German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im new to the boards.

I have a question regarding those who have rescued.

I just rescued a 8 mo. old GSD mix from the local shelter. We named him Jack and he is a perfect doll. The first night we had him he had a cough and was hacking up a foamy white liquid. We figured it was a kennel cough and went to the vet the next day.He had a fever of 103.5 and was starting to have mucus drip from his nose which is greenish in color. They gave him a shot of penicillin and started him on a round of antibiotics. I didnt like the vet much and didn't feel like he gave Jack enough time and since the next day he wasn't feeling much better I went to get a second opinion. His fever was down to 102.5 but still had a runny nose and cough. Ends up he has whipworms and hookworms. We got him some meds to take care of that but yesterday his fever spiked to 104 so we just put him in a cool tub and wrapped him in a wet cool towel to keep it around 103.

This morning his fever has subsided to 103.1-103.3 but he still is really lethargic. Through all of this he is still eating/drinking ok. He is being picky and will only eat chicken/Turkey and ice chips. I also have him on 1000mg of fish oil to boost his immune system.

The vet says I am doing everything I can do but I am just hoping its a bad kennel cough or canine influenza and not distemper.
Anyone else have these problems? He is not having any eye discharge, just out his nose.

Wasnt sure to put this under rescue or health but i figure this was the best place.

Id appreciate any help, I am so scared and I dont want to loose this lil guy

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Welcome to the board. I'm sorry your first post has to be about Jack being sick.
The poor baby looks so sad in that picture.

I really can't offer any advice, but was wondering if the vet said how long it would take for the meds to kick in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said it usually takes 3-4 days for the antibiotics to start to work. Hes been on it for about 3 now. I can't tell too much of a difference in his energy though. Im just hoping his fever stays down today.

I just feel so helpless, i just want to do everything I can for him. Poor pup is miserable
But Im glad he is here and comfortable rather than in the shelter

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
It can happen, not unusual. The type of antibiotic he gets can make a difference. Some upper respiratory infections (URI) respond to doxicycine but not well to other antibiotics. I pulled one dog that may have had canine influenza, it was definitely something atypical. It took quite a while for her to recover and she was on doxy and baytril. Good supportive care is important and you need to try to get him to eat. Some worms have development stages through the lungs. I would avoid vaccinations until he recovers. Some kennel cough vaccines can cause KC symptoms too.
Good luck with your puppy, it sounds like you are doing everything you can.

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
Welcome to the site, big thank you for rescuing and I am sorry Jack is sick. I would also post in the health section as after awhile this may get lost in the rescue area. Does he seem dehydrated? Maybe some pedialite or gatorade frozen in cubes will help him w/ his fever(instead of ice chips). He is a cute lil guy, sending positive healing thoughts to you

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: RebelGSDIt can happen, not unusual. The type of antibiotic he gets can make a difference. Some upper respiratory infections (URI) respond to doxicycine but not well to other antibiotics.
I read that yesterday, if i still don't see much improvement in the next couple days Im going to call the vet and ask if I can switch to that. He is on clavamox right now which I have read isn't very effective if the infection is bad.

Originally Posted By: onyx'girlDoes he seem dehydrated? Maybe some pedialite or gatorade frozen in cubes will help him w/ his fever(instead of ice chips).
He has been drinking ok but that is a good idea with the pedialite. Im sure the vitamin C in it wouldn't hurt. I will try that today thanks so much!

oh btw, i just took his temp and its down to 103 which is a big improvement since yesterday! Im prayin it keeps goin down

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
He is adorable. When Markie first came to me, he had a really bad URI and was in isolation at the vets for 5 days. When he came home he had to still be isolated from my dogs for another 10 days. They never did figure out what he had and he had to stay on antibiotics for another 10 days. His travelling companion, Tanya, had the same but didn't need to extra 10 day antibiotics. Both are now happy and healthy puppers.

Its a good sign that he's eating and drinking. You can also post in the health section for more advice too, some people have a hard time going in the rescue section. . . . . .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry for the duplicate thread!

I just took him out and for the first time it wasn't all liquid. The majority was solid and there wasn't any blood in it. Thats a good sign, right?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks!

He seems more alert today, actually lifting his head and interested in what we are doing while we clean up.

My other pups are isolated in their kennels in the next room and not very happy about it. I can't wait till they can all play together. I figure they will be ok in a couple days as long as his symptoms subside.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update:

Just took his temp, his fever is down to 102.5. Which is the first time in 2 days that his temp is somewhat normal! He hasn't coughed up mucus since this morning although his nose is still dripping.

I am going to go prepare his dinner and freeze some grapefruit puree to help him get some vitamin C until i can get to the store for pedialite.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah good idea. i decided to go with frozen pumpkin instead. That always seems to calm my beagle's stomach when she has a loose stool.

Little Update: at 3pm I took his temp and now its down to 102.1 which is awesome. His nose boogies seem to be getting thicker and isn't as drippy. Does that mean its drying up?

Words can't describe how happy I am that he seems to be getting better today. I spent all yesterday teary eyed and scared for him.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Pup was doin better and his fever just shot up again to 104

We tried to feed him some dinner (chicken and mashed pumpkin) but he didnt want any. He ate a lot of chicken earlier so it might be that he is just full but he just seems a bit worse than earlier. I feel just so bummed that his fever is back. We gave him a cool bath and are wrapping him in a wet towel with a cool pack near his belly.

His mucus is hardening on his nose but is still coming out on a regular basis. We are just trying to keep it moist with neosporin. I can tell its very sore to the touch.

Please pray for my pup!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Okay-I am known to be excessive in my worries and probably do overreact. BUT, I think I would call my vet and see about IV fluids and possibly stronger antibiotics until he can get that fever down. Maybe some chest x-rays too? I don't know, but I would see if he could go in if not tonight, early, early tomorrow morning.

It could be pneumonia among other things and he's just a little thing.

Sorry-I get nervous and forget my social skills-you are doing a great job monitoring and caring for him.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You are doing a great job but a phone call first thing to the vet clinic could help ease your mind...it sure won't hurt having the vet take a look and see if he does need strong antiobiodics...

Jean has some good instincts...I am so glad that others are giving you advice...

Had he been vetted at the shelter? Was he up to date on his vaccinations before you got him?

He is SO CUTE...I hope that morning will bring some good news that his temperature has stabilized...

Keep up the good work. Judy

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no, thats ok. Im also a constant worrier. I wasn't expecting his fever to shoot up so suddenly. Just 2 hours ago it was 102! After his bath and some cloths it went down to 103.5 if it shoots up again Im calling his vet. I voiced my concerns about his fever to her yesterday and she said its normal for him to have a fever with his antibiotics. Although if he is not better by the morning I will make an apt. to see the vet in the morning to have some tests done.

As far as IV Fluids, he is staying hydrated (doing the pinch test) is loving ice cubes. Which makes me optimistic.

Just know that I will do anything and everything for this dog, Its amazing how close you can get to a pup in only 4 days.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally Posted By: Judykaye

Had he been vetted at the shelter? Was he up to date on his vaccinations before you got him?
Thanks! Being on here and gathering info I feel is the only thing left that I can do, aside from keeping an eye on Jack and taking his temp every 1.5-2 hrs.

He was vetted at the shelter and got a parvo/distemper/rabies shot but he was a stray so his history is unknown. I am praying so hard that this is not distemper. although he is not throwing up food and has no discharge from his eyes and his stool seems to be doing better, im leaning more towards him having a really bad case of tracheobronchitis or possible canine influenza. But this is me trying to keep positive.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts