German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how much is too much to run with Tara? Her estimated birthday is March of 2008, so she is about 20 months. I run about 20 miles per week now (four days of running), but will be building to 35+ through the winter, with long runs being 15+ miles. How much per run can she do? And how many miles per week? Right now the most she's run at one time with me is 6 miles and she does well, but it's hard to gauge when she's tired now. When I first started running with her, I could tell she was not conditioned to it and she could only run about 1/2 mile to a mile at a time before she was noticeably tired. We slowly built up to where she is now. But at this point, I truly think she would continue running with me as long as I keep moving regardless of how exhausted she is, but I obviously don't want to ever run her till exhaustion!

Thanks for any input!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think 5 miles is plenty to jog with
your dog. i don't know what the stats
state. what does your dog need to jog
longer than 5 miles for? i'm curious
what the others have to say?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I personally don't think your dog should have any trouble with that distance. Long as they are conditioned. I'm guessing she's on leash, which means I REALLY think she'd have no problem.

I can easily go for a five mile hike in the woods/hills/low mountains with my 9 month old pup and she does fine. I just walk. She's off leash. Which means sometimes she's running MUCH further and faster than I am. And also means she's laying down in a puddle waiting for me to catch up.

If I had an apartment dog that only went on leashed walks around the block, that's one thing. But if you've worked up to it, I'd say your dog would be fine. Watch her feet would be my concern more than her general muscles and body.

·
Registered
180 Posts
On a hot day, an average human distance runner can run a dog into the ground. On a cool day, it will be much different.
You never want to give your dog too much time or distance in the heat.

What pace do you keep?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I agree with the previous post about feet. I'd probably be more concerned about the surface than the distance. Running on concrete or pavement would probably be tough on her paws. In VA, you might want to be careful of the heat in the summer too.

I used to run about 3 miles with my female and she really didn't have any issues. I never took her when it was above 65 or so and we had a nice dirt trail to run on.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments!

Originally Posted By: doggiedadwhat does your dog need to jog
longer than 5 miles for?
No reason she needs to run longer than 5 miles, but since I run farther, it's nice to have the company.

Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeeI personally don't think your dog should have any trouble with that distance. Long as they are conditioned. I'm guessing she's on leash, which means I REALLY think she'd have no problem.
Yup, we've worked up to this and will continue working up slowly. And she'll be on leash!

Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeeWatch her feet would be my concern more than her general muscles and body.
Good point. Is there anything I can do for her pads either before/after running as a preventive for sores? I'm planning to work in some trail runs once I find some good places for it, but for now we're typically on asphalt.

Originally Posted By: tucoWhat pace do you keep?
Slow. Right now I'm at about 10 minute miles, but the goal is to decrease that over the winter in time for next season (I do triathlons).

Originally Posted By: Todd In VA, you might want to be careful of the heat in the summer too.
Absolutely! I would only take her early morning in the summer when it is cool enough. That pavement gets HOT in the summer around here! I don't run as much in the summer usually anyways. When race season rolls around, I add cycling and swimming back in and cut back on the running.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hardy (he's about the same age as Tara) and I started running in September, I hadn't run for a couple of years so we started very gently (think walk for a minute run for a minute!) and now are up to 3- 5 miles a day 4-5 times a week. On our run there is usually a part that I can let him off leash so he can go explore or whatever he wants. I only run on weekdays as all children in school :0) but every weekend he looks at me as if to say where's the running kit? So it's a big family walk that day instead. Just once or twice Hardy hasn't seemed to have his heart in the run so we have cut it short and done something different like down to the river, I don't want him to dislike running with me. And like the others have said we try and run somewhere he doesn't have to do much pavement.

And no matter what on that homeward stretch he takes the leash between his teeth and makes me go faster - I end up feeling like a rag doll toy bouncing along behind. Goodness knows what people must think when they see us!

I really enjoy my runs with him and I am pretty sure he does too. Hopefully our distance will increase a bit more too. Hope you have a good winter running.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:No reason she needs to run longer than 5 miles, but since I run farther, it's nice to have the company.
Yes it is. My oldest GSD is my best running partner, my Lab was never a big fan, and since our accident running last year he is really not a big fan anymore.
Kaper lives to run with me. Our longest distance has been 10k (I think that is around 6 miles). I know he could go farther, although its been awhile so we both have to work up to it.

Quote:

Slow. Right now I'm at about 10 minute miles, but the goal is to decrease that over the winter in time for next season (I do triathlons).
I am planning on doing my first tri next year.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
When my DH runs Nikon, he doesn't go as far, maybe 2-3 miles. Nikon comes home and he's not winded, he wants to wrestle with Coke. This is assuming it's not hot out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
10 min mile pace, is a very easy and comfortable pace for a dog.
Tara should have no problems at all at that pace.
If you can find some country dirt roads and let her run
loose, even better. This way Tara can clean out whenever
she wants.
At that pace, you can carry on a conversation with Tara and
praise her as well. An hour jog with a dog, is a real bonding time.
All the dogs I have run with, would enjoy listening to all my problems. I never had to pay them either.

After your runs, you might want to give her a massage and knead
towards the heart. Finish up with a coat of vaseline for her pads.
This will keep them soft and supple and free from cracks.
I prefer this method over the tuff pad solutions.
The Vaseline will keep your hands nice and soft too.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It sounds like you're are doing fine with getting her up and running. You are bringing her up slowly and checking pads. So long as you don't have to push her to run, she doesn't drop with exhaustion or immediately develop diarrhea post run, and her pads hold up, run as much as you want. I was regularly running and/or biking my dog 6-12 miles a day, every day, and he loved it. I never had any pad issues even though this was all sidewalk running, but I did check after every run.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i have a wonderful orthopedic vet now. anyway. he says he sees an awful lot of repetitive stress type injuries from dogs that are being jogged 4+ miles. personally, i rarely take my dog jogging because the jogging is really for me. if i do, i limit it to 3 miles, then engage her in a vigorous game of fetch. i find she gets much more enjoyment from ball chasing activities, hiking, swimming.

i also think with dogs, there should be a day of recovery inbetween for those who run their dogs that far.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
fetch is much harder on dogs than jogging, I'm amazed that Paige never broke anything. paige is 11 and still runs EVERYDAY.Dogs are born to run, Cesar Millan would be proud!
(do watch the heat though)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Originally Posted By: SuzyEfetch is much harder on dogs than jogging, I'm amazed that Paige never broke anything. paige is 11 and still runs EVERYDAY.Dogs are born to run, Cesar Millan would be proud!
(do watch the heat though)
but it is for shorter durations and does not involve tens of thousands of steps with essentially an unvaried gait (sometimes on hard surfaces) several days a week.

it is why you see runners (per capita) treated more often for leg injuries that basketball or football players (taking injuries due to getting hit out of the equation). there is more recovery time and less repetition in those types of running. you just dont get the exact same stress on exactly the same joint many thousands of times per day.

dont get me wrong, jogging your dog is better than the dog not gettting much exercise, i just decided it would be better in the long run to find other avenues to exercise my dog.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted By: novarobin:) I am planning on doing my first tri next year.
How exciting! What distance are you planning to do? Be careful...triathlons are addictive! If you ever want to talk training, feel free to PM me. I'll be training for my first half-Ironman distance next season.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Trail running!

It's a lot easier on the body (both dog and human) than pounding the asphalt day in and day out.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I had to stop fetch a couple years ago with Paige. She will do ANYTHING to catch a ball, it's scary. Even cutting her loose in a park is questionable anymore because she will literally run herself to injury. Only way is a slow paced jog for her, she is very light on her feet. I have been taking them to a trail which they love.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I bike the Cranberry bogs with the adult male(reward with a swim halfway) and will do the same with the pup when he's older. I used to run with him (3-5 miles 4 days a week) but he's never fulfilled unless I end with some ball play.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Originally Posted By: TaraM1285
Originally Posted By: novarobin:) I am planning on doing my first tri next year.
How exciting! What distance are you planning to do? Be careful...triathlons are addictive! If you ever want to talk training, feel free to PM me. I'll be training for my first half-Ironman distance next season.
I hear that.
I am going to try a Sprint one first. I bought a good bike and have joined a Master`s swim team. I was already a runner. A friend of mine from work did her first one last season so we are going to train together.
A group from the Masters swimming are training for an Ironman in Germany. So jealous.

I will keep you in mind. I am a little overwhelmed. I was involved in an accident while running last year and am struggling to get back into shape. Not quite sure where to start for training.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been considering jogging with my girls. The last few times I tried jogging, Abbey and Haley just want to sprint ahead and getting me dragged along. I don't have much upper body strength, so I am very uncomfortable on jogging with them.

What would be your solution to jogging with the dogs without them dragging you?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts