German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

As the weather warms up for us down here in Australia I'm looking for a good way to keep my dogs cooler when they are in the back of the truck. I've got it set up with a cap (canopy) on the back with a false floor and mesh cages. unfortunately the whole set up is a dark green colour which I;m worried will get even warmer than my old white set up used to.

So i was wondering if throwing a sheet of Aluminet over the canopy and perhaps draping down over the open back window will help keep the car cooler when we are parked at an event?
Lots of people seem to use them on gazebos and to shade show trolleys but i've not seen anyone put it over their car?
Wonder if it would scratch the paintwork (not really an issue on the truck canopy as it'a a textured finish anyway)
Any ideas, comments or even pictures of your set ups would be greatly appreciated :)
Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I know a BUNCH of people with SUVs and vans who do! My cap is white so I have not bothered though I have thought about it because it could drape over the open windows in the back

Not sure which % shading is optimal but I assume the higher the better

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Yup, use it and like it. I have a bunch of clips (heavy duty construction type) and clip it to the car. Often I have the hatch up and just cover the car (Subaru Forester) wherever the sun is beating on it.

·
Registered
31,118 Posts
I bought mine from Clean Run. Yes, it keeps the car cooler. I was not impressed with the air flow thru the shades so I only shade the back half and keep the front windows down, the back door open, along with a crate fan, to move air. On an above 90 degree day, his area is no more than 85.

·
Registered
489 Posts
CleanRun.com has stuff for keeping dogs in the car cool. I use the ventlock and proselect canopy. Also fans by Ryobi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts