German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this really cool brush in the XL size, its a little pricey, they come for long and short hair, i got the short hair, its amazing. I saw a video of it at the store, i was a little apprehensive on buying it, thinking it was a gimmick, I'm really glad I did. Kaiser has never looked so good, i got so much hair off of him, I've tried every other brush and comb out there and it never did much.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I use it on all 4 of my dogs..got my moneys worth:D Just let the brush do the work.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
just don't over do it....GSDs have coats for a reason and furminators are known for breaking the guard hair.

I don't(won't) have one...an undercoat rake and pin brush work fine for all three of my dogs/one of which is a long coat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just don't over do it....GSDs have coats for a reason and furminators are known for breaking the guard hair.

I don't(won't) have one...an undercoat rake and pin brush work fine for all three of my dogs/one of which is a long coat.

Ah, I see, Do you think a once or twice a week brushing is sufficient?

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
I don't use a furminator so don't know how much it pulls out...I do brush my dogs a couple times a week when they are blowing their undercoat. Baths or swimming help to loosen it up too.
I know of a couple dogs that were overfurminated, and it took forever for their coats to recover. They looked horrible!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Dislike the furminator - breaks hair and ruins the coat. Takes forever to come back in normally. Nice undercoat rake, pin brush, and self cleaning slicker brush do a good job.

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Didn't Freestep, a professional groomer, just post that it's how you use it? I'll look for the thread.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't use a furminator so don't know how much it pulls out...I do brush my dogs a couple times a week when they are blowing their undercoat. Baths or swimming help to loosen it up too.
I know of a couple dogs that were overfurminated, and it took forever for their coats to recover. They looked horrible!

Ha, I'll keep it to a minimal then, I will use it for short periods, once a week. Thank you for letting me know that.

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Here's the thread
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/274498-need-some-guidance-brushing-furminator.html

And her post

I should keep my Furminator speel in a notepad so I can just copy and paste it whenever this question comes up. :)

The thing to remember with the Furminator is to use a light touch, like you are just petting the dog with it. You don't need to use a lot of pressure; keep your wrist relaxed and just let the tool do the work. Don't go over one spot for too long, and be extra careful over any bony areas. 5-10 minutes of Furminating once or twice a week is plenty. If you over-furminate, you may end up with bald spots or skin irritation. You definitely can remove more hair than you mean to if you aren't careful!

You will hear people say that the Furminator "ruins" the coat. This is not true if you use it properly. I'm a professional groomer, and I use the Furminator all the time with NO coat damage whatsoever. It is not designed to cut hair, only to grab the loose hairs while allowing the live hair to slide through undamaged.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use the furminator. I love it. I have heard people say that it ruins the coat, but honestly, I don't see it. My dogs look great and it is the only tool I use on them.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I use it... but I'm gentle when I brush them and I don't use it excessively. About once a month. I've never seen any issues with their coats. Though, I'm not sure the results it would bring if it was used more often.

Between the monthly furminator brushing... I use a good undercoat rake to get off the loose hair. We do that twice a week. When they are blowing their coats it's a bit more often.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Thank you Jax for posting that for me, I was about to go look up that notepad. :)

We need a Furminator sticky!

Yesterday I used the Furminator on a little Pomeranian who was blowing his undercoat something fierce--it's amazing how much dead hair you can remove with this tool. I should have taken a photo of the little guy next to the pile of hair that came out of him. I think the hair pile was bigger than the dog!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts