German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a leather sectional sofa set today because:
1) I'm tired of the dogs rearranging the furniture (sectional will be attached and in the corner where it has nowhere to go);
2) toys will no longer get caught in the "in between" space of the sofa and loveseat;
3) I'd like to be able to clean the entire living room with a leaf blower.

Does anyone have any experience with leather furniture and dog nails?

We generally don't let the dogs up on the furniture but that doesn't stop them from using it as racetrack banking when doing zoomies from one room to the other :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have a toy sized dog and he has put a few nicks in the leather couches, but they are so much easier to keep clean and dust-free it is worth a few scratches/nicks. If you are concerned I'd keep a throw blanket over the couch for the dogs.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I love my leather couch. The dog is not supposed to be on that one, but of course she is anyway. I have had it a number of years now and still no tears from the nails. I agree - very easy to keep clean. I hate our other furniture too. It is in the basement family room. It was cute and we could get it through the door - no easy task. However....It is soooo uncomfortable. We allow the dog, rabbits, and kids on it. If we manage to destroy it, maybe we can get something more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
We have leather furniture and its nice. Easy to clean and doesn't collect dog hair. Sigurd doesn't go on the furniture so I haven't had an issue with his nails doing any damage. The only thing I don't like about leather -- it's SO cold to sit on at first, you have to wait for it to warm up with your body heat.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have leather furniture. Ive never had problems with nails with a few slips OD dog getting on couch?
Just FYI, I did put frontline topical on mt little dog and she decided to jump on couch and it discolored it. I had to get a lady who works on upholstery to use dye to fix it. It did blend in well Thank God! So no dogs near furniture after applying topical!!!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Sigurd's Mom, maybe you could have a fanny heater put in, like they do leather seats in cars. OOOOOH, I LOVE those.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I love our leather couch because I can vacumn it!! I like the comment about the leaf blower lol

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
We had a leather sectional when I lived with my parents. Dog's nails didn't do a thing to it, even when they were due for a trim. ;)

·
Registered
31,947 Posts
I love my leather couch. I bought it on sale. It is a medium brown distressed leather. So toenail marks do not mar it.

My sister's is a dark reddish brown, smooth as a baby's bottom, and if my dogs went near the thing it would be ruined forever.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You know, actually, I bet a GSD would be less likely to nick the leather. My small dog made his "marks" on the couch when he was jumping up trying to get on them, using his front paws to occasionally claw his way up! He is kinda short :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
I think it depends on the finish of the leather. If it is totally smooth, scratches will show more than on a slightly pebbled finish. Our guy doesn't get up on the couch but the cat took a few divots out. I looked for some shoe polish in the same shade and use that to cover the marks. I love the easy clean aspect of leather. Dog hairs wipe off and where my husband sits to read the newspaper, the leather wipes/conditioner take the grime right off. No more shampooing!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sigurd's Mom, maybe you could have a fanny heater put in, like they do leather seats in cars. OOOOOH, I LOVE those.
Once you confirm you didn't just wet yourself, it's a delightful feeling to suddenly feel your butt getting warmer! :D

Thanks for the input everyone! Unfortunately it is the "smooth as a baby's butt" leather but hopefully a throw blanket will help :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Chocolate brown leather couch here... LOVE IT!

No dog/cat fur attaching itself to it and it is easy to clean (just wipe it down).

I don't allow rough housing on the furniture so there are no nicks or scratches.

·
Registered
490 Posts
We have a microfiber/leather sectional that has no issues with the pup

I hate dogs that are on the bed, couch, chair, beg, bark at anything from inside the home, ect.

However the cats do lay on the couch, chairs, bed.. Because od their size. And cat claws are much more rough than dogs.. No issues with our furniture!

·
Registered
42 Posts
We maintain the nails using a dremel ensuring the edges are smooth

Helps us keep the leather furniture and car interiors safe

Never had a puncture

·
Registered
31,947 Posts
I love to curl up on my couch with one of my dogs. They keep my feet warm. The leather couch has been the absolute best purchase I made in the ten years I have been here. If I have to relocate to under the bridge, I hope I can drag the couch with me.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
no leather furniture here. not our style but have seriously considered it a couple of times. friends have a leather couch and their dog uses the livingroom as a race track most of the day and they've no issues and she makes sure to dig her nails in to EVERYTHING she touches so i would say they're pretty awesome.

·
Registered
906 Posts
i love to curl up on my couch with one of my dogs. They keep my feet warm. The leather couch has been the absolute best purchase i made in the ten years i have been here. If i have to relocate to under the bridge, i hope i can drag the couch with me.

lol :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts