German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, did you like/dislike it? Have success with it? Any tips?

After much research, I bought a Dogtra 1900NCP for Kodee, along with a Leerburg DVD for pet owners on how to use (and not use) an e-collar. I haven't started conditioning Kodee to wear the collar yet, but in the meantime, wanted to get opinions/experiences from people on this board.

I have worked extensively w/Kodee on lead on basic obedience,a nd he's done really well. However, I have decided to move on to off-lead work, and will be using an e-collar for that. So, if you've used an e-collar, how did it go? What advice do you have?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow - I just watched the first 4 chapters of the Leerburg DVD, and it is great! I started conditioning Kodee to wearing the e-collar today. I have a feeling that we are going to do well with it.

Anyone else used one?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
There are many threads discussing the e-collar. I have heard mixed reviews on the Leerburg version. Its a training tool. I would only use one with someone who knows what they are doing. You can really F*** up a dog too. May I suggest http://www.loucastle.com

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have been training dogs with e-collars for several years. I really do like using the tool. I trained all 4 of my GSD's and my Yorkie with an ecollar.

You got a good ecollar. I use the the 282 two dog unit. Since my dogs are already trained they work nicely on it and the unit is small enough that I can use it on my Yorkie as well. My daughter, also an ecollar trainer uses the 1902 (same collar as yours, just a two dog unit)

Visit Lou Castles site. His articles are very clear and concise and if you follow them as they are written, you will have great success and your dog will continue to have a positive training experience.

One thing I notice with our clients, they are so busy trying to make sure they do everything right that they forget to praise their dog when the dog is performing correctly. Make sure you let the dog know each and every time he/she is doing it right.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i've never used an e-collar. why do you think you need an e-collar because you're starting off leash work?
Originally Posted By: KodeeGirlIf so, did you like/dislike it? Have success with it? Any tips?

After much research, I bought a Dogtra 1900NCP for Kodee, along with a Leerburg DVD for pet owners on how to use (and not use) an e-collar. I haven't started conditioning Kodee to wear the collar yet, but in the meantime, wanted to get opinions/experiences from people on this board.

I have worked extensively w/Kodee on lead on basic obedience,a nd he's done really well. However, I have decided to move on to off-lead work, and will be using an e-collar for that. So, if you've used an e-collar, how did it go? What advice do you have?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i've never used an e-collar. why do you think you need an e-collar because you're starting off leash work?
Originally Posted By: KodeeGirlIf so, did you like/dislike it? Have success with it? Any tips?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I love and use e-collars but only AFTER learning how to train my dog properly WITH distractions in dog classes. Only after the traditional methods FROM CLASS don't work as I'd like to I then resort to the e-collar.

And that's because the e-collar isn't an 'easy' fix. You have to buy a good one and they are expensive. You still HAVE to commit to months and months of training (so those who refuse to go to class or refuse to really work on training at home are ALSO not going to have luck with the collar).

I've seen dogs really messed up by the collars when they are improperly used by people that refuse to read up on them, refuse to watch the DVD's/videos and just start blasting away on what can end up being a confused and fearful dog.

Other good resources to supplement a good trainer are:

http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/obedience/rffcome.html

http://www.loucastle.com/articles.htm

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not every dog requires an ecollar, for certain. Only those pets that don't respond to verbal commands or hand signals IMO. The ecollar offers a "tap on the shoulder" to gain their attention.

I need to use the ecollar on Heidi, first dog ever that required it at my house. Her trainer showed me how to use it; otherwise, I wouldn't have felt comfortable using it.

The one tip I would offer is to make sure the collar is put on way in advance of a training session...they become collar savvy quickly. Then, leave it on for a while after.

This, like other training tools, i.e. prongs are meant to be temporary until the goal is reached...until the dog "gets it" and responds to the commands without the use of the tool.

Thanks for the link to LouCastles articles...great resource. I bookmarked it

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have trained quite a few hunting dogs with them and will not train any other way. That said, it has to be done right or you can ruin any dog. It is a tool for enforcement, not punishment, and if done right it wont be needed after a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I am a new member to this site and forum, My GSD understands the recall command, heel, sit, down, stay, etc.. and will perform these commands alomost 100% while on the leash, and probably 80-90% off the leash. However, I have researched e-collar training and purchased an "Innotek ultra remote trainer", she has responded well to the sit and down commands, using escape training. She is having a problem with connecting the recall. Any advice on the following: is it normal for the dog to master the down and sit prior to the recall on the e-collar, and is Innotek a good e-collar. Thanks in advance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts