German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We take Chevy (7 months) almost anywhere that we can such as parks, classic car shows, different stores, outdoor community events, etc. He is great, is happy and loves the attention he gets. But if we go to the vet, it's a whole 'nother story.

Chevy gets nervous, has done that low-growl before, urinated when the techs and the vet touch him for any reason, won't even take a treat from the gals at the desk...he just plain doesn't like the vet
or anyone in it.

It is not like it's a "new" place either. We go there quite often for weight checks (which he is fine with) and have been doing so ever since he was 8 weeks old. After the weight check, I give him a treat seeing as it's something positive. We usually play or go for a walk prior to the visit so he's a little worn out.

Is there any possible way to break him of this fear? I really feel bad because he is such a great and friendly dog, everywhere except at the vet office.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Do you ever just go to the vet's office and go in and sit down give your pup some treats and leave.

When my pups were young I was always dragging them in the Vet's office. Some times we wwould step on the scale, some times if the Tech's weren't super busy they would come out to say hello.

None of my dogs mind going to the Vet's office, as a matter of fact when I take Lakota all he wants to do is go in the back to say Hi to all the girls who hug on him and love on him and OOhhh and AAhhh over him, he is such a ham.

I never wanted my dogs to think that walking in that building always wnet they were going to get poked and prodded.

Val

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
Onyx hates the vet too, I have to muzzle her. Same behavoir as Chevy, growl , urination, and just plain fear. I took her there in Feb for ear swab, rabies shot and the vet would'nt even touch her except to give a quick stab of rabies vacc. after she barked, growled, she was afraid of her, and I had her muzzled! I did the swab and got meds, left...Kacie was with us as both were due for shots. I won't use that particular vet again at the clinic.
The past two visits, I requested the most gentle female vet and she sat on the floor and just slowly, quietly talked to Onyx, then started a TTouch type of massage on her body and gave treats. I did the ear swab and there was nothing the vet did to her that was negative.
She spent alot of time with her and by the end of the 2nd visit(only ear re-check) Onyx was much better. She was always good at the vet til I had her spayed at 6 mos. then it was very hard on her, makes me wonder what happened that day...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
OMG, I don't even want to think about taking Elle to the vet, Emma, she does fine, she believes everyone there just loves her, and they do, so no real problems with her, matter of fact she walks around like she owns the place, it's really cute......But then there is Elle, my sweet darling Elle...She goes crazy there, at first she's confident and wagging around, doing great, UNTIL, the vet enters the room, then she most of the time pees and then falls over kicking and squilling like someone is trying to kill her, that's before anyone even touches her...Then come showing her teeth time, luckily our Vet is not scared or intimidated by the breed, but takes full control in a friendly manner, that's why I keep our vet, because they really know how to handle the larger breeds, and always gives them treats before and after their visits (small treats, but they are treats).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts