German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Me and my wife are planning on moving to the Netherlands, amstelveen area or there a bouts from South Africa, next year. The one major thing that got us worried is our two GSD's. At the moment they have a yard to run around in the whole day when we are at work and then in the house when we are home, and we have sunny to fair weather, nothing like EU winters :)

What do people do with their dogs during the EU winters during the day? And is is really realistic to think we will have enough space for two GSD's, even if we take them for walks etc.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I have lived there and it is one crowded country, especially the area you mentioned. It is hard to find areas where you can have your dogs off leash. I personally would not have large dogs there unless you live rural, if you can find an affordable place. The weather is unpredictable; you can have mild winters or heavy ones, hot summers or chilly ones. Many people have large dogs but the majority walk over to a field, let them pee and poop and go home. Most dogs are inside during the day. You can PM me if you have more questions.

·
Registered
710 Posts
From the photos from all my Facebook friends in The Netherlands, it seems there's always a lot of open space to take the dogs someplace. Of course, these people do not live in Amsterdam, but the smaller cities. And they leave their dogs inside during the day.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was born and raised in Amsterdam till I moved to the USA later in life. Amstelveen is very close to the Amsterdamse Bos (Amsterdam Forest) great for doing long walks with your dogs. As well as the beach is really not that far and during off season dogs are allowed on the beach. The biggest issue would be where you would life, a freestanding home with a garden or the 6th story in an apartment complex. Because The Netherlands is such a crowded country especially the "randstad" is really populated and yards can be quite small. The house I grew up in had a backyard that was about 10 x 10 meters and in the city that is huge. As far as what to do with the dogs during the day the majority do leave them inside as the winters can be quite miserable. And depending on the type of job some people go back home for lunch if they live close enough to let the dogs out for a walk in the middle of the day.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Oh, yes, the beautiful dog beaches. Those are always my favorite photos. I was staying in Scheveningen and my friends met me at the dog beach near Wassenaar. (I think.)

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
The good thing is that most rentals will allow dogs and you can take your dogs everywhere, even in many restaurants. You probably can make it work as the country is basically dog friendly, just these darn leash laws everywhere. But the Dutch are pretty "flexible" with these. In every city there are dog clubs. Good dog training franchise schools are the "Martin Gaus Honden Scholen (= dog schools). They might be a good resource for you.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Great country, I have spent a lot of time there, and dogs are adaptable, as long as they get their exercise, they will be fine..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts