German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Seems that some dogs are more comfortable sitting than standing. Handlers had a hard time sometimes maintaining the dogs' standing position. Could be from the conformation? I still can't get used to the over-angulation. Just MHO, not meaning to start a discussion.

·
Registered
538 Posts
PrarieKing, the reason that dogs now watch TV when they didn't use to is that they type of TV's have changed. They are much easier for the dogs to see than when the old models. The technology has changed, increasing the frame rates and allowing for High Definition. Those things make it easier for the dogs to discern what they are seeing on the screen.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
the announcers seemed to get pretty excited as they were pulling out the dogs for the herding group!! Seems like the old English sheep dog and Pekingese always get pulled? I liked Tony and the rough collie, standard poodle, Saluki and that deerhound! And several others! Lol! Can't remember which ones got pulled out in groups before they choose the final 4 but thought some really nice dogs were chosen! That little Sheltie was a lively fun dog!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Odd question, but does how the handler run with the dog have any bearing on the presentation of the dog? Some seem pretty formal, others a little more causal?

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Odd question, but does how the handler run with the dog have any bearing on the presentation of the dog? Some seem pretty formal, others a little more causal?
I pay a handler for a reason. I can’t run without looking like I’m racing to the bathroom so I won’t pee my pants. I’m terribly ungraceful. I’ve seen myself at handling class. It’s not pretty. My handler makes my dogs look good. They know just the right speed to go, and how to present the dog. I have a friend who was showing her GSD, and the judge (who she knows well) said “you aren’t doing her any favors”. She uses my same handler now, whenever possible, lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Seems that some dogs are more comfortable sitting than standing. Handlers had a hard time sometimes maintaining the dogs' standing position. Could be from the conformation? I still can't get used to the over-angulation. Just MHO, not meaning to start a discussion.
I know in the shepherd ring, Carly would get bored. And sit. And then back up and practically knock the ring down. My handler had to play with her to stop that from happening. Sage would get bored in the ring (if it was a big class) and want to lie down. Scarlet hardly ever sits in the ring. She’s a busybody. I imagine you are seeing dogs that sit because they are just tired of standing there.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I pay a handler for a reason. I can’t run without looking like I’m racing to the bathroom so I won’t pee my pants. I’m terribly ungraceful. I’ve seen myself at handling class. It’s not pretty. My handler makes my dogs look good. They know just the right speed to go, and how to present the dog. I have a friend who was showing her GSD, and the judge (who she knows well) said “you aren’t doing her any favors”. She uses my same handler now, whenever possible, lol.
Lol! Not the thing as in rodeo where making the ride look more exciting makes more points!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I recorded the show but did not get to watch yet. Not sure who won. Super g- lol!
Kent must of been happy with his win. My daughter was going to see the breed ring with her animal care class but the teacher did not order tickets soon enough and sold out disappointing -even though the trip planned was not on the same day as the gsds were showing. Westminster show is exciting hope to go there one day to watch in person. A lot of downtime waiting for your turn that is unavoidable in any venue. If I am out and run into someone i know and in a conversation they figure this will take awhile and lie down and wait has nothing to do with soundness - patience yes lol. Beth from Hollow hills had her asl dog Steele river entered but the handler just recently passed away in a tragic car accident. So very upsetting such a talented young woman living her dream.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The quality was really deep in the groups rings. I don’t know how Bob Slay could choose BIS! And yes, very sorry for the loss of a wonderful person in the car wreck. I’d had always hoped to meet her one day at a show.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I liked how the golden's handler let him carry off the blue ribbon for group! Any teeth marks would always be a memory of his enjoyment of the moment! The poodle was nice! Not sure if I had one I'd have him in that cut, but they are nice dogs! I had a relative that had one on their farm! Was nice the Sheltie and golden had a good chance at best in show, both really nice dogs!
Also the update they did on Rumor!

·
Super Moderator
2,503 Posts
There was a pretty lengthy spot about some of Rumor's progeny that have gone into service work. If you search Facebook you'll find a few people who screen-video'd and posted it.

It thankfully drowned out some of the absolute rubbish that the malinois woman spewed the day before. Yikes.

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
Beth from Hollow hills had her asl dog Steele river entered but the handler just recently passed away in a tragic car accident. So very upsetting such a talented young woman living her dream.
There were 3 of Beth's dogs with the handler when the accident occurred. I"m so sad for her family, Beth and River. So very tragic.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
There was a pretty lengthy spot about some of Rumor's progeny that have gone into service work. If you search Facebook you'll find a few people who screen-video'd and posted it.

It thankfully drowned out some of the absolute rubbish that the malinois woman spewed the day before. Yikes.
The video is on FB on the Custom Canines Service Dog Academy page.

And yes, that malinois lady was kind of rude. And the pet people on Twitter are losing their minds because the golden retriever didn’t win. They keep saying the same dogs always win. Ummm, a poodle hasn’t gone BIS since 2002, and a Standard poodle hasn’t won since 1991. People are ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The video is on FB on the Custom Canines Service Dog Academy page.

And yes, that malinois lady was kind of rude. And the pet people on Twitter are losing their minds because the golden retriever didn’t win. They keep saying the same dogs always win. Ummm, a poodle hasn’t gone BIS since 2002, and a Standard poodle hasn’t won since 1991. People are ridiculous.
LOL, even my snobby dog group was begging for anyone but the Wire Fox Terrier to take it. Siba was just too perfect. Could see it in the group ring and she brought it to the BIS ring.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
@Jax08 I’m so glad to hear that. I heard the dogs were all safe I did realize Beths 3 dogs. I had read an article that a Australian shepherd escaped from the wreck and was lost. A psychic called the owners and told them where you look and they went to the location told to them and they found her safe and sound near the woods.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts