German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi;
I had a horrible weekend. We have major issues with our neighbor, in fact this weekend he came over on my property, knocked on my door to confront me with an issue rather than ask. After I promised I would take care of the issue he then went on to scream and yell at me going as far as chasing me in my own yard with his walking stick. This is not the first time the old man has came at me in the last two months the other time he came at me with his fists. I told him I was going to call the cops if he didn't leave my property he came at me harder screaming to call them. I did, my luck it was his nephew and that didn't get anywhere the old man took charge of everything fussing about why he came over on my property to begin with. It also came out that he hates us living next door to him because we have animals. (We have a farm with goats, horses, chickens, pigs, etc.) He informed me that we could stay where we were as long as we got rid of the animals, the officer agreed. When we moved here we made sure that we were in our legal right to have them and we are. I raise dairy goats for part of our living, but with the old man and his nephew we are being forced to sell part of our living because as he says "he hates animals".

OK, that said and with him being physical, I have this question. My GSD right now is a little ways from being any kind of protection at 11 weeks old. But where do I stand since she is with me all the time if she does happen to jump on this old man if he comes after me again, which I'm sure he will. As after the officer left he said he enjoyed what he was doing to us.

Moving is financially out of the option or I would right now today. So, I just want to know since we are in KY where we stand if she does happen to go after him as a general protective dog. She is not going to be trained in protection, but I also know these dogs are protective of their families. I don't know for sure she would, but. I tell you I am scared for my life against this old man other officers I've talked with said he has no business on my place, but unless they see him on my place I have no grounds to do anything.

Well, I tell you he is on our property all the time because he brings his dog on our property to do his business. My dogs are not allowed to even look over there without him raising world war 3, but it is alright for him to bring his dog over here. If I say anything then here he comes at me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Very confusing - the officer agreed with this neighbor? Who is it, Boss Hogg and Roscoe P. Coltraine?!?!? If your town ordinances allow those animals, and they are being well taken care of, there are no public health issues...that seems odd. There is a legal aid program in KY that might be worth calling - I do not know: Kentucky Bar Association > Resources > Legal Aid in Kentucky

Also - can you fence - livestock type fence - around your property so he cannot access it?

Finally, I am sure he will either sue the pants off of you or do something awful to your dog if she were to go after him. Regardless, I don't know of any place where a dog biting someone is okay. This is now a situation where you will need to protect your dog from your neighbor by safely containing and monitoring her, making sure she has no access to the yard unless you've checked it for anything he may have left out for her, etc. :( Awful!

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Yeah I'm confused as to why the officer would agree about the whole animal thing if it is legal for you to own them there...that part makes no sense.

The truth is, if your dog bites someone on your property, you probably won't get in trouble, but the dog will get a registered bite history that could make the 2nd or 3rd bite an issue if it ever happens. The best you should hope for is that your GSD is enough of a deterrent for this guy to come onto your property. The question does come up though that since you have had run ins with the neighbor in the past, if your dog bites him, it might be seen as you wanted the dog to bite him and you allowed it (or even told it to), so then what would happen? I can't answer that and it would really be up to some good lawyers or understanding police officers (which yours seem kind of backwards).

It's tough to understand though as to why there are such huge property disputes...since you have animals I'd have to assume you live in a more rural area, with your neighbor being quite the distance away. But if he is for some reason "right next door" I'd question why your area has an ordinance that allows farm animals with people living so close together.

You might want to review the ordinance and make sure there isn't a certain distance required for livestock to be away from others.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I think they said the officer that came out was the man's nephew.

If I were you, I'd be going to a DIFFERENT cop/chief and file a complaint.

I would think,if your dog ends up biting this neighbor at any time, that cop is not going to be helping you much whether it was it the man's fault or not.

I'd get a lawyer asap

·
Registered
476 Posts

I would think,if your dog ends up biting this neighbor at any time, that cop is not going to be helping you much whether it was it the man's fault or not.

I'd get a lawyer asap
Yes, was just going to say this.

If I were you, I'd start documenting and go to nephew's superior officer. There's no reason nephew should be handling complaints against his uncle. Personally, I'd be looking into installing video with the nephew officer getting involved.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
You could google the laws that are specific to your county. I suspect there might be more to the story as a neighbor doesn't have the legal authority to dictate what animals you can house on your property. However, your specific county/state/township can.

You might have misunderstood your legal rights (regarding the animals) when you moved onto your property. You might want to start there.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
You might have misunderstood your legal rights (regarding the animals) when you moved onto your property. You might want to start there.
This is what I would look into...I live in a very urban environment and I know we wouldn't be able to have livestock of any sort. We are however (in the county) allowed to have up to 4 chickens, and then it goes up depending on your acreage. Even though most houses are 50 ft or less from each other. We are not allowed to have roosters unless you have x amount of acreage as well (usually in the corners of the county).

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I would also post no trespassing signs around my property and since his relation is on the police force I would call the State Police or the Sheriff if ever he decides to go where he is not wanted. I wish you luck it sounds like the elder man could be having some mental disturbences.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It's possible that your neighbor is showing early signs of Alzheimer's and that's very sad, but serious. I think a restraining order to keep him off your property is the best way to go.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

I'd get a lawyer asap
I agree 100% with this!!! I'd also talk to the Chief of Police about the Officer Nephew's unprofessional handling of the entire matter ... he should have called for another officer when he found out it was his uncle threatening you.

Another suggestion ... get a restraining order against the neighbor!!!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
If your neighbor is chasing you around with a stick, that is assault and you could press charges. You could call the police department and speak with someone higher up or contact the state/district attorney's office. You should also file an injunction against the neighbor, you may or may not be approved for that, but you could have him trepassed from your property the next time he is on it. Either way, he will be arrested if he comes on your property again, in violation.

Also, if you are entitled to keep farm animals on your property then your neighbor cannot just say he doesn't like them and make you get rid of them-contact a lawyer to figure out your rights.

Info on KY's dog bite laws:
Kentucky Dog Bite Law

Unfortunately, KY is a strict liability state for dog bites, but it seems a defense can be provided if you could prove that the neighbor was contributory negligent. You should definitely contact an attorney for this as well, but I think you should be safe and not sorry.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
This is what I would look into...I live in a very urban environment and I know we wouldn't be able to have livestock of any sort. We are however (in the county) allowed to have up to 4 chickens, and then it goes up depending on your acreage. Even though most houses are 50 ft or less from each other. We are not allowed to have roosters unless you have x amount of acreage as well (usually in the corners of the county).
My folks live in Ky., in a very small town (228 folks). They pretty much created their own regulations regarding farm animals, as well as (what they consider) dangerous dogs that are allowed or disallowed. They had a town meeting and voted on it. That was all it took.

They did grandfather in excisting properties that had livestock, but those properties were not allowed to replace any livestock (or chickens etc.) that were sold or died.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't understand, if livestock is allowed in your area how can he make you get rid of your animals??
I would suggest maybe try putting up "no trespassing" signs and if possible some kind of fencing or at least clear marking of your property lines? Make it clear that you do not want this neighbor on your property. I would also try to find out if you can call a different department (county or state officers vs local for example) other than where his nephew works or request a different officer for future.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Would the dog protecting the property that way fall under the stand your ground laws? I believe KY uses it, but I'm not sure how it would apply for dogs.

As for the police situation, that is really messed up. Try contacting an officer that isn't your neighbor's relative, and definitely file a complaint with his superiors. If they can't do anything without seeing your neighbor on your property, is photo/video evidence enough? Could you take pictures of him on your property, doing whatever he's doing? Maybe consider investing in a security camera, something simple like this. I don't think you should be required to pay to fence your yard just because your neighbor can't respect property boundaries.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Hi;
I had a horrible weekend. We have major issues with our neighbor, in fact this weekend he came over on my property, knocked on my door to confront me with an issue rather than ask. After I promised I would take care of the issue he then went on to scream and yell at me going as far as chasing me in my own yard with his walking stick. This is not the first time the old man has came at me in the last two months the other time he came at me with his fists. I told him I was going to call the cops if he didn't leave my property he came at me harder screaming to call them. I did, my luck it was his nephew and that didn't get anywhere the old man took charge of everything fussing about why he came over on my property to begin with. It also came out that he hates us living next door to him because we have animals. (We have a farm with goats, horses, chickens, pigs, etc.) He informed me that we could stay where we were as long as we got rid of the animals, the officer agreed. When we moved here we made sure that we were in our legal right to have them and we are. I raise dairy goats for part of our living, but with the old man and his nephew we are being forced to sell part of our living because as he says "he hates animals".

OK, that said and with him being physical, I have this question. My GSD right now is a little ways from being any kind of protection at 11 weeks old. But where do I stand since she is with me all the time if she does happen to jump on this old man if he comes after me again, which I'm sure he will. As after the officer left he said he enjoyed what he was doing to us.

Moving is financially out of the option or I would right now today. So, I just want to know since we are in KY where we stand if she does happen to go after him as a general protective dog. She is not going to be trained in protection, but I also know these dogs are protective of their families. I don't know for sure she would, but. I tell you I am scared for my life against this old man other officers I've talked with said he has no business on my place, but unless they see him on my place I have no grounds to do anything.

Well, I tell you he is on our property all the time because he brings his dog on our property to do his business. My dogs are not allowed to even look over there without him raising world war 3, but it is alright for him to bring his dog over here. If I say anything then here he comes at me.

Thanks.

FIRST - Talk to a lawyer RIGHT now!

SECOND - Buy a small video camera and film him every time he comes on your place. (check with the lawyer to see if you have to tell him you are filming him) Film his animals on your land as well!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
something seems wrong with this story. lawyer up right away. film, film, film. if your story is as told, this man definitely has mental health issues and the whole relative police issue is surely not any help. take the dog right out of the equation and under no circumstances let the dog anywhere near him or depend on the dog in any way to rectify this situation. are there no laws against trespassing where you are? may i ask how old you are. i just cannot imagine an adult putting up with this kind of crap-on-a-cracker. doesn't make any sense. story almost seems troll-worthy it's so out there. no offense, but it's really out there. do you own your land?

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
It's possible that your neighbor is showing early signs of Alzheimer's and that's very sad, but serious. I think a restraining order to keep him off your property is the best way to go.
This was my first thought as well. A restraining order may be a good idea. Also google animal laws for your state/county/ and municipality. Are you in the city limits? Some smaller towns do allow farm animals. Here in lovely (NOT!) McAlester, OK we can have goats and chickens - as long s you pay for the proper permit. (all about $$$$ here!)

If your dog bites someone, even on your property you have a problem. I agree with others good strong fences if you do not already have them. Keep your animals away from this person's property totally. Good fenses make good neighbors.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Go to the town's police chief and sit down and have a talk. He won't do much right now, but your complaint against Officer Nephew will be onfile. Then, fence, fence, fence!!! Doesn't have to be expensive fencing as long as it is legal. Next, take precautions against poisoning. That would be my guess for your neighbors next attack against your animals. You have found yourself in one heck of a situation and you really need to be proactive.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

I'd get a lawyer asap
Oh, so it was a Boss Hogg kind of situation! ;) Hazard County, KY was the inspiration for that show. They had to add a Z and set it in GA though.

In llama's recent old posts she/he tells another story about the neighbor, if you go back and look. Pretty sad and frightening.

I posted a link to the Legal Aid programming in KY.

Hopefully she will be back to update.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would the dog protecting the property that way fall under the stand your ground laws? I believe KY uses it, but I'm not sure how it would apply for dogs.

As for the police situation, that is really messed up. Try contacting an officer that isn't your neighbor's relative, and definitely file a complaint with his superiors. If they can't do anything without seeing your neighbor on your property, is photo/video evidence enough? Could you take pictures of him on your property, doing whatever he's doing? Maybe consider investing in a security camera, something simple like this. I don't think you should be required to pay to fence your yard just because your neighbor can't respect property boundaries.
The Dog protecting does not fit under stand your ground or castle doctrine. But if you feel a threat from this person you are in your legal right to defend yourself by all and any means. http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/503-00/080.pdf

My first action would be to contact the local DA let him know what is going on and that you will be calling the sheriff for now on.

The second step would be to film everything this way if something happens you have it all on film and when you have to protect yourself at least you have something to hold up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts