German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever a dog is doing something like I want a treat or jump on the bed I say no. However dogs fight back with a please and no face sad experssion or ignoring and just look with happy face. Lobo's guardians are away and I'm napping on their guess bed for me. Lobo is not allowed on bed cause it is high up same level as their bed. Although lobo likes to put his 2 front paws on the bed kissing me then come on up and lay on me despite all the offs and no. He is adolescent so listening is a problem. Don't get me wrong i love it just trying to obey lobo's guardians. Lobo does have a mind of his own. This isn't the only thing I let him get away with. For Riley he loves balls or water he is not allowed balls at all (long story) and once in a while dont want him in the water. The dp water is actually from the sewer place which is right next door. Teeka is treats. Nico treat me like a baby. Bottom line is I'm too soft with dogs that I let them get away with it gotta get that habit out. I guess we all got bad habits l.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Requesting thread to be moved from "aggression", this is not an aggression related post.

OP please post in the proper categories:)

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Requesting thread to be moved from "aggression", this is not an aggression related post.

OP please post in the proper categories:)
@GoldenGloves

It is a good bad and ugly kind of thing doesn't has to be aggression.

·
Registered
32,022 Posts
Actually, aggression can be good, like when the dog takes a good full bite on the sleeve and does not shirk when the batan is whipped around.

It can be bad, like when a dog snaps at a four year old that walks past his food dish.

Or it can be ugly, like when an adolescent dog does not know the caretaker that her owner has left in charge, and is not sure whether or not to eat him when he comes in her kennel, so she runs up when he has his back turned hosing her mess, and gives him a quick nip in the butt.

But the section IS for aggression, and what to do to improve upon it.

As for your question, you seem to have a soft spot for critters. And that is ok. But you need to think about this. If you allow bad habbits while you are caring for someone else's dog, they are going to have to lay down the law and make the dog rather uncomfortable while he re-learns the house rules. As unfair as it might be for the dog to have to undergo corrections for something you allowed, his owners will have to do this to get him to discontinue the things they do not allow. For his good, I would enforce the rules they have set down.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
As for your question, you seem to have a soft spot for critters. And that is ok. But you need to think about this. If you allow bad habbits while you are caring for someone else's dog, they are going to have to lay down the law and make the dog rather uncomfortable while he re-learns the house rules. As unfair as it might be for the dog to have to undergo corrections for something you allowed, his owners will have to do this to get him to discontinue the things they do not allow. For his good, I would enforce the rules they have set down.
Agreed!

Also they probably have their reasons. Maybe they don't let him on the bed because he gets territorial up there, and you let him on the bed and suddenly he bites you when he doesnt want to come down?
Its best to follow the rules told to follow if you are responsible for someone elses things.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, aggression can be good, like when the dog takes a good full bite on the sleeve and does not shirk when the batan is whipped around.

It can be bad, like when a dog snaps at a four year old that walks past his food dish.

Or it can be ugly, like when an adolescent dog does not know the caretaker that her owner has left in charge, and is not sure whether or not to eat him when he comes in her kennel, so she runs up when he has his back turned hosing her mess, and gives him a quick nip in the butt.

But the section IS for aggression, and what to do to improve upon it.

@seizer

Lobo is not aggressive this isn't an aggressive matter. Ugh fine request to change thread.

·
Registered
32,022 Posts
@seizer

Lobo is not aggressive this isn't an aggressive matter. Ugh fine request to change thread.
I have kind of an unrelated question. Why do you use the @ symbol before my user name -- what does that mean?

And the name is Selzer, not Seizer -- I'm kind of attached to the name, as it's been my handle for over forty years now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Selzer-- I'm not involved in the topic of this thread, but I thought I'd let you know that "@" placed in front of a name or username is meant to be "to". So if I wanted to respond to you directly, I might put "@selzer" = "to selzer"

I teach teenagers... It's hard to keep up with their lingo :p

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
32,022 Posts
Selzer-- I'm not involved in the topic of this thread, but I thought I'd let you know that "@" placed in front of a name or username is meant to be "to". So if I wanted to respond to you directly, I might put "@selzer" = "to selzer"

Thank you for the explanation. I think of the @ symbol as "at" Like [email protected]. I would have never gotten the "to."

I don't know if I could teach teenagers. I mean, I have a minor in math, and aced all but one of my college math courses, but I can't figure out 1st grade math. This Singapore Math is just flat out weird. So these second graders (in August) are keeping me on my toes trying to stay a step ahead of them on the piano, and in their Singapore Math.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have kind of an unrelated question. Why do you use the @ symbol before my user name -- what does that mean?

And the name is Selzer, not Seizer -- I'm kind of attached to the name, as it's been my handle for over forty years now.
@selzer

Oh "i" and l looked the same it tags u u get notified

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lobobear- are you sure it notifies here? I thought that was just in the main networks like Facebook and Twitter?

Selzer- you teach math in Singapore?! Crazy! Math was never one of my strong subjects... I teach music. At least in music I only have to worry about basic math ;)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
a please and no face sad experssion or ignoring and just look with happy face
When you say no the dog doesn't understand and is giving a different reaction at different times. If I'm instructing a dog to not go onto something I don't allow it to place paws or face on the furniture or whatever. That is the dog claiming the item.

It is easier to offer the dog a place to go. I simply say into bed and point to a blanket on the floor or the dogs bed. The dog finds this easier to understand.

If the dog moves or tries the bed again you simply direct back to the place. The dog then begins to accept the place you give him.

·
Registered
32,022 Posts
Lobobear- are you sure it notifies here? I thought that was just in the main networks like Facebook and Twitter?

Selzer- you teach math in Singapore?! Crazy! Math was never one of my strong subjects... I teach music. At least in music I only have to worry about basic math ;)

No, the girls' school started the Singapore Math program last year, and in my opinion it is insane. I have a minor in math, and my major is engineering. My sister is a JD-MBA, one of her roommates is an Engineer, and the other an MBA, and none of us could figure out what they were trying to accomplish on this first-grade work sheet.

Ok, to be fair, the program says that it should not be started before second grade, but I think that that was not noticed when the school started it.

I babysit the girls, and while I am there, I cook, teach them about dogs -- sometimes with live'uns, help them with their piano lessons, do vision-therapy, occasionally cart them from here to there, help them with their math, make them read their books, and currently, I am most of the way through reading them The Hobbit.

They are doing Math Monkey this summer. I can at least follow what they are doing. The Singapore Math program, well, I am just not a fan.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

@Imuns

Actually I have trouble with tech stuff for a teen. I still can't figure out how to transfer songs from my computer (broken) to my iPhone. This has been lasting for 3 months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts