German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Banned
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever been asked if you're dog is a mix? My Shepherd Chase is a plush fur and people ask Is he a long haired or German Shepherd mix? And I say no he is a plush fur and he is pure German Shepherd. His dad was a plush fur and mom was a short hair. Here is a pic of Chase, his dad (Red plush laying on grass) and mom (on leash)

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a 5 month old black and red long haired shepherd, and she looks a lot like yours. Your dog definitely looks like a purebred to me and I'm surprised anyone would think otherwise. No one has ever asked if mine is a mix. Beautiful dog you have!

·
Banned
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 5 month old black and red long haired shepherd, and she looks a lot like yours. Your dog definitely looks like a purebred to me and I'm surprised anyone would think otherwise. No one has ever asked if mine is a mix. Beautiful dog you have!
Thanks Chase is long hair tho he is plush

·
Banned
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chase isn't long hair tho he is plush

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
People all think they know GSDs because their sister-in-law's boyfriend's aunt used to raise them. These are usually the people who will argue with you about whether or not your dog is what you claim he is.

Other people, are either not dog people or are not shepherd people and they just don't know the many lines, colors, coat lengths the breed can be.

And then you have people like me, who focus on one breed, and other breeds kind of melt together so that I have trouble recognizing them. I mean, a West Heighland White Terrier Owner would probably be highly offended if I asked them if it was one of those Baloney dogs. But I don't know the differences, and really, I don't care to know. You can tell me, but it will go in one ear and out the other. So I generally am not offended if people lump tervs and malinois and dutchies and sheps and all those big look alikes -- kings, shilohs, and the like together, and don't know a chow from a GSD.

You can educate them, or get offended, or have fun with them, but in the end, they still probably won't recognize every GSD as a GSD, and everything not a GSD as not a GSD.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Denali (RIP), my previous white shepherd was an anomaly in many ways. He had what they called a plush coat. The hair was as long, maybe slightly longer than a stock coat but he had what I would describe as almost a double undercoat. It was so thick you had to really work your fingers in just to be able to touch his skin. He was also around 33 inches high at the shoulder and weighed 140 lbs. Not fat, just one big dog.

Consequently people thought he was an albino Great Dane or an albino something else. His trainer thought he was crossed with a Clydesdale. His groomer thought he was crossed with an ultra plush shag carpet.

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
Denali (RIP), my previous white shepherd was an anomaly in many ways. He had what they called a plush coat. The hair was as long, maybe slightly longer than a stock coat but he had what I would describe as almost a double undercoat. It was so thick you had to really work your fingers in just to be able to touch his skin. He was also around 33 inches high at the shoulder and weighed 140 lbs. Not fat, just one big dog.

Consequently people thought he was an albino Great Dane or an albino something else. His trainer thought he was crossed with a Clydesdale. His groomer thought he was crossed with an ultra plush shag carpet.
Lol!! Samson has a stock coat but a super dense undercoat like your description.He looks overweight in the winter but it's just all that thick padding:)

·
Banned
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

33 inches tall whoa that's one big Shepherd and white Shepherds are rare too

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Chasegsdlove, your pup is a long coated gsd ("longhaired", "coatie", "long stock coat", LHGSD, etc). both of his parents are stock coats, yes his dad is a plush version but still a stock coat. they are carriers of the long coat gene which is how your beautiful pup was produced but he is no doubt a long coat - the hairs in and around his ears are a dead give away..... long coats vary in the degree of adult coat that they end up with. as he grows, so will his hair, predominately on his chest, legs, tail, feet. some long coats with really thick/dense undercoats may still be called plush but that is a descriptive term, not a genetic one and Chase is too young to tell. expect his adult coat closer to 18months.

your breeder should be able to confirm all of this for you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It happens all the time with my long-stock coat. She has been mistaken for a shiloh or a Belgium shepherd since she was a baby. Not many people have seen a coated shepherd. I just laugh it off and just educate on the different coats of the gsd.
My new boy is a black sable with an extremely thick under coat and now I deal with the question, is he a wolf? German shepherds come in several coats types and color and unless it is a standard black and tan don't expect average pet owner to be familiar with the breed differences.

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So funny!!!!

BTW - white is NOT "rare" - there are breeders who intentionally breed and have programs for whites...."rare" is a marketing term for disqualifying colors...AKC and some European allow registration and these colors have fans - I think the solid blue is a gorgeous dog - one on here someone imported from Holland....but still the "blueprint" of the breed - the standard which defines the breed - disallows certain colors....they are not "rare"

Lee

·
Registered
252 Posts
Actually white GSD's are rare but only in the sense that only about 10% of the GSD's registered with AKC are white, or so I have been told. That means 90% are not white. But you are correct that there are breeders who only raise white GSD's. So they can be obtained, just not as easily as other colors. Don't know about the % registration of blues and livers, which could be even smaller.

And yes, whites and other non conforming colors cannot be shown for AKC conformation. There are some differing versions given for the lack of recognition of whites, whether it has to do with bad genes (myth), Hitler, the SV or SS it doesn't matter because it has never been corrected. Didn't Hitler and the SS try the same thing with people too in WII? It also doesn't matter because of the recognition of the Berger Blanc Suisse (BBS) by the FCI and others. AKC wants to register them for the money not because they do anything for them. And actually I think its better for the whites if the AKC and SV stay as far away from them as possible.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
perhaps uncommon would be a better word Palydyn, but they certainly aren't rare.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've never considered the WGSD to be rare ... I know a lot of people who have them, there are several WGSD clubs in the U S and Canada. Over the years I've had a few, both coated and regular coats ... currently I have Faith who is a normal coated WGSD (Bruiser is a b/t blanket and Ledgie is a red sable).

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
mine is long hair GS as well, similar coloring. I had short hair one before and really like this one as her coat is very soft.

·
Banned
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Chase isn't long hair tho he is plush
I'm pretty sure he will have a long coat by the looks of him, he has those ear fluffies.
He is Plush not long hair! His fur is much shorter then a long hair. This pic is a long hair at the same age as Chase (5 months) Chase is way shorter than that!

Attachments

·
Banned
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chasegsdlove, your pup is a long coated gsd ("longhaired", "coatie", "long stock coat", LHGSD, etc). both of his parents are stock coats, yes his dad is a plush version but still a stock coat. they are carriers of the long coat gene which is how your beautiful pup was produced but he is no doubt a long coat - the hairs in and around his ears are a dead give away..... long coats vary in the degree of adult coat that they end up with. as he grows, so will his hair, predominately on his chest, legs, tail, feet. some long coats with really thick/dense undercoats may still be called plush but that is a descriptive term, not a genetic one and Chase is too young to tell. expect his adult coat closer to 18months.

your breeder should be able to confirm all of this for you.
Chase is not long hair! This pic is a long hair gsd at the same age (5 months) Chase is way shorter than that and he is getting his adult fur now he has alot of red on his shoulders, neck and back legs and it is short the fluff on the ears is slowly disappearing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 105 Posts