German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Looked to see if anyone posted about it, but my search isn't working. The local shop that I have always bought everything from is VERY picky. They don't carry Taste Of The Wild, and stopped carrying Canidae and since the sale of the company they no longer sell EVO. They recently started carrying Fromm and Artisan ( i got samples of both) and I very much trust the owner of the store when it comes to my dogs' health and well being. They have a room of food that is only Grain Free, and started carrying Nutri-Source. Took home some samples and the dogs LOVED it, I mean DEVOURED it, and they normally hate kibble. Well, due to financial strain, we can't keep them on full RAW, so we picked up this food.. and it's great. Except for the Poo not being quite as quick to bio-degrade on its own, we haven't lost any of the physical benefits of RAW with it. Has oils, and they carry both Lamb and chicken, each in normal and " large breed" which has lower protein and such.. and comes in larger bites...

Just a note ;)_

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will note.. that this is the same store that is the ONLY local spot to get Orijen, Fromm, Acana, and a few others ;) Awesome place, though it's all pricey, I still continue to shop there!

** Also, no offense meant to anyone who uses any of the foods mentioned. I considered TOTW again, until a friend who has Czecoslovakian VlCaks found whole corn kernels in the TOTW food she bought... NEVER again.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
My dogs tried the Pure Vita by Nutri Source and enjoyed it very much. But it was a little costly for us. I'm sure the Nutri Source would be just as good but we haven't tried it yet....I have it on the list if we decide to move off Pro Plan any time soon (although I doubt it - my girl dog loves those shredded pieces!).

Nutrisource is made here in Minnesota :) Seems to be a quality company.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I haven't heard anything bad about it. I tried to look up some type of review, but I was in a hurry out the door.. they like it, and that's number 2 ( being good for them of course being number 1)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used this food right before I switched my dog to Raw. I have known several other dogs on it as well. It is like a midway point in quality between Eukanuba and Iams formulas. It isn't terrible and I haven't met a dog who wouldn't eat it. They all seemed to like it. My sister's dog (Lab) could not stomach it overall, and he needed to be switched to a lower fat food since this made him vomit and poop too much.

It was more cost effective than Eukanuba and not a bad formulation-but not a high protien dog food by any means (nothing wrong there-just what you prefer to feed). I do recall there being some plant protien in the total protein count-again that only matters if you object to that feeding philosophy. It is grain heavy if you were feeding TOTW-but the protien amounts are NOT drastically different.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
** Also, no offense meant to anyone who uses any of the foods mentioned. I considered TOTW again, until a friend who has Czecoslovakian VlCaks found whole corn kernels in the TOTW food she bought... NEVER again.
forgot to mention that this happened to me a couple of years ago with Orijen when I was first trying it - got an Acana piece in my food - most likely it was stuck in the system that makes the food and got dislodged when the next batch of grain-free was run. So could be a similiar thing except a whole kernel of corn sounds like a different mess up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts