German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing this to see if anyone has had a cat with this issue?

I am concerned about my 20 year Oriental Shorthair, Ares. He has some of the symptoms, and tonight he seems abit not himself.

I am curious as to when you noticed the signs, and what course of action you took.

I am also curious as to if your cat had to be put to sleep, what the time from was from your first symptoms, to this
(how quick this disease works

I follow the pet commandments, and I don't ever want to prolong suffering for my own selfishness

I know this can be deadly for geriatric cats. His sister died of Cardiomyapothy, he also has a heart murmur (lower grade).

Thank you

Note: I read info off the net, I just wanted to know your personal way of how you dealt with it (Don't want to bring up bad memories), so if you can't go into detail, I understand

·
Registered
3,514 Posts

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Jack Sorry I cant help with the cat question but Allie G had a sick cat recently and I know there was a thread about it. Hope you can get it figured out quickly!

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Anyones cat have Renal failure/Kidney disease/

Thank you Kendra and Danielle, appreciate the link, info, etc

Off to do some reading.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts

Jack anything for a friend, you know that. (really didnt do much though lol)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hi Jack,

Cleo has CRF and she's doing really well. I started Sub-Q fluids at home and it made all of the difference in the world.

When was the last time you had bloodwork done? What were the results at that time? Other things like diabetes and thyroid problems can produce similar symptoms so I would head into the vet tomorrow and get bloodwork done so that you know for sure what's going on and can start treating it. If it's CRF it really is manageable but you don't want to let your kitty crash.

This is the best resource on line: http://www.felinecrf.org/

Once you get the official diagnosis you should join the crf group on yahoo. I've learned a lot there.

Hugs to you and your kitty!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My cat Sylvia had kidney disease. We were lucky as we caught it early. She was getting routine bloodwork before a dental. When we were waiting for the bloodwork results so we could schedule the dental, the vet's office called and told us to come in so they could show us how to give her fluids. At first she was getting fluids twice a day. The vet wanted to put her on Science Diet k/d but she did not like it (very picky) and I didn't like the ingredients. I asked the vet if I could put her on a low protein/phosphorus food instead and he said that was fine. I ended up switching her to Wellness Lite (I am pretty sure this is no longer available under that name) and all her bloodwork actually went back to normal! We were able to slowly decrease the fluids to a few times per week. After switching her food her bloodwork stayed at or near normal for most of the time and we were able to manage her CRF with mostly just fluids and once in a while some pepcid and regular bloodwork. She passed away about two years after she was diagnosed with kidney disease, from metastatized mammary cancer (she had tumors removed twice IIRC but then it spread.)

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

My guy Badger is 19 1/2 yrs old and was diagnosed with the beginning of kidney desease two yrs ago. We have had a 'wellness' test(blood panel) done every year and they recommend it to be done every six months so that they can monitor his progress.

Badger is still only in the very early stages so he hasn't needed medication yet. He is on the low protien perscription diet canned cat food. We did try the dry kibble they have but it must taste like cardboard to him. So we opted to stick to the canned food.

We were told that he has to keep well hydrated to keep his kidneys in good working order and the canned food certainly helps in that respect.

There are medications that your guy could go on if the desease is more advanced but it would depend on the test results.

Badger doesn't act like there is anything wrong with him. Other then he suffers from an arthritic shoulder from an old injury he got when he fell out of the loft of the garage when he was young that has come back to haunt him.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thank you very much for all the replies, your info and stories

I was just downstairs feeding Ares again, he had thrown up his late night dinner, so I was feeding him all moist. He eats both kibble and moist (kibble is left out all day), and moist is fed 2x a day to him.

He drank alot of water tonight, and he ate mostly the liquid part of the food, but that at least is good. He also ate some more kibble as well.

I just got a job at a vets office, so I get 50% off, so that really helps.

I will keep you posted as to what I find out. I had planned on a blood panel, I had one done last year (had his teeth cleaned), did great under anesthesia). His blood panel was fine at the time.

My thoughts were something like Renal or diabetes. I won't jump the gun just yet, but symptoms don't lie.

Thanks again, I am going to find Ares and take him to bed

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

Jack,

The throwing up would suggest CRF. Cats with crf produce a lot of stomach acid. I am using slippery elm for Cleo twice a day and that has really helped a lot.

You should definitely have him on 100% canned food, if possible. They used to advise you to put your cat (or dog) on a low protein diet but now they know that it's not the protein that matters it's the phosphorous. In fact senior cats need more and higher quality protein.

Let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts

Jack, big hugs to you and sweetie Ares. Orientals are so very elegant. I am hoping that his bloodwork comes back with better results than you expect.

Chunkly, my last cat, got CRF. When the vet discovered his BUN and Creatnine were heading in a poor direction, I fed him whatever he would eat-- even the crappy brands. It isn't the best, but he at least would eat.

I started home fluids and did them 2 times per week. I was positive that it would be too hard for me to do! And, I was even more scared to try to do this at home when the tech showed me how.
Know what? It was NOT hard! After the 3rd time at home, it was easy. Just plopped Chunkly up on the kitchen counter, fluids bag was hanging from an overhead kitchen cupboard, and away we went! After each session, he got a snack and quiet time for himself before our next cuddlefest.

CRF is scary. The vomiting, as Ruth says, benefits from slippery elm, maybe nux vomica. But as worrisome as CRF feels, Chunkly and I were together many months, happy, content, enjoying life. In fact, he actually became a bit more active and playful once I started giving him the fluids! My vet said that there is no way to know how long kidneys will hold out once CRF starts, it can be a short or long time. We all just live with our cats, enjoy them, and hope for the "long time!" I know a friend who has had her cat on fluids for over a year, and she is doing super right now.

Hang in there Jack.
Good vibes are being sent for Ares, that good results come from his bloodwork!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts

I don't have advice. I just wanted to tell you that Ares is so lucky to have you and send positive thoughts and prayers your way

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thank you Ruth and Patti for the detailed info

Thank you Simona, your words always keep me strong

I have an appointment this morning at 11 a.m. I will keep you all posted.

Ruth, some of the stuff you mentioned my friend used for his diabetic cat. At least something sounds familiar.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts

Paws crossed for Ares, awaiting your update! Hang in there Jack. Good vibes are being sent for Ares!

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Originally Posted By: BrightelfPaws crossed for Ares, awaiting your update! Hang in there Jack. Good vibes are being sent for Ares!
Thanks Patti

·
Registered
11,280 Posts

So sorry Jack hope all goes well
fingers and paws are crossed for you

·
Registered
808 Posts

Does anyone know what the ideal phosphorous level/amount should be?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

My 21 yr old Deke also has CRF. He just had his 6 mth bloodwork done and the numbers are slightly worse. His kidneys are ever so slowly failing. He has lost 2 lbs in 6 months and that worries us more than the kidneys right now so we give him anything and everything he wants to eat. I also do fluids at home a couple times a week and it does make a difference in the way he feels.

I agree with Ruth....try getting your kitty onto canned instead of dry. According to the Feline Future website, if a cat eats 1 cup of dry per day, he would need to drink 8 oz of water just to keep hydrated! Check out article: Feline Future "The Dry Cat Food Crisis"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts