German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="color: #6600CC">(this is what duke wants to do when we are outside) Chase Butterflies LOL!

I have contacted a private trainer for Duke, and the classes are going to be $25.00 a class which I think is reasonable. Do you? I don't know when we are going to start yet I just talked to her husband this morning and waiting on her call back.

Before I do this, is there anything special that I need to know at all about the training process? And also I was wondering how long does a private trainer usually work with us?

Before she calls I need to know if there is any certain questions that I need to ask her about the training or process of the training. If there is any info that anyone can give me as to what to ask her, I would greatly appriciate it!

Thanks alot

Stacey</span>

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
Stacy,
What I would want to know is what her philosophy is for training.
I would ask her what equipment she wants you to have when you first meet.
I would ask if there were books or tapes she would recommend.

25$ a session for private lessons (I think that's what you are talking about instead of group classes) sounds pretty reasonable. Ask her about the length of the sessions. (I would expect them to be short to start with & then to lengthen. An hour's private lesson is a very long time for a young dog. - for any dog really.)

You might also ask to observe a class if she is doing group classes, too.

Based on her answers to these questions, I'd evaluate the trainer and decide what I wanted to do.

OK that's theory. Reality I've faced - trainers that do not return calls, trainers that get put off by my questions, observing a class only to find that the class was then taught by someone else (one woman injured herself seriously) and there were too many dogs in the class to work effectively and the trainer who "survived" and I did not agree on methods. I've also worked in a group class and used my own techniques with my own dogs and ignored the trainer's methods. I've found ways to make different situations work for me with the background of two trainers that I truly respect. Good heavens I am old and crabby!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL (about the old and crabby) I liked that! I appriciate your reply on this, she hasnt called back yet but her husband said that she would be at the kennel club all day and that she would return my call later this afternoon (so we will see).

Yes it is private lessons, one on one with no one else. I wanted to get him into the group class so he could interact with other people/dogs but they said that there classes are going to end in a couple of days and would not start back up until the spring and I just cant possibly wait that long for this.

He is just getting out of hand so bad. The kennel club that I was going to put him in was highly recommended by many and said they are highly respected. This lady works at that same kennel club for when I called the first lady she is the one that recommended this lady.

Hopefully she will be a good person to work with him! If you don't mind before I make any decision with her I would like to run it by you on here and see what you think about all of her answers to the questions that you have provided. I do NOT know the first thing about any of this! I am totally knew at it but am very igore and goal oriented to get this done! i can't afford the best but I want the next best thing for him and my family!

I really do appriciate your reply and I will repsot after I have talked with her...

Thanks again

Stacey

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
OK Stacy,
Take a look at the training section - go over the old threads and see what you think about training methods. Try some books (I am a big fan of positive training any more) or get some DVDs at the library and watch different styles. Pat Miller, Sheila Booth are a couple that stress positive approaches; Cesar Milan uses more traditional compulsion techniques. Ian Dunbar has some tapes out too. Godfreid Deldei's tapes are impressive and he talks a lot about motivation & drive. (If I remember right. I haven't looked at them in a long long time.)
The books I would go with now (I got them when my dogs were 5 & 7!) are Sheila Booth's purely positive training: companion to competition and Bill Campbell's the new better behavior for dogs.

I'm sure we'd all be happy to give you our opinion on the trainer's answers -- but beware! We are an opinionated lot & we disagree over technique a lot!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot for that reply again! unfortantly shes done broke one rule tonight! SHE NEVER CALLED BACK!! So I guess that means she would be out right? Of course I understand if something has happend to where she couldnt call back. Im a pretty easy going person.

Thanks for all of the great info in the last reply, I will definitly be going to the library tomorrow. I have books that I have to return anyway so that would be a great day to do it! I will go to the thread in a few mins. and check out some of those posts and replys.

As far as being opinionated and disagreeing it doesnt bother me, for one what I would do is read all of the replys (if there was any) and then take it to heart as to what I should do. I have to learn somewhere huh? I am very stubborn myself LOL! Maybe thats where Duke gets it (hes been around me to long)! My husband always tells Duke (even though hes male) that there is only one B---- of the house! As long as they all know it thats all that matters lol!

Anyway I really do appriciate all your help middleofnowhere! You have helped already more than you know! I think one thing that doesnt help out is the fact that my husband and I have two very different ways of wanting to train and that is just confussing for Duke and myself! I have told him today that we are going to start training somewhere weather it be with this lady or someone else, we are going to do it and we have to do it together or Its not going to work.

I will let you know if I hear anything back from her, and I hope to hear more of your great answers! Thanks

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
Go ahead and call her. And call again. I know it's a pia but... I am surprised that no one else has weighed in on this. It is a long weekend. Maybe more will come around tomorrow or Tuesday.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k. i will call her in a few mins. to see if i can get a holt of her. yea i know there has been alot to look at it but no one has replied but you and i really appriciate that! this is very important to me, because i dont want my dog to be messed up.

But weather anyone replies or not you have already helped me alot with this!!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Don't have much to add to middleofnowhere's advice so far except have a little patience. There may be more once you get some answers (and a gut feel) from the trainer.

And I think the price is great for a private trainer - assuming everything else falls into place. that is not much higher that group sessions out here.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Bring an open mind and a willingness to listen, learn, and practice at home. Trust your instinct and if there is something that scares you, kindly ask for an explanation first before you decide if something is really wrong. Please do not be afraid to ask for more details so you better understand what is being taught.

My trainer is very, very busy and sometimes things can get lost. It happens, keep trying to contact but if it's been a few tries without a callback, that's not very good unless the trainer finally gets back to you saying an emergency arose.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Any chance you can just go and sit in on one of the group classes before they end for the year? This will give you a good idea of how she trains.

Make sure you tell the trainer what YOUR goals are. Are there specific behaviors you want to eliminate or are you just doing basic obedience.

Private lessons usually run between 30 - 60 minutes.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<span style="color: #FF0000">middleofnowhere</span>, I would like to say thanks alot for all of your help! You don't know how much it's appriciated! I have had this post here for a little while now, and I have had 139 views and only 10 replies which is counting mine also. I know that everyone is busy though! And also a big thanks to the others that have now replied!

Anyway this is really important to me because I don't want my dog messed up by someone that doesn't know what there doing! And I don't know enough to know what I'm doing so he may already be messed up LoL! I hope not

Well now to the good part, the trainer called back a couple of days ago but when I tried to get on here to let you know what she said my computer would not load the site. So finally tonight it's working. I talked to her for a little while and asked her some questions, our first class is going to be on Sat. but our regular classes will not start until the first week of Nov. because of personal problems!

I think she sounds like she knows what she's doing and I'm excited to start working with her. She is going to see us on Sat. so she can evaluate how Duke and I work together. And give me some things to work on between now and then with him.

She asked me what my main problem was at this time and I told her it was when we are outside and he will not come to me off leash. Since I'm not a 24/7 leash type of person she is going to start with that and she said we would train on leash only to train off leash! So I liked that alot.

She also said she does not train by yelling/hitting/beating on the dog and I told her we should get along wonderful then because aint NOBODY going to hit/yell/beat my dog period! <span style="color: #FF0000">middleofnowhere</span> she also said that the lesson would be between an hour or an hour and a half. I don't know if thats the first lesson (to evaluate) or if thats going to be all the time (I will definitly ask her that on sat.).

She said that we will start with the basics (which he knows all of those except come) and then she said a few more things and I can't remember for the life of me but I will find out on sat. and let you know! Other than that, thats it for now! I'M SO EXCITED, I CAN'T WAIT TO START THIS PROCESS WITH MY SMART BOY!!!

Oh yea I also told her if anyway possible after the first things we had to start with and get all of that over with I want to get him some tracking going on, and she said she would fix me up with that also!

Duke has finally started eating his pinnacle dog food, had his second shot for that mange crap today, and he loves the food alot! Not the shot so much though
LoL (wasnt funny to him though)! Again everyone thank you all alot for everything! As I said this is so important to me!

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
Great! I look forward to hearing how the class went. A kennel club I belonged to did a one day intense obedience class one time. I didn't think it would work very well but it did. The people and the dogs all came away with a number of "tools". So an hour and a half may work just fine.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i hate to say it but the class didnt happen this weekend. but we are scheduled for next sat. it wasnt anything on the trainers part, but on my behalf. I had doubled booked myself, but i made darn sure that next weekend its going to happen (good Lord willing). I'm so excited to start, i just cant wait!

I just hope that I CAN DO IT! im not worried about him, its me im worried about. Im affraid im not going to know how to do it and im going to mess him up more than anything! in other words im nervous!!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote: its me im worried about. Im affraid im not going to know how to do it and im going to mess him up more than anything! in other words im nervous!!
We ALL have the same feelings when going to class! But the point of class is learning to do it right so we do better and the dogs get a chance to learn the best way possible. The immediate feedback and directions for the human handler PREVENT all the messing up that we unintentionally do at home without the instruction.

Just go and have fun. Realize that you are there to learn AND HAVE FUN, cause that way the classes will be good for you and your dog.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
Originally Posted By: momtoduke.... Im affraid im not going to know how to do it and im going to mess him up more than anything! ....
If I had known then (more years ago than I care to discuss when I got my first dog as an adult) what I know now, my dogs would have benefitted greatly. Each dog that has shared my home has taught me a great deal about dogs and how they learn and my role with them. That is the legacy they pass along to the next dog. If I live to be 180 I might get it all down right! I must admit I was never circumspect enough to worry about me screwing up. (I just plowed ahead & yes, screwed up now and again...)

I fantasize that there is a parallel universe out there where the critters on the bbs are dogs. They are posting back and forth about training us not to pull, how stupid/hardheaded/stuborn we are! And what "hard" humans they have! Since I am blind to the dogs training classes (maybe they don't take us?), I have to go to ones conducted by humans...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel that all animals are worth giving a 100% to, and we have had several dogs in our life. some to live until almost 13 and now still have a 13 year old and others passing way before there time but we have always worked with them at home ourselves and had great success with them all.

However, even though I love them all with all of my heart, i just feel that duke (all gsd's) have so much potential and most definitly does not need to be wasted! They are so beautiful and so smart and im definitly going to give him the oppertunity to express that 100%!! i personally am a convert to gsd's from here on out! I dont think i will ever have any other dog but a gsd! I just want him and me to learn the best we can and learn it all together and most definitly learn it right!!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
You have gotten good advice, sorry I haven't had time to reply.

When I was teaching classes the first thing I always worked on was communication. That means that the owner is giving clear voice or hand signals and that the dog is able to learn how to respond appropriately. I find some mistakes by owners is that they aren't consistent with commands, one time they will say sit and maybe the next time sit down. So make sure you are not giving mixed verbal commands. Next thing we look at is voice and posture. Voice tone, I have one female that if I give a command in an asking voice she won't listen, if I give her the same word with the command voice she complies. So I know which dogs I can be a little easier on and which ones are like my Cheyenne who you don't ask her to do any thing you tell her. Then watch your body language, are you standing tall, proud and confident or are you slouching a little and OH geeze I hope my dog listens to me anxious type posture. Dogs are visual and they will pick that stuff up right away.

I like positive approach to training, I have actually compulsion in the past and I like the results I get using the positive methods. Some dogs can handle the compulsion type training because they are hard dogs but the majority of dogs will respond much better to positive ways.

I always looked at training as teaching owners how to communicate with their dogs. So be open minded but if you don't understand something ask the trainer to explain better. If you get frustrated with something that you and your dog are struggling with you might want to ask the trainer to take your dog and watch her. If I saw one of my clients and dog struggling with some thing I would ask them if they felt comfortable with me taking their dog and showing the dog how to do it and told them to really watch me, not their dog.

Now relax and have fun.

Val

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok thanks for the advice Val, it all sounds good and i hope i can follow it! I think when im giving commands im pretty stern about it (i seem to be anyway). He has no problems doing anything except coming to me when I call him. If we are in the house he will do what ever I ask. If we are outside and off leash forget it, he doesnt want to do anything! with or without treats! I will definitly take all of the advice that I have gotten from everyone here with me to the trainer on sat.

Alot of GREAT ADVICE! And I really appriciate it!

Also when we are on leash he will drag me literally across the yard and anywhere he can drag me. he does not walk with me he walks in front of me, and will not stop when i tell him to. its so stange how he will do anything and everything in the house but not the first thing outside.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Originally Posted By: momtodukeits so stange how he will do anything and everything in the house but not the first thing outside.
Have you TRAINED him outside?

Seriously, dogs do not generalize well. Teaching a dog to Sit inside the house doesn't mean they will automatically know what Sit means when they are outside.

You need to train in MANY different locations and under varying levels of distraction before you can expect the dog to know that Sit means Sit no matter what.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts