German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my research I've learned about the trait/gene that could make Ivomec lethal to the GSD. However, I saw mixed data on how that trait is tested for to see if Ivomec would be safe to use.

Money is somewhat tight now which is why I'm considering switching from Interceptor.

This does not need to turn in to a "how much is you're dog's life worth" or "just give your dog away" discussion.

I'm just curious to know if and how I can safely use Ivomec as a heartworm preventative for my dog.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was speaking to my vet about this about a week ago. She told me Washington State university does the testing for you. You just need to send in a dna sample.

Test your Dog for the mutant MDR1 gene. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.

Apparently, it's mostly Collies that are affected, but it can still affects 10% of GSD's. If it were me, I'd get my dog tested first.
I saw the Washington State test as well....but is that 100% reliable/accurate?

And does the SPCA or any other places offer it on a local basis or is the Washington State lab the only one, possibly holding the patent on it, that can do the test?

Thanks

-Emt1581

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is straight from the Washington State website...

What heartworm prevention products can I use if my dog has the MDR1 mutation?

Fortunately, the dose of ivermectin, selamectin, milbemycin and moxidectin in the commercial heartworm preparations are low enough to be used safely even in dogs with the MDR1 mutation. It is only when the drugs are used at high doses, such as those used to treat mange (50 times higher dose than the heartworm prevention dose), that dogs with the mutation will develop neurological toxicity. Attempting to use large animal formulations of these drugs is likely to cause neurological toxicity because it is difficult to accurately measure My dog has tested positive for the MDR1 mutation. Now that Interceptor is no longer available, what heartworm preventive product should I use for my dog?

Any of the monthly heartworm preventives (administered at the label dose) can be used in dogs with the MDR1 mutation. We recommend avoiding the 6-month or 12-month injectable products and we prefer the single-ingredient products to the multiple ingredient products.

So it seems like the test is sort of pointless unless.... you overdose like 50 times the amount OR need to treat the dog for Mange...

Or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks

-Emt1581

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
The shelter where I volunteer has used Ivomec for years. They dose it by the drop from a syringe in tiny amounts. I almost wonder if the big reason consumers get into trouble with Ivomec is that it's so easy to administer a ginormous dose that's 100x more than is needed for HW preventative--and then triggers the MDR-1 risk.

Also, just FYI, if you are worried about the big dose from Ivomec triggering a MDR-1 reaction, you can get premeasured, low-dose HW preventative generics for about $5 month (way cheaper than Interceptor). Iverheart at KV Supply is $26-$29/6 mo. and Pet Trust at Walmart Pharmacy is $30/6 months. Both are ivermectin-based generics that have the same dose of Ivermectin as Heartguard, I believe (Iverhart Max also has a dewormer).

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I use 1% ivermectin (cattle) that I dose myself and give orally to all my dogs. I have a mathematical formula that I use based on the micrgrams-per-pound.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shelter where I volunteer has used Ivomec for years. They dose it by the drop from a syringe in tiny amounts. I almost wonder if the big reason consumers get into trouble with Ivomec is that it's so easy to administer a ginormous dose that's 100x more than is needed for HW preventative--and then triggers the MDR-1 risk.

Also, just FYI, if you are worried about the big dose from Ivomec triggering a MDR-1 reaction, you can get premeasured, low-dose HW preventative generics for about $5 month (way cheaper than Interceptor). Iverheart at KV Supply is $26-$29/6 mo. and Pet Trust at Walmart Pharmacy is $30/6 months. Both are ivermectin-based generics that have the same dose of Ivermectin as Heartguard, I believe (Iverhart Max also has a dewormer).
I appreciate the information. Now the Ivomec I was looking at was at Tractor Supply. It was the solution you apply externally.

I have a bunch of 1ml and 5ml syringes to measure the dose...or is this something I'm going to need a micro-pipet for?

I'm not fan of spending good money on something I can do myself. But if it's going to take a specialized tool just to do it right, I'll buy the doses.

Thanks

-Emt1581

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
The kind used at the shelter is given orally -- a certain number of drops per the weight of the dog, inside a pill pocket. I don't know whether they've already diluted it (it's quite possible that they have), so I don't want to suggest the drop-weight ratio they use.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
I did the research on this, and the 1% solution should be given at half a drop.

For a 70 pound German Shepherd.

DO NOT get the Plus!! You can kill your dog That way!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
You can also just go with Sentinel. Same main ingredient as Interceptor with the addition of some kind of flea medicine. Same company too.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
The kind used at the shelter is given orally -- a certain number of drops per the weight of the dog, inside a pill pocket. I don't know whether they've already diluted it (it's quite possible that they have), so I don't want to suggest the drop-weight ratio they use.
Yes they have diluted it.
It is close to impossible to measure half a drop.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
You can also just go with Sentinel. Same main ingredient as Interceptor with the addition of some kind of flea medicine. Same company too.
For what it's worth, my vet hates Sentinel, doesn't carry it.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
For what it's worth, my vet hates Sentinel, doesn't carry it.
Did he/she give you a reason why? It's basically just Interceptor plus.

My vet always carried Interceptor, but when they stopped production of it, they switched to one of the Ivermectin pills. I forget which one. They don't carry Sentinel either, but didn't have any problems with it when I asked about it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes they have diluted it.
It is close to impossible to measure half a drop.
But since my guy is over 70lbs, a whole drop shouldn't really matter right? The concern comes in when you give 50x the dose from what I read.

Just dip a paper clip into the solution and then let a piece of food absorb it or put it right on his tongue...no?

So don't get the plus?...But I do want the injectable one right...or is there an oral solution?

Thanks

-Emt1581

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Honestly, I did ask, but I was so freaked out and upset over Hans and his prostate infection that I can't remember what he said :crazy:

Something about it not being as effective as ivermectin, I believe, but I am not sure, so I will ask again when I talk to him this week.

Did he/she give you a reason why? It's basically just Interceptor plus.

My vet always carried Interceptor, but when they stopped production of it, they switched to one of the Ivermectin pills. I forget which one. They don't carry Sentinel either, but didn't have any problems with it when I asked about it.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
But since my guy is over 70lbs, a whole drop shouldn't really matter right? The concern comes in when you give 50x the dose from what I read.

Just dip a paper clip into the solution and then let a piece of food absorb it or put it right on his tongue...no?

So don't get the plus?...But I do want the injectable one right...or is there an oral solution?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Is the injectable one, yes.
The regular one is what was suggested on this forum. NOT the plus.
What I know is that it tastes horrible, so you will want to hide it well. I have read about people putting it in green tripe to disguise the horrible flavor.

For the record, I have purchased some, but it's sitting on my shelf and I'm too chicken to give it to Hans.
Right now he's taking medication, so anything else is not even in discussion. I am not recommending this, just telling you what I have seen suggested on the forum.
I have no experience with it at all.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is the injectable one, yes.
The regular one is what was suggested on this forum. NOT the plus.
What I know is that it tastes horrible, so you will want to hide it well. I have read about people putting it in green tripe to disguise the horrible flavor.

For the record, I have purchased some, but it's sitting on my shelf and I'm too chicken to give it to Hans.
Right now he's taking medication, so anything else is not even in discussion. I am not recommending this, just telling you what I have seen suggested on the forum.
I have no experience with it at all.
I could probably just put it on his joint pill in the morning right before his breakfast. He inhales everything so it probably wouldn't even touch his tongue.

Now does the single drop on a paperclip sound like a plan or is there a better way to dose it?

Thanks

-Emt1581

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
People were using an insulin needle. Let me see if I can find that old thread.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
People were using an insulin needle.
And doing what with it? Drawing the smallest amount possible or like .1ml?

I just want to make sure I get the dose safely.

Thanks

-Emt1581

1 - 20 of 53 Posts