German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lacy is nine and started getting these big ...zits..or boils (for the lack of a better term) on her back and sides. They started up last summer. We first noticed one when she scratched one open and all this pus came out. We cleaned it up thinking it might have been an ingrown hair and it healed up fine.
Well she kept getting them and we took her in to the vet and they said "sometimes they get them when they get older"

She opened up one and cleaned it out and said we should 'pop' them when they get big.
sorry, I have a bad time with that thought.
I don't think this is normal. She has a good appitite and she is eating Canadae, she looks great, the only problem is these lumps. Has anyone heard of a GSD getting these? I'm starting to wonder if the vet missed something and it's a symptom of a bigger problem.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My Mom's older Yorkie gets those bumps, her vet too said to pop them. I'm not sure what it's from though, and I'm not sure if it's normal for a senior GSD to get them. I hope you get the answers you need. Best wishes

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
sebacious gland cyst's. sometimes they get really bad and have to be removed by the vet.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i think mnm is right,annie had one(small)the vet popped it!
told me that it was a cyst.i guess if they are small,you can pop them?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
My old boy was about 8 when he got his first sebeaceous gland cyst.. I think they're more common in older dogs. They're harmless, but they can grow to quite a size, in which case you can have them removed. Luckily his biggest one wasn't large enough to be annoying. But once he got one, quite a few seemed to pop up!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll look it up and see if there is anything I can do for her.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would just leave them alone unless they get too big and are in a bad place. My vet has never recommended popping them. My basset has lots of them and the vet just checks them out whenever he gets new ones. If one suddenly starts growing I take him in to the vet and they get removed. Sometimes when they burst they end up getting infected so I would watch them carefully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts