German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently feeding Pinnacle Duck, which my dogs do well on. It has 360ish calories per cup. I am feeding each of them about 2,000 calories per day and it goes through a bag in about 12 days.

There are other foods that cost about the same, or less Like Blue Buffalo which contain around 580 calories per cup, therefore I would think I would feed much less of it and therefore be able to stretch a bag further.

Is there anything else I should take into consideration? I am not willing to step down to a lower grade bag of food to save a buck, but if one bag of equal quality food will go further, why not.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
There is nothing wrong with trying to save money on another food with the same nutritional value.

It's up to your dog whether or not that savings is justified.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
With a higher calorie food, you'd feed less. That's the only difference, assuming that both foods are of comparable quality. If your dogs are currently getting around 2000 calories a day and are in optimal condition at that amount, they would need around 3-1/2 cups (3.45) of the Blue Buffalo to get the same amount of calories.

I really don't pay attention to how many calories my dogs eat each day, I feed to their condition - I run my hand down their sides frequently, and adjust the quantity up or down if they're feeling a little ribby, or a bit too thick. But when switching between foods, I do look at the kcals per cup of each food, and use that to calculate how much of the new food to give for the same amount of daily calories.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
Well, what I meant was are there any negatives feeding a high calorie food, if you adjust the proportions due to it?
No. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With a higher calorie food, you'd feed less. That's the only difference, assuming that both foods are of comparable quality. If your dogs are currently getting around 2000 calories a day and are in optimal condition at that amount, they would need around 3-1/2 cups (3.45) of the Blue Buffalo to get the same amount of calories.

I really don't pay attention to how many calories my dogs eat each day, I feed to their condition - I run my hand down their sides frequently, and adjust the quantity up or down if they're feeling a little ribby, or a bit too thick. But when switching between foods, I do look at the kcals per cup of each food, and use that to calculate how much of the new food to give for the same amount of daily calories.
With my 5 year old I have always just filled up his bowl and he has always ate the perfect amount to maintain his weight, which came out to about 2k calories. He has always been very lean, perhaps too lean until recently when his drive finally calmed down.

Now that we have a second pup I have noticed he's eating much more, which I guess I should had anticipated. He's eating his food before the pup takes it. That's mostly another subject, but I probably am not going to be as lucky with this pup not being a glutton like his big brother, and will have to measure their food.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
There are lots of reasons why it's better to feed regular meals rather than free feed, although some people do have dogs like yours that self regulate and will only eat as much as they need. Still, free feeding ONE dog is not the same as free feeding TWO dogs, as you've discovered, so it's probably a good idea to transition both of them over to regular meals.

I've never had a dog that wouldn't have eaten themselves into oblivion given the opportunity, and I have to close the garage pen door between Halo and Keefer or she'll dive into his bowl (he LETS her, lol!) and end up eating both their meals, so free feeding has never been an option for me. But with twice daily measured meals, I know how much each of them is eating, so if I do need to make adjustments that's easily done, I use mealtimes as training opportunities, especially with a new puppy, and if you know when they're eating it's easier to predict when they'll need to potty, which can a plus for housebreaking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I tried that with Axel. He starved. He didn't eat for 2 weeks and lost 10 pounds. The guy just doesn't care much about food.

Hopefully now though he will not be an ass about it now that he feels the pup might eat it he doesn't haha.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts