German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breeders.NET

We are looking for a family dog that will interact with our 3 year old son. Main concerns are future health and temperment of dog. We are not looking to breed or show the dog. Looking for female family pet who is protective of family and home but not aggressive. More importantly though a healthy happy dog.

This guy says all the right things, but any additional information or experiance with them would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Don't know this breeder and couldn't find their website (do they have one?), but nothing in the description they gave in your link makes me want to buy from them, but nothing really sticks out to me to not want to buy from them either.

They gave a pretty generic description of who they are and what they do. Do you have any other information about this place or their dogs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think they have a web-site. My wife has actually been speaking with him and relaying the information to me. She stopped by and looked at the puppies today on the way home from work and wants me to go over and take a look. My wife said they had all of the AKC paperwork for the parents and the shots for the puppies and have a contract/guarentee on the hips and elbows. He told her they only breed the Mom's once per year. Here are two other links I have for them:

German Shepherds

Pictures for Ad # 14290 - German Shepherds

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
AKC means nothing except that they're purebred. With all of the health and temperment issues associated with this breed, there's a lot more that you should be looking for other than AKC paperwork.

Has the sire and dam of the potential puppy had their hips and elbows x-rayed? If yes, what are their OFA scores and numbers?

Can you post a copy of the pedigrees - both the sire and dams? If no, can you give their names so someone can check pedigree database to see if they're listed?

What is the actual guarantee that they're providing? Can you post a copy of it?

Do the sire and dame have any kind of working titles? If so, which ones?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Not sure, but the "We have a few litters" kind of turns me off to them. I don't like seeing breeders with more than one litter on the ground, really. But that's just me.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Talk to the breeder and if you can; go over and visit the breeder. The most important thing is having the parents of the puppies accessible, and you being able to see if they appear to represent a good sound dog. Your stated goals for the dog is nonbreeding, and non competitive, so you want a sound, good tempered dog. If that's what you see in the parents, and you are comfortable with the breeder, it may be for you. This isn't rocket science!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Once you sort out health testing go onsite and interact with both of the parents. If either have any temprament issues they will get passed to the puppies. You won't see it while they are babies but it will come out. Stay away from any litters that the parents have temprament issues.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
So where in Georgia are you? I get suspicious when they won't put either their full name or a website in the listing. (not the only reason, but big flags!).
Yeah, breeding to WUSV standards and then listing a litter from a female that is not old enough to fulfill even the basic breeding criteria. At a minimum the parents should be OFA certified (the VERY minimum) which is not possible until age 2 at the earliest.
Also, a GSD is probably not the best breed to get for a kid, much less a 3yo. Actually,no dog is great for a child, they are generally not equipped for the responsibility, which is why we are required to take care of them until age 18 ;).
If the dog will be for you and your husband and the child will be taught respect and patience, then great, but don't expect a puppy and 3yo to be like something in a Hallmark commercial. GSD puppies are big, and busy and smart, and landsharks!
We raised all of our dogs with the kids and vice versa, but never expected either one to be mature enough to be left alone without our direct supervision. My 14yo daughter finally got her own pup last year and is doing a great job raising and training him, but I wouldn't have given her that responsibility any earlier.
Annette

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Also, a GSD is probably not the best breed to get for a kid, much less a 3yo.
My current 7-month-old foster puppy and my last 1-year old foster dog were both dumped at the shelter for hurting the kids by playing too rough with them.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The pictures taken at a gas station don't impress me.
The dog that is for sale at the bottom -- yikes! Google her name and look at the other ads online for her. At her age they are selling her litter right now!!!!!

Yeah-see if you can visit their "kennel".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We live in Georgia. Any suggestions in or around Georgia? Was originally hoping to spend around $1,000 since this will be a family pet not a working or show dog. Was hoping to find a respectable breeder and get a "companion dog".

This will be our family dog, obviously a 3 year old is not equipped to raise a dog on his own.

I have previously owned a GS but it was when I was single and younger and it was a gift from an accidental litter, basically a rescue. I loved that dog completely, but there were issues. I would like a dog that will be healthy and work well as a family pet, with a less important side benefit of family/household protection - but not the priority.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
well Mary (gagsd above) is in georgia, maybe she can direct you. There are also some really cute ones on the petfinder link Jean posted

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry, meant to type - Marietta, Georgia.... but my brain got ahead of itself... I am of course willing to drive within several hours to get the right dog. Of course, if the right dog was in our back yard that would be good to. :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts