'm picky about where i live too. Most everyone is. There is a breed in russia that originated from the GSD but its better suited for those harsh winters, little thicker, like working lines and looks exactly like a GSD. Its called the East European Shepherd. They're extremely rare in the states so most vets wont even have the breed as an option on their list and will look at you like a one eyed monster is in front of them. lol. But then i found out that shiloh shepherds come in the smooth coat as well and look like GSDs so we went with that. Worked for us. But living in base housing currenly, the only breed restrictions at this base are rotties and pitts.
Well I guess if worst comes to worst and I absolutely cannot find a place I want to live I could always do that! That is a pretty genius idea though. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
here are a couple of links for you just in case. I can probably find a few pictures easily enough too.

Shiloh Shepherd Information and Pictures, Shiloh Shepherds, Shiloh Shepherd Dog, Shiloh Shepherd Dogs

http://dogbreedinfo.com/easteuropeanshepherd.htm

I've had people on here actually get mad at me for being what they consider dishonest. My thinking is its not dishonesty. A lot of breeds are so similar who's say otherwise? Anyone really having an issue with it even after looking at current vet paperwork that says the breed on it, its extremely unlikely they'll call in a breed expert. And the case with GSDs is some are above or below the breed standard is the case with other breeds. Zena was adopted. For all i know, she really is a shiloh and the humane society was wrong on her breed (but they usually are with tons of animals!). Riley was an owner surrender (for barking too much!) and his paperwork at adoption is BC/ GSD mix. As for my other two, Shelby can pass as a smaller shiloh but her coloring is classic black and tan and Shasta is a sable and could easily pass as shiloh of east european shepherd. like i said, its all a matter of what you're comfortable doing. If the straight forward route doesnt work, i'm pretty good at finding a different route! Let us know how things work out!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
here are a couple of links for you just in case. I can probably find a few pictures easily enough too.

Shiloh Shepherd Information and Pictures, Shiloh Shepherds, Shiloh Shepherd Dog, Shiloh Shepherd Dogs

East European Shepherd Information and Pictures

I've had people on here actually get mad at me for being what they consider dishonest. My thinking is its not dishonesty. A lot of breeds are so similar who's say otherwise? Anyone really having an issue with it even after looking at current vet paperwork that says the breed on it, its extremely unlikely they'll call in a breed expert. And the case with GSDs is some are above or below the breed standard is the case with other breeds. Zena was adopted. For all i know, she really is a shiloh and the humane society was wrong on her breed (but they usually are with tons of animals!). Riley was an owner surrender (for barking too much!) and his paperwork at adoption is BC/ GSD mix. As for my other two, Shelby can pass as a smaller shiloh but her coloring is classic black and tan and Shasta is a sable and could easily pass as shiloh of east european shepherd. like i said, its all a matter of what you're comfortable doing. If the straight forward route doesnt work, i'm pretty good at finding a different route! Let us know how things work out!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wish all places to rent were as nice as where I'm living regarding pets. There's absolutely nothing in our renters' agreement about pets, and our landlord keeps trying to give us dogs. He's a really laid back guy, the people that rented before us had pits and rotties.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I wish all places to rent were as nice as where I'm living regarding pets. There's absolutely nothing in our renters' agreement about pets, and our landlord keeps trying to give us dogs. He's a really laid back guy, the people that rented before us had pits and rotties.

i wish more places were that cool. I agree with a previous response that it should be a case by case basis not breed basis. I also dont agree with weight restrictions! I mean seriously! What if someone wants a dog and they can have a dog, but doesnt want a little yippy yap? I sure never want a yippy yap. I like actual sized dogs! No offense to those who do have yippy yaps. Just my preference is something with an actual sized bark instead of a car alarm!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts